synthesizer kx modular system 1

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by stylus02, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I do not think that the non-bundled versions of kxm are compiled for the 64 bit version of kX, so any .kxl modules are not going to work. You will probably have to stick with the bundled version(s) (assuming that they work with 64 bit version of kX), or maybe use 3551a 64 bit with 32 bit kxmixer.

2. stylus02

stylus02 New Member

oh hell 64 bit ...

i tried it only on windows xp -32 bit- with 3551 (a?) and 3545. so i am really out of futuristic (todays) windows. if there is a chance to get it run on such machines i will keep an eye on it.

russ: do you think it works with a 32bit mixer on 64bit windows?

3. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

Îòâåò: Re: synthesizer kx modular system 1

I do - they finally wearied me so I create a new topic (just a stab, to be expanded with more info - how to totally repace the 64-bit mixer the 32-bit one (registry, paths etc...))

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

AFAIK, it should work.

Note: Just to be clear, I am not talking about the 32 bit version of kX, but rather than 32 bit kxmixer that is included with the 64 bit version of kX (3551a).

5. catalyst

catalyst Overclocker

Ok, I reinstalled both kX 3550 and kxm 3.0 build 3550 and can now see a bigger (I guess complete now) list of modules in the KXM Synth section of the DSP Plugins menu, and adding modules into the DSP arrangement/flow-chart area now works without the previous error.

I'll have a go at loading kX up as a VSTi later...

6. stylus02

stylus02 New Member

perfect.

7. catalyst

catalyst Overclocker

Just as an update (for other Win7 64-bit users' benefit), I had to install the kX 3551 driver, and now when loading any of the kxm presets, the modules all load in the DSP, and all the GUI modules appear as you would expect... on kX 3550 (on Win7 64), only k2lt and TheSmallDelay load in the DSP, and no GUI modules appear...

so in summary:

For Windows 7 64-bit, you need to install kX driver 3551, and then kx modular loads and works correctly

I've been messing around with some of the preset synths for a while, and really love the sound :)

What I'm not sure about is, am I supposed to have the full list of modules in the Plugins menu of the DSP? I only seem to have a sub-set (Win7-64, kX 3551, kxm 3.0 3550)... of the list from previous posts in this thread I'll mark the ones I can see:

kxm 100 - 3 octaves keyboard unit (midi support)
    (KXM Synth) kxm 120 - keyboard unit
    kxm 150 - universal divider (usefull as octave divider)
    kxm 160 - universal 4x multiplier (usefull as octave multiplier)
    kxm 200 - multi vco saw, spaced saw, triangle, square, pulsewidthed square (aliasing)
    (KXM Synth) kxm 210 - multi vco saw, supersquare, triangle (aliasingfree!)
    (KXM Synth) kxm 220 - white & pink noise
    (root) kxm 230 - digital sample oscillator
    (KXM Synth) kxm 300 - 4 channel mixer module
    kxm 310 - 8 channel mixer module
    kxm 320 - 6 channel mixer module
    kxm 330 - 2 channel mixer module
    (root) kxm 340 - double 7:1 merge
    kxm 400 - adsr envelope
    (root) kxm 403 - adsr envelope
    (KXM Synth) kxm 500 - MOOG Lowpass -24 db/oct
    kxm 510 - state variable filter -12 db/oct
    kxm 520 - double MOOG lowpass -48 db/oct
    kxm 550 - -6db/oct lowpass filter
    kxm 560 - -6db/oct highpass filter
    (KXM Synth) kxm 600 - standard vca
    (KXM Synth) kxm 700 - multi lfo saw, spaced saw, triangle, square, pulsewidthed square
    kxm 800 - resampler 1-24 khz
    kxm 810 - waveshaper logaritmic, exponential, cut
    (KXM Synth) kxm 820 - ring modulator
    kxm 830 - bit crusher 8..1 bit
    kxm 900 - unisono module
    kxm 910 - phaser module

