The debate religion thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Vikingod, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Odinarius

Odinarius New Member

Pheeew, religion has been my subject of choice for many years now and there is so much to say... But I would have to read the thread first.

I`ll just say that I`m an agnostic, former catholic.

Despite not being able to believe in any theistic teachings, I recognize the value of religion, even though I don`t approve with all of it or it`s methods.

Believing in something gives you hope, and that`s immensely important in life. Suicide rates are highest with atheists.

Did you know that every religion out there has a confession? It`s therefore the universal value, being able to tell everything that troubles you, and every religion cares to that.

It goes on and on... I`d like to finish with a quote from Discworld:

"No man should become a god, because then he would have no one to pray to."

2. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

That is incorrect, the suicide rate is high in countries which don't promote religious freedom (such as China) but all it takes is a look at the country itself to see why the suicide rate is so high. Among North Americans I doubt the suicide rate of atheists is higher than the rest of the population (although divorce and prison populations are lower for atheists so who knows).

I honestly don't see what people need "hope" for. Hope for what? Everlasting life beyond death? Meaning of existence? Why is this important? People should just try and make the best out of life and not hope for all this magic stuff to happen when they die; if there's no God and no afterlife you won't be bothered one bit. If there is...He has some explaining to do.

Personally, as an Agnostic Atheist, I'd never consider suicide as an option because I believe we only get one chance at life and you'd best not waste it. Once, you're dead you're gone forever. Blackness. No more existence. I like to think this is sort of what most atheists believe.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  3. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

but if this chance at life didn't work out, suicide might be an option. As there is no afterlife, there is no 'Hell' to be scared of or anything :)

Not that I promote suicide, I too try to make the best of this life as I think there are no do-overs, or an afterlife were you can gloat over the perfect life you've led...
    But there were times in my life that I thought, if I'd get hit by a truck right now, I wouldn't care.

4. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

I have seen into this blackness that you talk about. It certainly is not a place I would like to adventure to any time soon. As for Afterlife? I think when we die that we become like ghosts and leave behind our old form in search of a new one to inhabit.

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I've seen it too! Then I open my eyes and the blackness is gone. :uhoh:

6. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

You look outside to the sun shining down on the newly trimmed lawn and the plants glissen with a morning dew. Your mom passes by your room to tail off to work while leaving a faithful old and sick put by your side to watch as you rise to a new and better day full of life and surprises that you couldn't imagine would have even existed before you went to sleep the night before and dreamt about it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010