The all new Aston Martin Transit

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by blibbax, Nov 14, 2012.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Looks like Ford is replacing it's US commercial vehicle line with it's European one.

[​IMG]

But is it just me, or does it look like they're trying to be Aston Martins?

[​IMG]

Also, the new "Transit Connect" looks like it might be based on the present European Ford Galaxy, which is only a Mondeo underneath, so presumably not a particularly high-payload vehicle. Of course I could be wrong about that :D

2. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

well the payload might be crap, but if it is a Mondeo underneath it'll prob be pretty fun to drive (for a van) :)

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I've never actually driven a van or any Ford vehicle, but I get the impression that current Transits are actually quite fun to drive in a chuckable kind of way. I guess the Mondeo platform would lend it a more "engaging" feel, though, as well as giving it significantly better stability.

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I'm sure this move is due to the new fuel efficiency standards imposed by the Obama administration. It looks more aerodynamic than the current E-Series line of vans available from Ford currently.

More Google Hits on this

One last thing. That little thing looks like a glorified Smart car. :lol:

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Well if increasing fuel efficiency is as simple as switching over to its European line of products, that's got to be a good sign. I think that legislation might also mean that Europeans start considering cars designed for the American market for the first time.

Regarding the "glorified smartcar", it's an Aston Martin, but actually a rebadged Toyota IQ, so you're not far off.

6. CDsDontBurn

Toyota and Aston Martin are sleeping together?! :eek:

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Aston Martin wanted to reduce the average emissions of their range, so they buy and dress up IQs from Toyota. The idea is that they sell them to people who already have a "real" Aston Martin, as a city car for when they don't want their pride and joy scratched, kerbed or beached in a multi-story car-park.

Toyota and Aston Martin have no relationship beyond this, afaik.

8. CDsDontBurn

This is them "testing the waters" with each other. This is that awkward first date that they have :lol:

9. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I didn't think it's what they (aston martin) wanted though. I thought that it was imposed, because the total range emissions had to come down, and most big brands own the ranges that do small economic cars, but aston martin only made the big ones.. so they had to do something in order to get the average emissions down... result is the above aygo.

CDsDontBurn likes this.
  10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It's not an Aygo, but yeah. Aston Martin only wanted to do it because they needed to do something to meet some legislation or other. Thing is though, even if you count brands like Bentley as being offset by other VW group cars, there are a lot of independent European car manufacturers who are still at similar averages to where Aston Martin would be without this Toyota. For example, Pagani. So I don't think Aston Martin's hand was truly forced.