System Requirements Question

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by IamLakota, Feb 2, 2007.

1. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

I just built the system (in my sig) and decided to run the "tool" to see if it met the requirements for Vista,..What a joke. It gave me a barely passing score is this true or do I need to upgrade to 4gb's of ram and a quad core cpu??? Well at least it's great joke software.

2. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

It could be because your video card drivers are not optimized yet for Vista.

It may just take some time for things to get fleshed out. Vista does look like it wasn't quite ready for Prime Time, and the way they handled the OpenGL thing could be a real problem until Nvidia and ATI have a chance to work that issue out so we don't get left holding the bag on our OpenGL games.

DirectX 10 is fine - but the fact that they undermined OpenGL is really annoying.

3. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

Yeah, I'd also vote for the drivers. My system, seen at left, shows:

Processor 4.2
    RAM 5.0
    Graphics 5.9
    Gaming Graphics 4.9
    Primary Hard Disk 5.6

Your system smokes mine, so I'd have to say it's because of the lack of built in driver. What do your details indicate?

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

My system scores the following:

Processor: 5.0
    Memory (RAM): 5.9
    Graphics: 5.9
    Gaming Graphics: 5.9
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

Overall Score: 5.0

(kinda weird seeing all those 5.9's and then a overall of 5.0, but hey whatever, i understand that ms is saposed to release an update that is going to increase the available scores..)

Another interesting thing to note, the Hard disk Score, using just 1 320gb SATA 2 16mb Cache Seagate 7200.10 drive, it scores 5.9, using 4 of them in raid.... well i wonder what it would score there :D )

plus i'm curious if it takes into consideration, crossfire... wonder if i would score higher.

5. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

The score is based on the lowest score, not an average. Currently 5.9 is the maximum score in a category.

6. Datagg

Datagg Back To ATI

Mine reads

Processor: 5.2
    Memory (RAM): 5.2
    Graphics: 5.9
    Gaming Graphics: 5.9
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.4

Overall Score: 5.2

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Is it possible to get this test for the XP?

8. Uncle

Uncle New Member

I agree with the above, the nvidia people are crying in their beers because of the fiasco concerning the vidio drivers. Hints of class action happening for nvidia for false addvertizing saying the new cards were Vista ready.

9. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I don't blame Nvidia at all. I don't blame ATI either.

I blame Microsoft.

It is THEY who altered the way video is handled (now in an outer ring instead of an inner - which is good). It is THEY who tried to kill-off OpenGL by only allowing it to run, by default, within a DirectX wrapper. It is they who dictated the changes and did not provide enough information to the video card makers to properly prepare.

Maybe they are striking back at Nvidia because of that sour lawsuit thing with the original Xbox? Who knows?

But it is Microsoft who caused this, and both Nvidia and ATI have to deal with trying to write their own core OpenGL functionality that bypasses the DirectX wrapper limitation.