Surround sound prob

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by L1Qu1D, May 12, 2006.

1. L1Qu1D

L1Qu1D New Member

Just started using the w1ck3d KX driver4my A2plEX (connected to a Sony 5.1 SACD STRDE-595 thru the Creative home cinema cable for analog reproduction) last night and I find it heaven on earth.. 2wice as good as the original thing I was using. Last night, I was able 2listen2 Stereo MP3's in 5.1 channels yet this morning I cannot :confused: .. what have I done.. and what can I do2fix this?

I was all prepared last night to start adding low/high EQ's to individual channels yet this morning.. nothing.. help?

/EDIT
    To add.. I have changed external codec settings so I could watch a movie last night.. could this be the source of my agony? Should I un-install it?? Altho.. thinking bk, the problem happened after I installed winAMP, yet when I played bk through winAMP I determined it was simply the fact that winAMP wasn't understanding the extra channels (Wierd I know..) just b4hand.. I did use Media Player and it downloaded the fraunhofer codec.. can anybody help??
    /EDIT

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Check your Surrounder settings (speaker setup applet). You will only get 5.1 sound from stereo sources (MP3's, etc) when using a 5.1 setting with Surround set to On or Copy.

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Did you change the default audio device for Windows? You should probably use kX Wave (0/1) as the default device in order to upmix stereo sources.

4. L1Qu1D

L1Qu1D New Member

thanx for the reply Russ.. I should have added that I have enabled surround and I have even sorted out my rear width.. bass redirection and all, even still after checking, my rear, centre and sub are still turned off.. could it be any of the thingz I mentioned in the edit??

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It is possible that it is the codec (depending on what the codec is used for), but if that is the case, it should be configurable somwhere. What codec did you install? Have you tried MP3 playback using a different Media Player?

6. L1Qu1D

L1Qu1D New Member

Ok.. the audio settings were set on KXwave SB0320 HQ so I have now reset that back to KXwave SB0320 0/1 yet unfortunately, im still getting the same problem.. I do notice that none of the analog speaker levels respond, not even the fronts on the mixer in/out page.

/EDIT
    Last night I could use Mediasource no prob and I was getting surround 5.1 for the first time ever on MP3's. Even added myself an ac-3passthrough in between x-routing L/R and surrounder L/R which was stunning. Since using Mediaplayer (must be that.. installing winAMP wouldn't cause any probs..??) and downloading the fraunhofer MP3 codec its transformed the sound back into 2 channel.. with no response from any analog speaker out..

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Are you not getting any sound at all now, or is it just that you are getting stereo only sound?

Regarding WaveHQ, that might be OK, I am not sure which FxBus pins it uses, as I do not have an 10k2 card, but for now, stick with kX Wave (0/1) until you get it working again, and then you can give WaveHQ a try.

8. L1Qu1D

L1Qu1D New Member

I've got it on KXwave 0/1 (none HQ) again.. not sure how it changed, maybe when I was using Cakewalk Sonar.. yet i will stick with that. Thanx for helping in this ever confusing thread!!!!!

and yea.. thats whats hapnin'.. stereo only sound with no response in the mixer pane for even the front or rear channels (had2make sure as they do swap with my card).. any more suggestions??

9. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

An ac3-passthru plugin? I am not sure what that would do for you with an analog speaker setup (or is that digital speakers?)

I do not think the fraunhofer MP3 codec should cause any problems. (BTW: That codec only works with certain MP3 files).

You can always reintialize the DSP, to set everything back to the defaults, and then setup Surrounder again for 5.1 sound.

10. L1Qu1D

L1Qu1D New Member

ok.. I should have said this before, yet the AC-3passthrough worked an absolute treat and even after that I was still getting my full 5.1.. even better than orignally. I also tried to restore all defaults this morning on the DSP and the mixer yet that hasn't worked. It just seems as if something is blocking me from assigning individual channels which im guessing is one of those external codecs I was messing with. Im going to uninstall ALL external codecs.. then re-install my audio hardware if I have2! Shame there isn't a bindings list order as is in networking.. which im a student of :lol: .. that all seems2simple yet this is strange.. will get it sussed soon enough! Keep on suggesting stuff if you can while I go ahead and do this kamikaze styleee :evil:

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Regarding the AC3 passthru plugin, again I am not sure what that would do for you. Also, I think that plugin is older. For AC3 passthru, you should just use the AC3 passthru option in kxmixer rather than the plugin, but again, that is for a digital setup (i.e. you need an external decoder to use AC3, and it only works with AC3 encoded audio).

