Swearing at Adobe Flash Player

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by TheFox, Jan 22, 2017.

1. TheFox

TheFox New Member

How often do you do it? Me, almost every hour these days! This stupid Adobe creation has been giving me nothing but hypertension lately crashing my browser more often than not.

There are two things I don't understand:

1. Why is it always buggy and vulnerable when it is one of the most frequently and annoyingly updated softwares in existence?
    2. How come this crappy piece of work is so popular?

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'll start with the second question. Back in the day, there weren't too many options for creating web pages with advanced functionality and Flash made it possible to add all sorts of interactive and multimedia features and even games or 3D animations so it got really popular. And even when other technologies began to appear, when one has a popular plugin that everyone has and the other is new and also when one technology is well known to the developer and the other is new, people stick with what they know and what the market has already accepted.

As for the first one, when you spend years making a piece of software with rich functionality and access to local resources and hardware, and you don't necessarily focus on security initially, because you want to focus on adding new features and the threat levels weren't that high and the malware itself wasn't as sofisticated, you have a security minefield in the making.

Plus it's not like it's the only insecure piece of software that constantly needs patching, just look at the Java plugin, or browsers themselves for that matter.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  3. TheFox

TheFox New Member

I get problems with other software, but nothing compares to adobe flash. This is by far the worst plug-in I have ever used. Can't wait for HTML5 to take over!

4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

To be fair HTML 5 has pretty much taken over already. And @IvanV don't remind me about Java, please, if I could unlearn it I would lol.

IvanV likes this.