The debate religion thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Vikingod, Jan 30, 2008.

1. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Because we have to discuss ervything that affects us,docvino, especially if they seem mundane. Its cos of religion why people are dying in the middle east.

Its relevant dude.

2. adit2789

adit2789 New Member

Religion is a matter of opinion or rather interpretation. Most religions teach basically the same thing. Be a good person, live a good life and you will be rewarded. It is because of the several interpretations of what the good life is that all these different religions got created so therefore it is not the religion itself that is wrong but rather the human being that is. Interpretation and opinion i believe are the shackles of the human race, in that as long as we have those two things the religions of the world will never coexist peacefully

3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

One thing most religions have in common is obedience. If you are obedient and follow all the tenants of a religion you will be rewarded in the afterlife, being good is irrelevant, since the only thing that can be good is being devout. Humans created religion and like many things we've created it is a rubbish idea.

4. adit2789

adit2789 New Member

I guess in the end society's hate for non-conformity should be blamed

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I don't think that's it at all. When it comes specifically to the case of religion I would blame man's lust for power and domination over others, our willingness to be deceived for comfort, and the need to believe in something bigger than ourselves. That, and some people are just fuckin' crazy.

6. Kazeko

Kazeko Active Member

Couple things...

First off, (and I admit, I didn't read the whole thread) the problem I have with the idea of human desire for power over others, is it presumes that your neighbor would just as soon enslave you or shoot you in the face than live with you in peace. For most people, this isn't the case. Most people would rather not kill you or enslave you, because, on a fundamental level, most people understand that your mind, the human mind, is sovereign... and most respect this. If they didn't Jeffrey Domer would be a free man right now.

Second off, No one can hold any power over you except physical power, and even then, only if you consent by valuing your life over the alternative. The only power anyone has over you, is imposed by physical force imposed on you by those who would enslave, or destroy you. Your mind, your "soul" if you will, cannot be enslaved by anyone, by it's very nature. It is, fundamentally impossible.

Third...

Our "willingness to be deceived by comfort" isn't a willingness. It's psychological. Freud called it the "Deprivation theory" stating that where a humans mind could not find a provable answer, they substituted religion to provide stability and security to their lack of knowledge. For example, people followed a religious doctrine to show them that the world was flat, heaven was up, hell was down, and earth was in between. Galileo gave an alternate answer, and was persecuted for it.

So.. with that... religion substitutes fear. Where we don't know, we are afraid, and as such, fill in religion because we don't know.

I believe in God, because I don't know what will happen in the afterlife, and two... because this world and it's fundamental basis, makes WAAAY too much sense, to not have a significant subtext.

Do I know what religion is right or wrong? No. And the question is superfluous.

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Those are good points though for the power over others I was thinking more about the religious leaders who control their subjects.

8. adit2789

adit2789 New Member

I guess that could be said, but i am not sure how much comfort is coming out of extremist islam

9. dawgXdenta

THUMBS UP

to me it doesnt matter what someone believes its what they do that counts,
    All hunkey dorey if you believe god is a pink dinosaur that flies circles above your head, but if you actually help people progress and develop thats far more useful than what they believe

10. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I don't think OmegaRED is so much pointing his finger in that direction, but points it to religion in it's whole. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism etc.

Marx said it in his time, and it is still very much the case.
    "Religion is the opium for the people", and what I think he meant by that is as long as you keep feeding people crap about god, heaven and hell.. live a good (obedient) life and you will be rewarded..
    The people will accept that they are being screwed, because they'll have the church to cry and pray for better times. They won't revolt because the spiritual leaders tell them that is wrong and they must accept their place in life and society.. Religion is just a way to keep the people content.

I agree.. but I find it funny when for example I say I am a devout follower of the ancient egyptian gods, and my main god is Seth, people look at me funny and tell me they don't exist and I'm crazy..
    But believing in 1 god that created everything, and still is reaching out his hands to influence peoples lives (hello, free will?!?!) is the way to go?
    I wonder how long it will take for Christianity to disappear and a new religion take it's place..or the Islam or whatever other religion for that matter..

11. dawgXdenta

thats the question I always ask myself

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Quite a number of people... nearly everyone, force run their lives in either strick service of god for the sake of it, or due to fear of him.

This is baffling.... beyond all reason.... It's just far to conflicting. How can you serve something, that according to the bibles... can't make up it's own mind on anything, or to allow for something so confusing and so utterly misinterpreted.

Some people get it in a good way and some in a bad. Obviously there are some that simply don't beleive and feel they've got complete and utter control over their own lives and then for whatever reason, purposely take the hard road.

99% of it all due where/when/how/what/why/who @ birth.

What is considered tradition, Cultureal, taken for granted, as well as the accepted norms, is actually more counter productive and the cause, then it could ever been a solution.

13. dawgXdenta

Judas sometimes you make absolute good sense sometimes you are just stabbing in the dark "chuckle chuckle", but i agree with you on this one

14. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I'd like to see more people have the courage to believe in a God but rejecting all present and/or known Gods exactly for the reasons you mentioned.

This just doesn't happen that often...teenagers spend more time in a week writing an paper or an adult working extra hours on the weekends than they do thinking about something infinitely more meaningful: the basis of their faith. The majority of "believers" invest themselves in the first faith they are introduced to and pretend all the inconsistencies don't matter. Whenever I've pushed this time of person on the subject they give me the typical "I just believe" response...painfully unaware how stupid that makes them sound.

I bet most people would be more upset over the fine print in a cell phone contract than some of the absurdities in the Bible. :rolleyes:

15. Judas

personally i would be much happier if their responce wasn't "I beleive" to "I hope".... it wouldn't be as rediculious

16. dawgXdenta

all must choose their gods whether science self or whatever, time shall reveal truth, undoubtedly

17. Judas

for some.... truth doesn't reveal themselves...... they unfortunately slip away...

And i can make a choice not to choose any gods....

18. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

I've seen to many things that are "religion" based screw more things up then not so I tend to stay away from it. Case in point, the Irish Church link I posted. Religion makes people turn a blind eye to things that don't work and gives them a reason to not take responsibility for them selves by thinking that going to church once a week on Sunday will clear everything up.

I live by a few simple rules, common sense, respect and responsibility. It's not all that hard, and I'm not worrying about the fact that if I mess up along the way, I may end up in "hell" because of it. You treat everyone else like you want to be treated and it goes along with way.

And that's my short answer. :p

19. dawgXdenta

haha!! we think of gods too literally in the post Christain world(i wonder why that is) i think anything can be a god, wife, kids, church, faith,Allah, God ,Jehova, money, its just another way of saying "My lifes phylosophy "

So yes Juda's methinks you have a God at that centre or temple is YOURSELF MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

20. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

I have always believed in God. If I ever turned I always found my way back. That was how I was am and probably will be. I have made a deal with my Father that when I die he can make my passing easier because I have suffered like an animal my whole life even though I have sinned somewhat also like an animal at times. thanks Father I am looking forward to it. Can you make me rich as an oil billionaire?:cool: