taking vocals only

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by DJ BIG T, Jul 25, 2009.

1. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

sup DH!!! im looking for a software that will let me take vocals only off a song and add a new beat to the vocals you know remixing a song.. i have goldwave no luck and acid pro 7 and still no luck...if theres a way plz share...

2. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

well, there is now way to take ONLY the vocals from a song, some of the instruments will still remain in the background... :S... on the other hand, removing vocals from a track (making them not appear in the song) is so much easier... ;)

one of the methodes i have tried and that gave pretty good results was a bandpass filter with a center frequency of about 1KHz, to about 2, 2.5, maybe 3KHz, depending on the vocals depth and tone... you would have to play with these settings a little bit of course, cuz it's not only the vocal that playes a great role in the final product (the stripped down voice), but also the rest of the instruments in the song, what is their nature, are there any string instruments, etc... experimentation is one of the best methods during this process... some reso in the neighbourhood of 1KHz, to about 2KHz could make a difference too... this is not exactly and exact science... ;)

3. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

well i did get a program called audacity that lets you take vocals off songs...
    but and keep the song only but not the vocals what i am going to do is start up my virtual dj 6 software set the kills on lows and highs and record the vocals and give that a try ill let you know by tommrow how it came out..

4. GigaWatt

not a bad idea... ;)... post how things go with that... ;)

maybe i could use it on my Behringer VMX-300 mixer some day... ;)

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Audacity is from Soundforge I was recording a few open mic tracks with it on the weekend. Not sure on removing vocals though ...

6. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

7. GigaWatt

this software removes the vocals from a track/song... DJ BIG T needs a software that "strips" the vocals from a song... ;)

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Many of the "noise removal" plugins that come with audacity can be monitored either track without the noise or just the noise...... fairly easy to set the "noise" equal to the vocals and it should do a respectable job either way, stripping or removing.

You may have to get the VST add on and the VST pack along with audacity...... all on the same download page.

9. GigaWatt

i don't know if you can equal vocals with noise (a noise signal is ranged across the whole spectar, while instruments and vocals have a specific range of frequencies, and they are not active across the whole spectar at all time, like noise), but not a bad idea, definitely should give it a try... ;)

if this actually works, will keep it in mind, for future use... ;)

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

The "noise" (I quotated it specifically to separate it from general noise) can be any signal and any specific frequency, or set of frequencies, many of these are just filters that can zero in on a sound and remove it (or do the opposite and hear only it)

I never used this for vocal stripping but they could be used this way.

11. GigaWatt

aaaaaaahhh... you meant it in that way... ;)... i thought you meant noise, like white or pink noise... ;)

actually, that's more or less what i suggested, a bandwidth filer... ;)

12. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

k yesterday morning i recorded the voice on a song using virtual dj killing the low and highs off it then had to go to work and didnt get home til 1:30am now im just posting to let you guys know..when i get off today ill add a new song to the vocals..mac audacity does take vocals out of a song but lets you keep the song not the vocals...heres a link on how to do it mac if your in to that..YouTube - Rip Vocals from Your MP3 Files - Audacity Tutorial
    ill keep you guys posted..:D

13. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

This should work in theory:
    - copy the audio file with the song;
    - load both files into the audio editing program;
    - remove vocals from one of the files;
    - now invert the version without the vocals with "Invert" or "Opposite phase" command, or by multiplying the recording by -1 ("Linear amplification");
    - mix both recordings together with "Mix down".

I hope it works. :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  14. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

ty ivan ill give it a try later today i been so busy the last few days im trying to start my own lawn company so its been very busy picking up jobs left and right.. soon ill be able to buy my own stuff thats what im saving for now..

15. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

That's some big news, Big T! Congratulations and good luck with your start-up. :)