The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion (TIPS and HELP and HARDWARE Thread)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by ViRuS2k, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Yeah, they do improve the game alot. Finally got mine to work.. I had the 24 "borders" one.. once I re-downloaded the basic version with only 12 it worked for me. I also read the new Oblivion tweak guide at www.TweakGuides.com and found a few more tweaks that REALLY smoothed out the hitches outside. Its on page 9 in advanced tweaks. The memory, loading and multithreaded variables: http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_9.html

2. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Sorry if this has been asked guys but...
    how the hell do you cure vampirism? I can't find the quest that gets the cure. Where do I go and whom do I speak with. Thanks.

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Visit the mage guilds and someone should refer you towards the steward of the count of Skingrad. Not sure if you could speak with the steward right away, but maybe. You will eventually need a number of grand soulgems so if you see any on the way, grab them. It's not a quick task.

4. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

going from memory, you need...

5 empty grand soul gems - boughten from mages guild at 350 gold a piece
    5 nightshades
    6 garlics
    the blood of an argonian (the lizard guys)
    the ashes of a powerful vampire.

the hardest part for me was finding the damn garlic. i swear, almost no one sold that stuff.

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Some people, including Zardon, found that going through the entire quest to cure Vampire had a bug and, even after gathering everything, the person who was supposed to make the potion couldn't finish it.

So, there's a mod out that, if you install it, allows you to simply buy a cure vampire potion from select stores. Z posted the link to it sometime ago.

6. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Locking the FOV fix

Here's a new tip everyone. Props to Scanti over at the Elder Scrolls forum.

While in game, pull the console down " ~ " and type in with quotes:

SetINI "fDefaultFOV : Display" 90.00

Any amount can be used, not just 90. NO space after the : !! Once you do that .. it stays locked at that fov even after talking with NPC's and whatnot. There is only one catch with this method. If you quit out of the game, it stays at 90 or whatever, and next time you startup, the menus will be all whacked. Soooo .. Just make sure before you exit the game, you go back to console and then hit the UP arrow .. backspacex4 and type back in the default 75.00.

Bonus tip: Then QQQ to exit to desktop direct. :)

Ahhhh.. much better.

:p

[​IMG]

7. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Nightshade was the hardest for me, almost everybody at the mages guild had garlic and lots of little alcemy stores. As with night shade, did you know Oblivion has 12 different types of blue flowers.... not only that some of the same plant are different colors, and I think nightshade only grows at night...

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Dyre, I was going to mention this as a possible solution to your game exiting crash, but I also have another possible solution.

When you exit the game, and that debug/crash error occurs, did you save just before you exited the game? From what I've been reading a lot of people that get that error/crash usually save the game just before they exit. One person mentioned that the only way for him to fix this problem was that after he saved the game he went back into the game, then brought up the menu, and quit (or brought up the console, and typed qqq as Pluvious mentioned). A number of people have tried this too, and it seems to work for them as well.

9. Dark Lord

nightshade was real easy to find for me. if you look back at the arcane university, they have a whole garden of stuff they grow there. about 6 plants of night shade grow right there too.

found an interesting glitch this evening that can make some very hard fights over in a matter of moments.

i havnt done much testing, but this is what worked for me.

lure the guy you want killed towards a door that loads when you walk through it. before you go through it, summon a dramorian caitiff and then walk through that door. once your in the new section walk forward a couple of steps, turn around and go back through the door.

if done correctly, the guy you were fighting will no longer be standing there. continue walking on and youll find his dead corpse sitting at his spawn location. i did this to 3 clannfears, and 1 storm atronach and it worked every time.

i should try this on umbra...

10. Dyre Straits

Interesting. Yes, I certainly do save just before exiting the game. Makes perfect sense to me. :)

11. Dark Lord

well, i just tried that glitch on umbra. yes indeed, it did work.

kinda nice haveing a 1 handed sword that does 29dmg.

12. Dyre Straits

That is cool. But, I think my way was more fun. :)

13. Dark Lord

you know, i sat on the busted piller in umbras chamber for 45 mins today and kept shooting her with arrows and summoning caitiffs and she WOULDNT DIE! her health regen was much much much faster then i could do damage to her. after 200+ arrows,s he still had over 3/4s of her health left. i let it sit for less then 10 seconds, and she had full health again.

14. Dyre Straits

Haha.....OK, here's how I did it at Level 10. (Remember, I'm Dark Elf/BattleMage)

I jumped over onto the small ledge to the left of the broken railing.

From there, I kept casting my Summon Scamp and Summon Zombie. Since my Majicka regenerates fast, I was able to cast them as fast as Umbra could kill them. :)

Well, after about 45 minutes or so, she BROKE Umbra Blade and the Ebony Shield! At that point, she started using her FISTS to fight off my summons. :)

I knew then, it was my chance and I used my DEBASER blade to finish her off. :)

15. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

45 minutes!?? Are you kidding me?.. Man my character is godly then.. everything I attack goes down in a few whacks. Well.. maybe 10 or 12 .. but now I'm starting to think I don't want to restart with a magic user or bowman.. sounds like the fights are 200% harder. I kill those giant spider women in like 3 swings.. hehe.

16. Dyre Straits

Remember: I was only at Level 10 when I did this. ;)

17. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

as a character using a bow primarily I can take down most animals with ease. People are a lot easier than creatures, since I am a master marksman my sneak shots ignore armor and knock them to the floor. I then must run up to them and shoot them once more in the face.

18. djulius

djulius New Member

Graphical error in game

Hi all.
    I've been browsing the forums and couldn't find anything regarding my problem, sorry if this has been covered in an earlier post :uhoh:

My prob is that after 10-15 mins of play, the textures start to float together in strange colors. It even applies this fancy color mish-mash to my map.
    Weird thing is, that is doesn't affect the entire screen, only a persons hair, the outlining of a table etc..map is totally screwed most of the time, though.
    I have been playing for 4 days without probs and now suddenly this thing..strange indeed.
    Any clues leading me closer to a solution is much appreciated, thanks.

19. Dyre Straits

Are you doing any overclocking? If so, revert to default settings and see if the problem goes away.

If not overclocking, you need to monitor the temperatures being created as you play. It does sound like maybe some heat issues at play.

20. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Master Sneak ignores armor, Master Marksmen causes paralyses on their enemy.