TBreds or Low Breds? Which Codes Mean What

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Jan 18, 2003.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

this article is sourced from overclockers.com and can be viewed on their website. it remains the property of Ed Stroligo

To make this easy, what you need to know is listed by processor speed.

The OPN information is printed somewhere on every AMD CPU. For all Palominos, if you're looking at one, the OPN is the first code printed on the core of the CPU located in the middle of the processor. For all Thoroughbreds, the OPN the first code printed on the black area on one edge of the CPU.

This information is based on current AMD datasheets. These are subject to change, but AMD usually doesn't put new processors out before changing the datasheets.

For low-speed (i.e sub-2400+) Athlon XPs, there are two critical indicators in the OPN.

AX1700DMT3C: Voltage
    AX1700DMT3C: Maximum temperature

The following codes mean the following:
    Voltage

L: 1.50V
    U: 1.60V
    K: 1.65V
    M: 1.75V

All Palominos have default voltage of 1.75V, so all Palominos have voltage code of "M." TBredAs have a default range of 1.5-1.65V. TBredBs have a default range of 1.6V-1.65V.

Maximum Temperature

T: 90C
    V: 85C

All AMD processors with a rating less than 2200+ have a maximum temperature of 90C, so they're all "Ts." Anything above that has a max temp of 85C, so they're all "Vs."

Two Kinds of TBredBs

There are high-end and low-end TBredBs. They aren't all the same. The high-end ones on average perform several hundred MHz better than the low-end ones.

You can identify which type of TBredB it is by looking at code that begins the second line of coding on the processor. If you see a code like "AIUHB" that begins with the letter "A," that's a high-end TBredB.

If you see a code like "JIUCB" that begins with the letter "J," that's a low-end TBredB.

Here's how these codes translate in real life with real chips:

1700+

Palominos: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AX1700DMT3C, that's a Palomino.

TBredA: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA1700DLT3C, that's a Thoroughbred A.

TBredB: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA1700DUT3C, that's a Thoroughbred B.

If you see a code like "AIUHB" that begins with the letter "A" on the second line of the processor codes, that's a high-end TBredB.

If you see a code like "JIUCB" that begins with the letter "J" on the second line of the processor codes, that's a low-end TBredB.

As of now (1/15/03), all TBredBs sold at this speed are low-end "J" TBredBs.

1800+

Palominos: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AX1800DMT3C, that's a Palomino.

TBredA: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA1800DLT3C, that's a Thoroughbred A.

TBredB: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA1800DUT3C, that's a Thoroughbred B.

If you see a code like "AIUHB" that begins with the letter "A" on the second line of the processor codes, that's a high-end TBredB.

If you see a code like "JIUCB" that begins with the letter "J" on the second line of the processor codes, that's a low-end TBredB.

As of now (1/15/03), all TBredBs sold at this speed are low-end "J" TBredBs.

1900+

Palominos: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AX1900DMT3C, that's a Palomino.

TBredA: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA1900DLT3C, that's a Thoroughbred A.

TBredB: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA1900DUT3C, that would be a Thoroughbred B.

However, AMD's datasheets do not currently show a 1900+ TBredB, and as of now (1/15/03), there have been no sightings of any. Since both the 1800+ and 2000+ TBredBs have a default voltage of 1.60V ("U"); it's very safe to say any 1900+ TBredB will also.

2000+

Palominos: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AX2000DMT3C, that's a Palomino.

TBredA: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA2000DKT3C, that's a Thoroughbred A.

TBredA/B: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA2000DUT3C, that could be either a Thoroughbred A or Thoroughbred B. The only way to distinguish between the two is by the stepping code.

All TBredAs have a stepping code which ends in "A," like "AIUGA." All TBredBs have a stepping code which ends in "B," like "AIUGB."

There's two listed TBredA types in the AMD techdoc. One uses 1.6V, the other uses 1.65V. The TBredB is solely 1.6V.

