Synching Audio playback on multiple sound cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zen_man, Aug 8, 2005.

1. zen_man

zen_man New Member

Can anyone provide detailed, step-by-step instructions for getting the Audigy 2 ZS to synchronize audio playback (WAVE out) with another sound card (Yamaha SW1000XG) as the timing master? Is this even possible?

I've seen this mentioned in other threads (i.e. chaining several Creative cards together so they are synchronized, connected via S/PDIF) but the detailed instructions seem to be on web pages that no longer available.

I have tried connecting the SW1000XG S/PDIF out to the Audigy 2 ZS CD-S/PDIF input. This connection works (Audigy registers CD-S/PDIF input and routes it to output without distortion, pops, etc.). However, when I try to play a WAVE out, that audio is garbled (but the audio from CD-S/PDIF in continues to play well).

I perform this test within Sonar, with the SW1000XG WAVE #1 set as Timing Master for both playback and record. Sample rate set to 44.1K. By the way, when I set the Timing Master to Audigy, then it plays fine, so I know there is no electrical or installation problems with the card or driver.

Within KX project, I have set the S/PDIF rate to 44.1K. I've tried "Direct S/PDIF Record" option but that seems to make no difference. By the way, the DSP Factory cards can only operate at 44.1K sample rate.

My System:
    Windows XP
    Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4
    Audigy 2 ZS
    KX project driver rev 3537, WDM
    Yamaha DSP Factory (SW1000XG w/ PLG150VL and DS2416), WDM
    Dspctrl3 software
    Sonar 4.03

I would like this function to work so I can directly record the outputs of the Audigy Synthesizer + Effects to a Wave file. I plan to do all my external recording through the DSP factory, so I'm only concerned about recording Audigy synth to Audio within the card.

I suppose a workaround would be to switch "Timing Master" back and forth between SW1000XG and Audigy, as needed.

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

set SPDIF to 48khz - that's the only way its going to work

3. zen_man

zen_man New Member

Do you mean that the incoming signal must be at the 48Khz sample rate? Or do you mean that I should set S/PDIF sample rate to 48K in KX Project Mixer, regardless of incoming signal from the SW1000XG?

I believe the SW1000XG is limited to 44.1K sample rate only, and only outputs S/PDIF at that frequency.

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the DSP on the 10k2 is locked at 48khz, but i think it can be synced to another SPDIF clock, but the frequency must be 48khz

5. Nappylady

Nappylady New Member

As a matter of definitions, I think it's important to point out that when you chain Live! cards together, you are not syncronizing them. Each card automatically resamples SPDIF inputs to its own master clock, so when you go to your application (e.g. Cubase SX, Reason, etc.) the application only interacts with one ("master") sound card--and thus, only deals with one clock. The "slave" soundcards are not synced to the "master" sound card; they still go at their own clock rate; just the "master" makes up for it by resampling their output to match its own clock rate.

Thanks.

6. ElmoLesto

ElmoLesto New Member

Then.. there is no way to put two sblives together for multitrack recording?

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

yes there is, but you will have a small degree resampling as the master card processes the signal from the slave card
    i myself have a pair of kX cards working together