The Car Issues Continue

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by CDsDontBurn, May 30, 2013.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

This time, it's with my Accord. I just got it back from the shop earlier this week for a helix coil job due to a blown spark plug.

Yesterday, I took it to another shop for charging up the AC due to me having changed out the low pressure shrader valve and compressor late last year. I went to the shop to get this done before summer is in full effect. While getting my car charged up, they said they found an issue with the AC system where it wouldn't hold any of the coolant and didn't know why. They weren't able to really troubleshoot the issue since I took my car in close to their closing time so they'll need more time with it to find out what the issue is.

I also found out that because of my car's negative camber wear, the inside tread is eaten up to the point where the belts are about to start popping out real soon. This means I'll be needing new tires real soon.

Then, there's the suspension that I can start hearing creaking and groaning more and more due to the deterioration of bushings either beginning to fail or already failed.

There's nothing like having a 13yr old car with 240k miles on the clock...

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

AC leaks are fun

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

4. CDsDontBurn

Unfortunately, I can't use one of those home DIY things for my car. I did that to my car before reading up more on my car's AC system. This is how it's properly filled for my car...

5. CDsDontBurn

So a bit of positive news on all this.

I took my Accord in to get diagnosed for the AC problem I was having. It ended being that the condenser was dirty and needed cleaning. They said they were unable to find any leaks with the system and should be good to go. They didn't charge me a diagnostics fee or anything and instead just charged me for the AC service which was only $90. This shop definitely has my business from here on out.

Afterwards, I took my car back to Firestone to see how many miles warranty the tires have left on them, and they told me the tires are 50k mile warranty and were purchased back in 2010 and it had 202k on the clock. This is good news to me because now I know that the tires have lasted me much longer than the Falken Ziex 912s I had on before this set.

The car now has 240k on the clock so they've essentially lasted me 40k miles and will credit me a 10% pro-rated rate for the next set of tires which is basically just saving me tax. Still not a bad deal IMO. Though I think I'm just going to take my car to another shop - a Mexican shop - that will just flip the tires for me anyways for $40. If I leave the tires on as is, I'll for sure eat up the inside tread real quick and will have to buy new tires real soon. If I take it to get flipped, those same tires will certainly last me at least another 10k miles, if not more. By then, the warranty on the tires will have been gone and hopefully by then I'll have enough saved up to get another decent set of tires on my Accord.

6. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

this might seem like a stupid question, but when you have other car issues that are more important, why the hell are you bothering with the AC ?? :confused:

can't you just do without and crack a window ?

7. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I have to ask the same question as Richy.

8. CDsDontBurn

The Accord is our family car, and since this is the case, having AC and keeping our child comfortable while driving is quite important to us which is why I was bothering with the AC.

In the T-Bird (my other current thread), it does not have AC, and getting the AC fixed in that is at the end of the priority list.

9. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

god.. I remember when I was a kid and our car didn't have AC, yup you read that right; no AC... I wasn't bothered, didn't know better and we cracked a window.. or we were just cold (we would wear a jacket) or bloody hot (we would wear a t-shirt and crack a window)

1st world contemporary problems huh...

unless its a baby, but then by clothing it right, it won't be bothered...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  10. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I have AC, i don't let them use it, it affects the mpg :lol:

kid gets told to do ^ what neshi said ;)

11. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

besides.. using AC to keep cool when the weather is hot, isn't good for your system. Everytime you get out of the cool car into hot weather, it gets a hit... it weakens your resistance. better to keep temperate kind of equal.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  12. Calliers

I can't do without AC in the winter. I would just die.

13. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I much prefer to use A/C in my old age.

BUT, I do remember when I was 12 years old and our family moved during the summer from Indiana to Florida. With a route taking us for a stop-over at relatives in W. VA, it took us a full week to make the trip.

My folks owned a 1955 Chevy Bel-Air, 2-door, pulling a trailer and no A/C!

Two adults, 4 of us kids and one Siamese cat. Did I mention, NO A/C!

When we left Indiana on a Monday, it was 49 F. the last Monday of June. One week later, upon arrival in St. Petersburg, FL, it was 94 F. I forgot, did I tell you we had NO A/C?!!

AND, both my brother and I were totally car sick with the whole works. We had to have a pan in the back seat floor board for "emergency upheavals."

So, these days, I'm quite comfortable enough until the temp gets much above 80 F. That's where I put the temp control on my office A/C here at the house. It also helps keep my PC system's temp down where I like to see it stay, too.

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

15. CDsDontBurn

You guys don't know what a Southern California summer is then. Unless you're within 5 miles of the coast, you will BURN :evil:.

You being in the South, your summers are different. Humidly different :lol:.

16. Liqourice

Just curious, what do you need an AC for in the winter? In my car it turns itself off when the outdoor temp falls below 3C to keep the vapor evacuation from freezing.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I've lived in SoCal without AC... Arizona too. Heat is better than cold.

18. CDsDontBurn

WTF? COLD is better than heat! You can do something about the cold to keep warm. In heat, even if you strip naked, you can't do crap to keep you cool other than going swimming or having AC on.

19. Calliers

You can set your ventilation so that there is air from the outside coming in and then put the AC on and turn it up warm so that there is warm air coming from the vents still.

20. Liqourice

And you can't get warm air if you don't have an AC? Sorry, this sounds strange to me. I've had plenty of cars with no AC and they've all been nice and warm in the winter and with the choise of taking in fresh air or circulating the interior air.

True, most cars without AC has no temperature setting, you need to adjust it manually until you get the temp you want. Must be a strange car if you can't get warm air without an AC in it.

Or, I don't understand what you mean. :)