So, some are showing in the KXM Synth sub-menu of the DSP plugins, and some are in the root level of the DSP plugins, but a lot aren't showing, and aren't showing in the kxm installated folder (as a .kxl file). Is this because the missing modules have not yet been rebuilt for the v3.0 version of kxm? Or have I installed the kX driver and/or kxm incorrectly? Or is it because of the 3551 driver vs 3550 build (like is that what the limitation mentioned previously is)?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  8. catalyst

catalyst Overclocker

Ok, I've been playing around with kxm using my MPK Mini as the Midi input for kxm120, now this is all well and good, but I can't figure out how to set kxm up for automation/sequencing... I've used VSTi instruments and external MIDI instruments, but er... I guess this falls into a standalone soft synth category, which I've never really used...

1. What Midi input am I supposed to be using for playing kxm from a sequencer?
    2. Do I have to use some sort of Midi loopback software?
    3. What Midi output do I use in my sequencer?
    4. Do I have to use any kX routing or anything?
    5. Can I map MIDI CC# to module controls? If so, how would I achieve this?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm used to setting the MIDI output in the sequencer either to a VST instrument, or a MIDI out port (physical), so I'm a bit lost with this "imaginary" MIDI input for kxm from a sequencer...

9. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

For kX Automation stuff (assigning CC's to plugin controls, etc), use the kX Control MIDI port.
    To play from a sequencer, you need to use something like Midi Yoke.

10. catalyst

catalyst Overclocker

ah brilliant, cheers, will have a mess about when I get home

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

BTW: If your MIDI sequencer is 64 bit then you may not be able to use MIDI Yoke and may have to find a similar driver.

I have not tried it myself, but apparently it will install on Windows 7 64 bit (turn off UAC and run the installer as Administrator), but the ports will only show up in 32 bit apps.

12. stylus02

stylus02 New Member

there is no error or something. the basic bundle of kxm v3.0 is free including 11 modules. years ago there were unskinned modules, which were in experimental state, from todays view. they were partly included in later driver versions. eugene collected a lot of code examples , which helped me (and others) to go into all that sophisticated stuff. the menu- structure and plugin placements results from that thing. i think we can live with it for now.

actually there exist 9 additional modules for v3.0. because the dimensions of this project (all in all 40 plugins) and the advanced usability i decided to give these addons not for free anymore. if anyone is interested in please contact me. take a look at my website for further informations.

https://sites.google.com/site/kxmodular/addons
    https://sites.google.com/site/kxmodular/addons/kxm_addons_v3.0.bmp

stylus

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  13. TB412

TB412 New Member

Îòâåò: synthesizer kx modular system 1

Im not see KXM155

14. Majorx234

Majorx234 New Member

I have problems with KXM and Midi Control with KX Automation. I try to control KXM500's CUTOFF and RESONANCE by midi control events but it didnt work as expected,it only jumps between 2 values i guess.

15. stylus02

stylus02 New Member

the most important parameters should not work properly? that would be a really show- stopper. i checked it just now. everything works fine (v3.0) with standard midi controllers (values 0-127) from a synthesizer. i can't image why you get only 2 values on it. (did you use some kind of midi processor between?)

stylus

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  16. stylus02

stylus02 New Member

hi guys,

i placed a donation button on kxm webpage. donators would get the "mysterious" kxm addons . :taste:
    for more informations about that go to kx modular homepage

cheers

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  17. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

do these work with kx version 3552

18. stylus02

stylus02 New Member

thats a good question. i didnt yet install 3552. but if the basic kxm bundle works, the addons should too. thats what you can try. i check on 3552 and give a feedback on this later.

19. stylus02

stylus02 New Member

cant get run kx driver version 3552. "Fatal Error: Incorrect KX GUI API version. Reinstall KX Software" (win xp 32bit)
    has anyone 3552 running on this system?

20. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

kxm120 is the only one that is installed by the kx installer - but that suggests it was compiled with 3552

A plugin I wrote against 3550 library worked in 3551 but not in 3552. So, I'm guessing they wont work

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014