The AMD Phenom Goes Triple Core! @ Tech ARP

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Vikingod, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

na... i don't think it's nessary... orginally intended that comment as a "simplified/basic" reasoning...

2. mike2h

mike2h New Member

lmao. your call.

3. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy New Member

Should be easy enough to set a flag in the software to record the number of cores in the PC and run the software accordingly.

4. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy New Member

Some will almost certainly be chips where only 3 of the 4 cores measure up; others will only be three core from the start. Remember, wafers are circular. Due to the shape, the edges of the circle will only allow three cores with the fourth being incomplete due to the arc of the wafer's circular edge.

In that respect, it makes good financial sense to me that they're doing three-core chips. Mid-range product that greatly reduces wastage and increases yield per wafer.

5. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

thatm ay be the case, but how often do PC users use only one program? setting windows to use one core, and a dual threaded app to use the other two will greatly improve overall performance imo

6. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

It could be nice for laptops.

7. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Good point, and if a triple core ends up seen as "2 and an overflow", then that will not be good for it's price point.

If quad core yields do not leave a sizable chunk of triples without resorting to disabling perfectly good cores, then I hope AMD would be lokking to reduce quad core prices, rather than take the negative step of artificially turning quads into triples.

A 3 core CPU just seems so incongrous in the naturally binary world of computing, Like having 768MB of RAM instead of a GB, shows you were too mean to get a pair of 512's and used one and a 256.

I rather doubt that the triple will be seen in the retail/component channels, I can see it being purely OEM.

8. Judas

i see no reason why a triple threaded program wouldn't excist or a program wouldn't be able to try and use all 3 cores.

just look at the xbox360, it's a triple core CPU..... it works quite well.

9. mike2h

mike2h New Member

& the xbox is purpose specific.
    triple core is just a way for amd to maximise their wafer profits, there will be no wafers made for triple core use. if amd can make it work- & their marketing is already rolling- then they will make some $$ of what would otherwise be basically waste. not sure how they will make the price point work though.
    i also dont think we will see a lot of these compared to other cores, unless they are having quality issues.

i didnt know windows or apps could be 'set' t ouse one core while other things used other cores...

matth- i agree with you.

10. Judas

Actually in windows, you can set the affinity to specific cpu's.... you can on a quad core, set a process to use 1, 2, 3, or 4 cpu's.... In any combination....

And with vista's much much better memory and cpu managements, i'm fairly CERTAIN that windows vista will quite efficiently balance any combination cores with exacting ease.

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

bottom line is, until we see price point & actuall performance none of us now hoe viable this is. amd has to be very carefull on how thye price it so that they dont screw things up on their mainstream cpus.
    then again with what i think is going t obe limited supply on these, prolly wont make much difference.
    thx for info judas. so you are saying i can set the cpu to one core, an app to another & a game to 2 cores(with quad core)?

12. Judas

yes... the options are supplied right in windows using the task manager...

course some apps (specially ones not designed for dual/multi core) really DON'T like you screwing with the affinity while it's running. So using a method to set it before loading it is the only way....

13. zaim

zaim Well-Known Member

I'd still rather 4 cores over 3.

but if these phenoms prove to be better than intels, i'm gonna stick with my AMD. but if it overclocks for shit, then Intel it is