surrmix2audigy from compaq and this error PLEASE help...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by shuki, Jun 20, 2002.

1. shuki

shuki New Member

PLEASE! someone help! I keep getting the same error when attempting to install the surrmix2 from the compaq driver set. On a clean XP OS install. Drivers went on fine via the CTZAPXX.exe then rebooted and really want to put on the surround mixer but when I try and install I keep getting the same error message....

The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed.
    The system cannot find the file specified

Can anyone offer any help?

2. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

the surround mixer isn't really changed at all. don't worry. the drivers are what count.

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yes I just asked my mate on ICQ , and he agrees with dallasstar completely.

4. shuki

shuki New Member

it's still driving me bananas though! I had them on with not one single hitch two days ago but now after a drive image restore (prior to installing any audio or video drivers) I can NOT get the surround mixer to install :( I tried putting on the sound mixer from the CD after I installed the drivers but it keeps wanting to install drivers from CD too..... hmmm.

5. HardwareHeaven

dallasstar please check your PM btw, thanks

6. HardwareHeaven

Re:

you could try, (a long shot), the repair XP via the CD.... maybe some files are corrupt. running regclean might also clear any traces, to reinstall cleanly.

7. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Well maybe his download for the Compaq drivers is corrupt??? I'm sure when I loaded these with my Audigy it installed the mixer just fine.

You also may want to try rolling back your drivers (if you can), and then try removing them.

8. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

No, I know the problem. It happened to me when I first reformatted too. Now, after about 2 months, it installs fine. I don't know what exactly the problem is. I guess you can wait two months like me and then install. right? I think the reason for this is that maybe most installshield installers install the ikernel file etc automatically if you don't already have it and because these files were ripped from a 377 mb cd, they might not have the automatic installshield upgrade that most installers may have. that's my best guess. just wanted to let you know that I've experienced the prob too. (sorry for not saying so earlier) The reason that after two months that it would work may be because I installed other programs using installshield.

keep in mind: this is just a guess.

9. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

you may want to somehow find installshield's website and find some form of download that may fix this. i'll look for it.

10. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

11. shuki

shuki New Member

thanks for your help and concern DS! So I went back to a clean drive image and installed from the original CD. I installed drivers, surrmix, and audio HQ. Got it on and setup for my 4 speaker with sub setup but...... my rear 2 channels are not separate! when in surrmix I do "test" in speakers is says "rear right, rear left" well sound comes out both rear speakers at the same time... I then got the compaq drivers only installed and still have the same issue. Driver issue? hardware issue? creative being suckekeke issue? any ideas how I can get this working again with winXP?

12. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

Well, first, I'd recommend at retrying to install surmix2 that came with the compaq drivers. If that doesn't work, make sure that in your surmix settings, that you have your speakers are set up as 4.1 speakers. If you don't do that, it won't do it right. Also, check if its possible to get a digital connection to your speakers through spdif. If that is possible, then your probs are solved (though its rare with 4.1 speakers).

If none of that works, then you can read my last post about the installshield site and at least try that i guess...... there's not much more you can do. I remember trying everything to get it working and then one day, it just worked (without me doing anything). I never actually identified what exactly it was that fixed the problem.

13. shuki

shuki New Member

well I finally had to give up on the compaq drivers :( I tried everything to get them to work. on a clean OS install the drivers went on via the exe. just fine. but each time I tried the surrmix2 I would get the error. Even d/led two different ones to make sure the d/l wasn't corrupt. same error on both. But with the compaq only drivers I could only get sound out of the front two speakers (regardless of what I set speakers to under control panel->sounds).

I then put in the original SB audigy disc on a clean OS install and surrmix and drivers went on fine with supported surround sound in all 4 speakers. But when I installed the compaq drivers it put it back to only the 2 front speakers and hosed surrmix. when I clicked surrmix nothing happened. Then I tried rolling back drivers to original ones and well, you know how well audigy drivers like to be messed with :uhoh:

back to yet another clean OS install. put on drivers and surrmix from original CD and got surround sound working properly. then just went to audigys site and d/led the latest drivers upgrade (like january I think) and put those on. That's where it stands now. Me with latest audigy drivers from creative and working surround sound. Just frustrated that I could not get the compaq ones on again..... :(