TCP Optimizer

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Tone VAIO, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Anyone ever tried thiss program. It is suppose to work for Windxp and 2000 i believe, and speed up internet.

Is it safe?

2. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

yes it's safe there are many apps that can do the same thing it adjusts your MTU and TCP window sizes

3. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

and it doesnt really make a difference :)

4. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

go to this page http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/ then read the section "Increasing TCP Receive Window for Microsoft Windows"
    and then try modifying Window size using the Method 1 on the page...
    first try using the info you see in the section High latency* - 63K Window,
    backup your registry and then edit the Windows registry manully or just download and import the "2KTCP64K.REG" (if you use XP) and then reboot after.

do not change any Windows default settings at time time other than the TCP Receive Window size and see...

5. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I've tried this app and changing the settings manually but to be honest my internet connection runs best at windows default settings. Changing the Receive Window setting to anything over the default just slowed me down (this is on a 20 Mbit cable connect). I do go through a router though, if that makes a difference I dont know

6. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Hmm..does a router have anything to do with it? Im new to this so i don't really know.

7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

what's your internet connection type & speed?

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

@kn00tcn: This is an ongoing discussion from another thread. Type of connection is DSL.

@Tone VAIO: We need to know what router you're using. Most 'should' auto detect the speed. However, have you tried connecting straight from the computer to the DSL modem? That will tell you whether the router is causing any of the slowness.

9. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

I use DSL as DYRE stated, and I should be able to get 1.5 MBs but can't because of location. I can get upper 600's. I get the same speeds when im plugged into the ethernet as i do when im wireless.

I use a 2wire modem that has wireless built in. I don't use anything seperate like Linksey's or NetGear.

10. Dyre Straits

OK, then. Not very encouraging, but, definitely some better information.

It does appear that the problem is in your location and, very likely, your distance from the CO. (Central Office) I had DSL at the other house before we moved and could never get better than 750 due to distance. Still, it was much better than 56K dial up!!!

Anyway, I need you to download a couple of apps and check your system for Spyware....if you haven't done this yet.

Two that are VERY popular and highly recommended are:

Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot Search & Destroy.

I run these at least every other day. Ad-Aware always finds some tracking files and I clear those out. SS&D has rarely found anything at all, but, it looks for things that Ad-Aware seems to miss.

After running these and cleaning out any spyware, do this:

Disable your Firewall and then check your Internet connection speeds again. (Use those Speed Test links posted earlier.)

If, after doing these things, you still have slow speeds, I think you need to bite the bullet and realize it's not going to get better unless your DSL provider upgrades the system in your area. OR, you go to Cable Internet.

We're all pulling for you, though, and good luck!

11. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Another thing to note is line quality. Poor quality of phone lines can also effect speed. This is a big problem right now for a lot of providers, especially with Bell Canada. There are a lot of areas that have old phone lines, and they can't provide DSL service to certain areas due to this. The old ones that they can get DSL service to get crap speed anyways.

BTW, TCPOptimizer is a very useful program, germanjulian. You won't really notice any improvement in XP because it knows, or rather it was built with support for highspeed internet. Where you will notice a difference in XP is with providers that have crap service. Doing some tweaking of settings within XP can sometimes stablize speeds, or fix intermitant problems with bad connections. Now, where TCPOptimizer, or any similar optimization tweaks have a huge benifit is on all other Windows OS before XP. Those were made with other services in mind, such as LAN, ISDN, and dialup (among others). Without those highspeed tweaks things would run like molasses (especially on Win9x OS).

12. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

for the Windows TCP/IP settings there are a lot of both documented and undocumented registry values that can be set by users, by default most of these values are hidden.
    different tcpip service registry settings tweakers have recommended different registry value and data, so not all of them works equally well on all systems. one may find that none of the tweakers program that he have tried have helped... but again there are tons of these registry tweakers out there.

13. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

I have Ad AAware already, and have used Spybot in the past. I would bet my savings that my system is clean. I think they said i was 18000 feet from the CO. They also told me that they shouldn't have offered me DSL in my area, because it wouldn't be fast. I don't think its THAT bad though.lol

I tried one tweaker and it didn't work, but it was a long shot anyway. My question is, if you are far away from your CO would tweaking the tcp thingy help, or is doing that more for systems that are closer to their CO and still not recieving the benefit. I guess what Im asking is, does tweaking your registry only help if you are close enough to your CO? Or is it a tool to help any broadband user. If you are in an area that can only get so much juice, it doesn't seem like messing with the registry would do any good.

I might get cable when the dsl contract runs out, but its a little steep to me.(price for cable i mean) 49.00 dollars as opposed to 12-14.99 a month.

14. Dyre Straits

They are right! If you're 18,000 feet from the CO, they should not have even attempted to hook you up. I was 17,000 and found out after the fact that Bellsouth shouldn't have hooked me up. Still, I was getting something like 750K and happy with that.

So, if you're paying $12-15 per month for what you're getting now, it's much better than Dial-up.

And, no, tweaking just isn't going to do you any good because of the distance. We probably should have started here rather than some of the other options we suggested.

Cable is likely your best option to get good broadband speeds.

15. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Ok. Thats what I though. I figured the tweaking was for people who were in the right distance, but not getting the power that should be.

Yes it is definitly better than dial up!!! And I apologize if i didn't provide enough info. I gave it as i got it though! lol I didn't know how far I was away from the CO until the tech came out.

For software downloads, I will just stick to the cd versions.lol