If you've determined a CPU is a TBredB, if you see a code like "AIUHB" that begins with the letter "A" on the second line of the processor codes, that's a high-end TBredB.

As of now (1/15/03), there have no sighting of TBredBs, and only one sighting of a TBredA at this speed.

2100+

Palominos: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AX2100DMT3C, that's a Palomino.

TBredA/B: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA2000DUT3C, that could be either a Thoroughbred A or Thoroughbred B.

All TBredAs have a stepping code which ends in "A," like "AIUGA." All TBredBs have a stepping code which ends in "B," like "AIUGB."

As of now (1/15/03), the only sighting of 2100+ TBreds have been TBredsBs sold by Newegg the last few days, and so far, they have all been high-end TBredBs.

2200+

TBredA: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA2200DKV3C, that's a Thoroughbred A.

TBredB: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA2200DUV3C, that's a Thoroughbred B.

As of now (1/15/03), no TBredBs have been sighted at this speed.

How To Buy

There's two ways to buy a CPU, either over a website, or in person.

Websites rarely list CPUs by stepping code. They will, however, sometimes list CPUs on their webpages and provide their OPNs. That's the ordering number.

So long as we have all these different type processors around, you should NOT order from any place that doesn't have the OPN listed along side the processor. If you do, you could well end up with a Palomino when you expected to get a TBred, or get a TBredA when you expected a TBredB. After all, the webpage said you were going to get an XP1800 or whatever, not that it was a Thoroughbred. If you want to send it back, expect to get hit with a restocking fee if the place has one.

On the other hand, if you order from a reseller that shows the OPN on the webpage (and save the webpage) and the OPN on the webpage indicates a Thoroughbred, if you get a Palomino, you're protected. They didn't send you what you ordered, and you have proof of it.

If you think I'm overly paranoid, well, I've been in this situation, and it works.

Never accept a salesman's verbal word that you'll get the "right" one. Most places have their goods in warehouses, often miles and miles away. The salesperson couldn't find out even if he wanted to, and many salesmen will tell you anything to get the sale, then deny it later. Always get it in writing before you order, any reputable place will be happy to do that if it's possible.

Website pages aren't always accurate. If there is any contradiction in the description of the item (i.e., the product is called .13 micron or "latest technology," but it has a Palomino OPN, either find another place, or email the reseller asking for written confirmation on just what it is they are selling.

What I've said works fine with OEM chips; retail boxes are another story, especially if you're buying in person. I just looked at a TBredA box, and there is no obvious indicator what kind of processor comes in the box. (There is a sticker with a code like 19-103-352, but that doesn't correspond to any codes we're aware of yet).

More details on this here

voltage mods here

2. Furious

Furious I'm blind not deaf!!

I received one of the "AIUHB" 2100+'s from Newegg this week. I'm running it at 2ghz right now until my EPOX motherboard comes in Monday. I'll probably be running at at least 2.2 ghz on that board because it has the options to allow me to get it stable at that speed. I've already partially run 3dmark at 2158mhz but my motherboard is out of spec at that speed and I can't get enough voltage to make it stable.

3. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

lowend tbred

Well you could call JIUCB for lowend, but i've seen severeal who are able to oc JIUCB to 2.3 and JIUGB to 2.4 and more :eek: My self is runnung a JIUCB 0251 1700+ @1800 MHz, it's garantied to run 1900 and i belive it can go 2.2 easily :D

notice: a 1700+ is running 1466 MHz

4. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Re: lowend tbred

Even more according to CPU database (http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/).:)

5. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

;D

running 2130 now or 2600+, nice for a 1700+ cpu, but a JUIHB wouldn't be bad, knows several people who runs over 2300 mhz :eek:

6. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Re: ;D

Hmmm... maybe it is worth getting it then, dunno.

7. Impulse

Impulse l33t

Thanks for writting this guide, Zardon :w00t:

8. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Just a note, Zardon didn't write it, Mr. Stroligo did...

9. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Now here is a real question

I have an Athlon XP 2200+ and the code on it is RIUGA

What the heck does that mean?

10. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

It means you're looking at this article 2 months after it was posted :p Seriously, though, do you know if your chip is T-Bred A/B or Palomino?

11. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Well, Palomino's only went up to 2100+, and looking at the last letter 'A', leads me to think it is a Thor-A.
    The leading 'R' is the weird thing . . . perhaps it is a "low-end" Thor-A, like the JxxxB's are "low-end" Thor-B's :hmm:

12. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

My guess would be on it being a T-Bred-A, and maybe a mildly misprinted A on the front, so its actually A (ARARAR look similar :) ) AIUGA, which makes it a mid-stepping T-Bred-A I think...

13. Impulse

Impulse l33t

I took notice of that. I meant to thank him that he posted this on the forums, my mistake... :uhoh:

14. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Im fairly certain its an R.

Im pulling off the HSF today to replace it with my volcano 9 so ill take a look at the code then for you guys.

and if its an A id have to say its rather nice as with only a increase of .9VCoreA i have managed to overclock it from 1.8Ghz to 2.0Ghz with the FSB at 166/333 so now its a 2400+ ;)

I may just step that up a bit this time around when the new HSF is on it heh

15. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I understood what you meant, as long as the guide has helped some people. its nicely done.

16. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

ok sorry this took so long guys

i got in my replacement Antec PSU last night and when I installed it in my machine and turned it on the damn thing blew just like the last one

note to self.....never ever buy antec PSU's again

especially when the 300W generic power supply is running perfect even when overclocked

anyways it is indeed RIUGA. Which I have never heard of at all.....but one odd thing is I did see 2200+ "B"'s listed as CPU's made by AMD but it says they have a U instead of a K but mine is definitely a K so im not sure what the heck is goin on.....all i know is that this is one sweet o/c'in cpu....i may just try to push it harder tonight ;) (i can only push it up to 12.5 and im at 12 right now so :p)

17. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Gah, don't worry, its something I just noticed at that time too :p ;)

18. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

according to this little tool on the front page this is what my CPU is

_Athlon XP Processor
    Low-quality
    _Core
    Thoroughbred-A
    _CPU Model
    _Performance Rating
    2200+
    _Working frequency
    1800 MHz
    _Package Type
    OPGA
    _Operating Voltage
    1.65 V
    _Max Die Temperature
    85° C
    _L1 Cache Size
    128 KB
    _L2 Cache Size
    256 KB
    _Multiplier
    13.5x
    _FSB Frequency
    266 MHz
    _Stepping Code
    RIUGA
    _Manufacture Year
    _Manufacture Week
    _Production Batch
    M
    _Batch Production Number
    _Downgraded from
    2600+

Seems I didnt get too bad of a deal after all since I now have it operating at close to 2600+ speeds with a 333FSB

19. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Aha!

I was right! :w00t:

:D

20. -={420}=-

-={420}=- New Member

Finally got my processor! And here are the stats from the script:

Athlon XP Processor: High-end
    Core: Thoroughbred-A
    CPU Model: 8
    Performance Rating: 2200+
    Working frequency: 1800 MHz
    Package Type: OPGA
    Operating Voltage: 1.65 V
    Max Die Temperature: 85° C
    L1 Cache Size: 128 KB
    L2 Cache Size: 256 KB
    Multiplier: 13.5x
    FSB Frequency: 266 MHz
    Stepping Code: AIUGA
    Manufacture Year: 2002
    Manufacture Week: 40
    Production Batch: W
    Batch Production Number: 0104
    Downgraded from: 2600+

Ok, it's a tbred a but it says high-end. And it was downgraded from a 2600+, sweet! Oh, I think I know why cuz AIUGA is high quality and RIUGA is low quality. So, besides being a tbred a there's no cons to this processor.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2003