Taking hella long to post!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by jepherz, Jan 26, 2013.

1. jepherz

jepherz Active Member

This just happened all of a sudden, no software/hardware changes. When I turn on the computer it takes about 5 minutes to get past the post. I just ignored it, this only started about a week ago. Everything seemed normal except for the long post, then my windows suggests I go to "standard view" or whatever due to low performance. I wasn't doing anything strenuous either. The next time I turned on the computer it took pretty much 15-20 minutes to get past the post.

What's going on? Could my PSU be dieing on me? I have a 750w that I've been using for 3 years. My Rig:
    Quad core 9450
    radeon 9670 2gb
    2x2gb + 2x1gb = 6gb total DDR2
    2HDDs

I've tried unplugging all my USB cables except for the mouse and speaker and the post seems back to normal. Does my rig really use that much wattage and is my PSU really almost not able to handle this anymore?

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It certainly looks like a problem with boot devices. When I started reading I was going to say "Check if network booting somehow got enabled", but when I got to the part that there are Windows issues, I'd say that mkk has the right idea with the hard drives as the most likely culprits.

4. jepherz

jepherz Active Member

Actually you guys might be right. My computer makes this weird screeching sound that lasts about 2 seconds, this happens very rarely so I have no idea what part inside my computer is actually making the noise. But I always suspected it to be the hard drive. I'll run that program tomorrow when I have time.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

That makes hard drive an even more likely option. I guess Seatools will provide the answer, but do any of these sounds match what you hear?

6. jepherz

jepherz Active Member

Nope, mine is a steady sound. It just sounds like very high pitched "eeeeeeeeeeeeee". I can't tell if it's mechanical, like parts of hard drive scratching like nails on chalk board, or if it's some audio warning noise. I don't think I'll have time to run this til monday...

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

You just might not have 'til Monday from what it sounds like.

8. jepherz

jepherz Active Member

Hmmm, I turned it on last night and it blue screened on me. I've seen this screen before and usually let it run the physical memory dump (don't even know what it's for). But this time it was stuck doing the memory dump so I just restarted it. I unplugged the second HDD and ran the tool just on the main HDD. I did the "long generic" test and it passed. Was that the right test to run? I'll try to run the test on the other hard drive tomorrow hopefully.

9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

That's what I would have done myself under the same circumstances. But, once you've finished that long test, does the PC boot OK without having the 2nd HDD connected?

And, as for running the test on the 2nd HDD, you won't need to disconnect the main drive to do it. And, this test can be run while in Windows without having to restart at all.

Back on that first test: Did you get any results that indicated that it found and corrected any errors ... of any kind?