The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion (TIPS and HELP and HARDWARE Thread)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by ViRuS2k, Mar 23, 2006.

1. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

I have dedicated this thread to the following:

Help - Tips and Possible solutions to hardware problems for people :

--------------------

i will start with a help request :

I think i just made the biggest messup in the history of oblivion :p
    can someone help me im stuck
    if i cant figure this out its goodnight for me and i will have to start the game from scratch lol

on my way to some place i seen a guard, very tasty armor lol
    well i managed to mow him down in good styleeee :p

problem is now im in a wanted state lol and on my route to where i have to go there are guards and i cant take them all on lol
    they run up to me and say, something about breaking the law your under a rest lol and i have no cash so they say i will have to go to jail......

problem is how the hell do i kill the wanted state so they leave me alone lol ?????
    do i have to wait ??? for a number of hours ??????? or days ????? or what lol

2. topbob

topbob New Member

the only way to get rid of it that ive seen so far is you serve your time in jail, takes a couple sec, but they take all stolen goods, and you lose a couple points in a few skills, or join the theives guild and tell them to get rid of your wanted status.

3. ViP3RH3LL

ViP3RH3LL New Member

Wow!! My system sucks, the game is running is lowest setting mode, even at that mode in battles with the blood spray, it is really really laggy the fps drops from say: 20 to 0. Is there a way to turn the blood off? But everything else is barely playable but its a really nice looking game. Mostly I think it's a videocard problem, since they say to run on the latest card and I have a 9600XT. But high-end cards are just to enpensive these day $500+. I could get a ATi X850XT for 300, but PCI cards if I did build a new system is even more expensive, so it's a no-win situation.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

to ViRuS2K:

If you don't want to start over from either a previous saved game (pre-stolen guard armor) or from scratch (if you have no such saved game) then you do need to go to jail and serve your time. If your sneak and thief skills are good enough you can retrieve your stolen goods from a chest somewhere near the jail cell.

OR, if you have a saved game just prior to being approached by the guard who wants to arrest you, go to your Inventory and DROP everything you have. Then go serve your time in jail and return to pick up the things you dropped. :)

To ViP3RH3LL: What is the rest of your system specs? How much system RAM? Make absolutely sure you have AA completely turned off. If you're using Omega's drivers with ATT, make sure AA is turned off there, as well.
    An X850XT or a X800XL (like mine) would give you a very significant boost. I went from 9600 Pro to the X800XL and was like, WOW!! what a boost!!

NOW, I have a little request: :)

I have been infected with Vampirism. This could be both good and bad, but, if it's anything like in Morrowind, it will be more bad than good this early in the game.

So, my question: Has anyone found a cure for Vampirism yet?

5. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I found Ivory Armor, the only problem is the person wearing it is a demi god. Its in a temple right around the city.

Virus, join the thieves guild (the guy is located at the waterfront where the houses are). You have to pursuade him to talk to you about it. Then you have to steal a book. After u steal the book before the other people trying to get it. Then talk to him to get your bounty off your head. If he can't do it go to Bruma where your first fence is located. I think the only person who can take that bounty off ur head is the guy in the waterfront though.

Dyre, there is a cure disease potion I picked up somewhere and I ended up using it. I was wandering around that lake that surrounds the city coin into pretty much every cave and such so you could start there. I know I killed a lot of Vampires in one cave or temple.

Well I'm goin to see if I can kill the guy with Irovy Armor, I'm sure after 150 arrows he should go down. Either that or he'll look like a pin cushion.

6. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Serves you right murderer! :D In Morrowind you couldn't wear guard armour around guards without getting attacked. I think, I never wanted their stuff.

7. Dyre Straits

Oh, you know, you're right! If it's anything like the Ordinators in MW. Man, I HATED those guys! LOL!

GDF: Thanks for the tip. I think I took off away from the main city too soon. (Very eager to get that amulet to the guy up in the W/NW. :) )

8. Dyre Straits

Inventory Menu Help

Like several others, the Inventory Menu takes some getting used to. But, once one understands the concept, it's actually not very difficult to master.

Here are some screenshots to get you started:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the selection has been made in the lower row, click on the specific icons in the row above to isolate certain inventory items that you're looking for.

For example: If you have the Weapons icon selected in the lower row, the first "BAG" icon will show EVERYTHING you have in your possession. Selecting other icons from the upper row will restrict what you see to that particular type of item.

9. ViP3RH3LL

ViP3RH3LL New Member

Re-did Siggy, That's what I have, and I'm using the latest Xtreme-G WarCat ATi Drivers 6.3
    32 bit.

What is the best videocard to get for AGP for the price? Nvidia or ATi? I'm not really a fan of either, as long as the price is good and the card kicks ass.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  10. Dyre Straits

What is a 'good price' for you?

11. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Also the F1, F2, F3, F4 are for ur inventory is no one has stated that. Press "T" to wait (like resting outdoors in morrowind). And press Z to move around items and such.

12. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

Ok i have an annoying problem,

everytime i enter a city or town ect a message pops up on my screen saying my horse has been stabbed lol
    problem is i cant find my horse :/

and when i do find it lol if i can find it how do you heal it ?
    does your horse show up on your map ?
    becuse i cant locate my horse :/

13. Dyre Straits

You mean you can't remember where you stabled your horse? ;)

Well, it has happened to me a couple of times.

First of all, is this a horse you own or is it a stolen horse?

If it's been stolen, it will return to its own stable after you dismount.

If this is your horse, it should be where you left it. However, I guess -- from what I've read elsewhere -- it's possible for your horse to be stolen, too.

To be sure, use the map and speed travel to the stables near the city you're in. OR, be sure to exit the gate where you entered the city. That's what I've had to do a couple of times early on.

14. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Rather than repost my other postings:

Clearing the Xbox 360 Hard Drive Cache file

Crash and Stutter bug hack and fixes thread. This one has fixes and what not for audio pausing/crashing, to desktop crashes.

Both of those are on Bethesdas forum.

For almost a day I had serious audio pauses whenever music was being played, changing, or looping. I fixed it by removing the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, and reinstalling the official Audigy drivers. Runs as smooth as silk now.

15. Tipstaff

BTW, don't know if you guys have found it yet, but if you want to do your own screenshots just like our man Dyre, this is what you'll need to do:

Open the oblivion.ini in the My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\ folder. Inside there change:

bAllowScreenShot=0

to:

bAllowScreenShot=1

As well, you will need to edit the next 2 accordingly:

iScreenShotIndex=0 (normally this is set to zero by default, but if this is somehow set to 1, change it back to zero)
    SScreenShotBaseName=name
    (replace "name" with whatever you want to call the base name of your screenshots)

After you're done all you need to do is press the PRTSCN button ingame, and Oblivion will dump a BMP file into the game folder.

16. Flexkill

Flexkill New Member

Or just use ATT:)

17. Dyre Straits

There you go! ;)

18. Tipstaff

True. 'Course, if you don't have ATT installed.. then this would do the job too. Either way, you get screenies. :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  19. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

For nvidia users...

Install Coolbits: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815

Once installed, open up Nvidia driver panel and under Performance and Quality Settings, click Additional Direct3d Settings.

Set Max Render Ahead to 0 (default: 3).

i did this and it gave me MUCH more stable frame rates, especially in the forests. I guess it also fixes some stuttering issues as well.

20. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

The same apparently applies for ATI users too, but you have to do it in ATI Tray Tools under additional Direct3D settings: set Flip Queue Size to 0 (default is undefined).

regards, Partizan