The confusing bits/samplerates/DSP conversion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KX_lover, Dec 17, 2012.

1. KX_lover

KX_lover New Member

On my quest to get the highest audio quality possible out of a PC i used KXdrivers for a while now, but reading on the forum about
    bits/samplerates/DSP conversion etc. etc. i was confused on how things run exactly from source to the output and what happens to
    the signal on his way to the output.

I use an Audigy(1) with three optical transmitters to three (with modified output stage) Behringer src2496 ultramatch as external DAC's
    (the optical connection is to avoid any groundloops between PC and mixing console)
    My source material are WAV files made from my own CD's with EAC to get the highest quality possible.
    For playback i use a popular dj mixing program with Asio (i need the low latency and Asio is more bit accurate then the windows KMmixer)

The confusing part is the signal way from the WAV file to the optical spdif output and samplerate conversion(s) on the way to the output.
    I know that the DSP always resamples to 16bit/48Khz (well almost 16bit) , but i don't use any DSP funtionality (i think) the only thing i have
    in the DSP setup are six lines from FXbus to epilog (3 stereo streams)
    Also i configured the output to 96Khz (the ultramatch has a small bug and switching from 48Khz to 96Khz during the boot sequence 'resets'
    this bug)

Is it correct to think that the samplerate conversions are as follows, 16bit/44.1khz(source) -> 15,5bit/48khz(in DSP) -> 15,5bit/96khz(outside DSP)
    or does the DSP output run on 96khz to? if yes, where is the samplerate conversion done and how bit accurate is this?

Is there any advance (soundwise) in using a samplerate converter (software) between program and soundcard (44.1khz to 48khz) and use FXbusX
    to get more bit accurate spdif streams? (i use version 3550 so b2b is no longer needed)
    And is there advance in upgrading to an Audigy2 even if i will never use 24bit/96khz or the analoge stages from the soundcard.

Many thanks in advance

Grtzz Mark

2. janez

janez Active Member

The creative hardware rateconversion is not exactly the best you can have. So you do get the best results entering the DSP with 48khz.
    I guess its worth trying out and letting your ears decide.

I doubt it! The DSP is exactly the same and I don´t know if the Audigy 2 has better converters, but thats irrellevant in your case. So I don´t see any advantages at all.

3. KX_lover

KX_lover New Member

This is a real shame, the Audigy/Live cards with KX drivers are the ONLY! affordable soundcards with more then one spdif output, AND! Asio support.
    I have searched many times, but the only cards that have more then one spdif (or AES) output are professional and have prices with 4 digits...

Even with the 'not so good' samplerate conversion the whole setup still sounds great, even with a 1:1 compare with the original CD i can't hear a real difference (using the same DAC)
    But i want to try if a realtime conversion to 48Khz really makes a difference, maybe someone knows what piece of software this can do. (Asio supported)

Grtzz Mark

4. janez

janez Active Member

And the 16 bit truncation.. But I agree it still sounds great!

I don´t know if any players can do that, but some Audio Production Software can. Try Magix "Samplitude" for example. There is a free "silver" Version which is limited to 8 Tracks but fully functional. Just start a 48khz Session, import a 44.1 file and play it.
    I can´t tell you what software does the best rateconversion, but I´m sure there is tons of information on the web.
    Please let us know what you find out.

5. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

Îòâåò: The confusing bits/samplerates/DSP conversion

a few related threads (just to not qoute myself exposing common myths yet again):
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/effects-dsp/207881-what-bitdepht-dsp.html
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/gener...d-setting-up-multiple-actually-2-cards-2.html

But i want to try if a realtime conversion to 48Khz really makes a difference, maybe someone knows what piece of software this can do. (Asio supported)

Most of modern media players do (for example m. uses Foobar2k + SSRC)