Suse 10.2 how to install folding?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by PandaZ3, Dec 16, 2006.

1. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

I have installed Suse 10.2 with the Gnome desktop and it does seem nice, a bevy of products on the DVD that are a snap to install. Ah but to install something you down load like folding@home... I downloaded the client and put it in it's own folder on the desktop,,, but how do I actually install and run it? I thought I followed instructions, but apparently I am confused... most of the instructions are generic and it seems most of the Linux systems are specific, close is not good enough. I am not clear if consoles and terminals are the same thing. I apparently don't know how to "Make it executable" It is not clear to me if I am even typing in a "Command Line" or just a scrap of desktop

I really only want to know how to install folding on a Suse Linux machine. I don't think it would be helpful at this point for me to know how to put it on a "Red Hat" "Mandrake" "Ubuntu" "Lycoris" or some other Linux, it is not what I have

I am not very interested in Operating systems.... I just want to get some use out of the computer

Oh the machine is a Intel 845 GBV, 2.4B P4, 2 X 256 PC2100, ATI 9000 Pro 128

If anyone can help me get folding going on my Suse Linux machine I would appreciate it.

2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

http://folding.stanford.edu/linux.html

Basically extract the tarball somewhere, chmod +x the main file and run it.

Code:
    cd ~
    tar xvjpf /where/you/put/the/tarball
    cd folding (or whatever the toplevel folder is)
    chmod +x FAH5-Linux.exe
    ./FAH5-Linux.exe

3. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Okay, I'll try that... Thanks

4. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Turns out I was having a configuration problem, It is folding now for the ATI team

5. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Well done :)

6. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Usually most people report troubles... not this time I had downloaded the X64 version of 10.2 (to a DVD) a couple of weeks ago and finally got a case to put my latest machine together.

I have for this installation a ABit UL8 which has a ULI 1689 chipset, a 3800 Venice (Single core A64), 2 X 512 PC3200XL, ATI 9500 Pro, a 20X DVD-RW (Lite-On), Floppy and a 80 Gig WD Sata HDD. 350 W PSU. I am not dual booting

The initial installation took a little more than twenty minutes and it stopped once to say it had a problem with some RPM, I pushed the retry button and it worked. Then I think the updates actually took longer, I did elect all of them. and one would not take after five re-tries, so I skipped it and all went well, the machine is folding as we speak.

This was easy.