Make sure Windows itself is still set to 5.1.

Rather than reinstalling kX, you might want to try a 'Reset Global Settings', as that should bring it back to its newly installed state.

Also, try clicking on the Reset AC97 button on the AC97 page of kxmixer, as sometimes that fixes odd problems.

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ahh, ok, I just looked up the info on you Sony 5.1 SACD STRDE-595. I did not realize that it was a digital receiver. What is the Creative home cinema cable that you are using (I believe it is an anlog cable, is that right?)? How is it connected to the sound card, and to the receiver (it is using the analog connections, right?)?

13. L1Qu1D

L1Qu1D New Member

Just re-installed global settings through the tray icon-->device-->global settings. Also did the device settings again, DSP settings again and AC97.. which justy2verify with you.. gives the same result as completely re-installing my driver? Just there hasn't bn a change, through the "master" mixer page I can control my wave.. then on the "ins'outs" page I get no functioning from the volume control for the front speakers, or rear.. or any?? Yet im definitely using my multi in on my reciever! Like I said b4hand.. its as if there is an external program or codec controlling the overall function. I notice in my FXbus there aren't any controls for wav4/5, wav6/7 or wav 8/9 which would be my rear, centre/sub and side channels maybe? There are only controls for wav0/1 which are front speakers?

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Try the kX speaker test applet, as that should not be effected by any codecs.

Reset Global Settings basically resets kX to the default state, but it does not always work the same as doing a completely clean re-install.

As for FxBus. that GUI is for kX Router, and that is normal. Those controls are FX Sends.

You did not change any settings on your receiver, right?
    Double check you connections to the sound card and receiver, to be sure one of the plugs did not come loose, etc (if you have not allready done so).

15. L1Qu1D

L1Qu1D New Member

Yea.. the A2 platinumEX is powering my STR-DE595 (which is a digi reciever altho also has SACD inputs for discrete analog 5.1 inputs) using a 7.1 cable made by creative which connects the front L/R outputs on my A2 to the L/R on the reciever, my surround L/R on A2 to SL/R on the Sony and center/sub out to the correct channels also.. I just leave the side surrounds unplugged at the reciever end. Although it isn't made specifically for my 6.1 card, when 5.1 was set last night then the rear centre capability of the A2 was ignored and just used 5.1. Its a cool setup.. when it worx! Especially with 6 Wharfedales pushing the power. To clarify, it worked fine last night.. yet now, its wierd..

16. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, so AC3 passthru really is not going to do anything for you, as you are not using the digital inputs on the recever, nor the digital output on the soundcard.

Did you see my previous reply? I am curious as to your results with the kX Speaker Test applet.

17. L1Qu1D

L1Qu1D New Member

Riiiight! Sooo.. I just tested the speakers with the test applet for my 5.1 and all 6 channels are working. Yet, the analog speaker volumes are still not working and still only getting stereo MP3's. Last night I could do all that, change individual speaker outputs AND get 5.1 MP3s.. yet i've restored all defaults, global settings etc and all I get is 2 channel.. its a shame that you haven't got a Audigy2 with similar setup to confirm that its possible to get 5.1 through MP3s.. am starting to think i was dreaming????

18. L1Qu1D

L1Qu1D New Member

I should still be able to control individual speaker volumes tho.. yes?

19. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Regarding 5.1 sound with MP3's:

Most MP3's are stereo only, so the best you can get with those is an upmix to 5.1 (Surround ON/Copy) for a simulated 5.1.

However the Fraunhofer Surround MP3 codec, allows for the creation/playback of Surround MP3's, but again, that is only with certain MP3 files (ones that were encoded with Surround information). It will not do anything for normal stereo only MP3 files.

As for the analog volume controls, I am not sure why they would not be working, unless you are not using epilog, or maybe you have both epilog and kxlt loaded at the same time (or some other non-default DSP configuration that is interfering with it).

20. L1Qu1D

L1Qu1D New Member

FIXED! Strangest thing.. even though I re-initialised the 5.1 speaker setup after restoring global settings earlier, just did it all again AND re-enabled 5.1 and now worx fine.. mark this thread CLOSED!