The AMD folder on the Cdrive

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Mr Cairo, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Ok so when you install the drivers it generally creates a new folder called AMD on the local disk, I just checked and this is 22 GB in size, I always pick a full uninstall and reinstall but there are driver set folders from version 20.5.1, 20.7.1, 20.7.2, 20.8.1, 20.8.2 and so on up until latest version 20.9.2

each of these folders is about a Gig in size

are the older ones safe to delete? why are they not deleted or updated when I do a full factory install ?

At this rate with 1 a month on average I will be past the 25 GIG mark by Christmas

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think that they are all safe to delete, even the current one, although I personally leave that one. They contain the unpacked installer, as far as I know, and that's probably why they are not removed at uninstall - they are not a part of the installation. As to why they are not just temporary and removed immediately after install, I have no idea. In theory it could be handy to have it like that, in case you need to look at something, tweak something or whatever, but those days are mostly gone.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  3. Mr Cairo

I just assumed that on each install the older one would be removed and replaced by the new one, I certainly see no reason to have 14 older driver folders and then the current set

Figure i will remove the 3 oldest and reboot see how it all goes then in a few days do the next lot and so on and probably just keep the last 2 or 3 sets

the other folders in there I will leave

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

they are safe to remove... intel and nvidia create a folder as well... i've had to delete a 50+gb nvidia folder as well.

once the installation is finished, and a restart is performed, the folder can be removed.

IvanV and Mr Cairo like this.
  5. Mr Cairo

Cheers Judas dumped the majority and kept the last 2 sets, there are other folders as well chipset , pci driver, Psp driver , smbs , Promontory GPIO Driver but leaving all them well alone

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

just delete the entire amd folder.. all contents.. there is no sense in keeping them as they are strictly temporary.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  7. Mr Cairo

Ok Will do ... uncharted territory never done this before :)

8. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Yeah, there is always that "maybe it's there for a reason after all" nagging me too. :)

Mr Cairo likes this.
  9. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Every time I do it, I wonder as well... But I have been doing it for years and nothing noticeable has ever happened... Which reminds me, I have not thought about it for some time... Only 1.8GB... bye bye

QB