"teaming" two cards output via ASIO?

Discussion in 'ASIO' started by eyekahn, Jun 27, 2005.

1. eyekahn

eyekahn New Member

I suspect I already know the answer to this question, but am posting in hopes that I'm wrong.

I just added a second SB Live to my KX box in hopes that I could route output to two different cards via the ASIO outputs. In my host application, I can only select one card or the other via the control panel, but not both. I'm assuming this is one of those limitations of ASIO, but would really like to be able to split my output. If this is possible, could somebody please point me in the right direction to get it implemented correctly?

TIA,

eyekahn

2. TCBJohan

TCBJohan New Member

Hello eyekahn!

Yes it's possible. I'm using two SB Live cards myself and can use both cards asio ports at the same time using the Asio4all drivers. Works like a charm!

http://www.asio4all.com/

3. eyekahn

eyekahn New Member

TCBJohan,

Do you use asio4all in addition to the kx drivers, or as a replacement for the kx drivers? Anyone else have thoughts on the asio4all solution?

regards,

eyekahn

4. Marbleface

Marbleface New Member

I had the same problem when starting to learn the ins n outs of asio a few weeks ago. Try using all of your 'potential' outs of ONE card (primary)... map from ASIO to all analog AND digital outs on this card. On the other card (host) map from digital in to analog outs.
    Physically connect your primary's dig outs to your host's dig ins and all should be well. Your host card will act simply as a DAC. You will have pretty good flexibility by linking them this way. Depending on how you route within your DSPs you could have presets to allow for maximum outs or give up one of the dig pairs for an added LINE IN or two.

You may need to do a forum search on the Aud_Ext connector for your dig connects.

I tried using Asio4All and it pretty much chewed my wires, so I've decided to stick purely with kX (it seems to be built stronger). Don't rule out the possibility of Asio4All tho, many people have had good experiences. In the future i am looking forward to even more flexibility with a program that allows selection of multiple cards... I think Cubase does but have yet to really look into it... need to save my $ first. Then I could use my dig outs of every card to send to external DACs (thanks TravelRec) or dig mixers ... same with my dig ins... with an external dig mixer maybe I could mega MultiTrack record, and at 24bit too, with my 3 new Audigy2ZS.

I'm still installing, soldering, and tweaking right now but I will post my final results.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  5. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

connecting the cards via digital means is probably the most fail-safe method

it's the one i would personally useā€¦ i think my cards are actually set up for that atm - i'd have to check my wiring though

6. Nappylady

Nappylady New Member

How does ASIO4all get past the sync issue with multiple cards? I've set up multiple cards using the WinMM ASIO driver and kX, and the timing goes all to hell within a minute of starting Cubase SX up! What's different about ASIO4all?

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

WinMM ASIO is not a real asio driver, it just uses directsound

ASIO4ALL is a true asio driver, and the sync issue is minimal

8. eyekahn

eyekahn New Member

As per another thread I started on here, I'm getting snap,crackle, pop on any secondary outs on a single card. If I could solve that issue, a single card (two discreet stereo outs) would resolve my issue.

I tried asio4all last night on the box in question, and it was nothing but pure distortion... The only thing I'm using the second card for at the moment is so that I can route windows media player output independently of my asio out while I'm rehearsing all the songs for an upcoming gig. My asio out ties through a volume pedal prior to getting to my mixer, and I needed the recordings to not go through the volume pedal...

If I could just solve my snap,crackle, pop and anything but the main outs, I wouldn't need the second card.

regards,

eyekahn