The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion (TIPS and HELP and HARDWARE Thread)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by ViRuS2k, Mar 23, 2006.

1. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

any x800 users tryin to run AA and getting mad slow downs when the refraction shader is in use, like around any oblivion gate, or when an assasin is killed, that fancy transparent effect when they morph back to humans, it also locks the menu as soon as i equip the ring of shawdows,

read many forum posts about either havin to use no AA or turn the refraction shader to 0 in the .ini, sux for me as i found a great balence in 1024*768 with 2aa 4af, 1024*768 w/only 4af yeilds many jaggies, and 1280*960 w\only 4 af seems noticably slower than 1024*768 2aa4af, the only trouble is when the refraction shader comes into play WITH AA on,with it off it aint a thing,

weird as the shader doesnt have to be seen on the screen to cause the slow down, at the bottom of Kvatch before i climbed the hill, just to look toward the top of the hill(not even seeing the gate)took me to a crawl?

wander if the chuck patch drivers would help this, didnt ATI say the chuck fix wouldnt make it into the 6.4 release? as this is what i have, x64 at that?

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The Chuck drivers are only for X1000 series cards (unfortunately), as well as those in a Crossfire setup. Specifically:

1. Permit High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDR) concurrently with Anti-Aliasing (AA) on RADEON X1000 series graphic boards

2. AFR mode for CrossFire (2 GPU’s)

As for it getting into the 6.4 drivers.. nope. This will probably make it into the 6.5 or 6.6 due to testing, and what not. They are usually 1-2 months behind between testing a set of beta drivers, and having a "gold" driver that is considered final.

3. tEckniks

tEckniks New Member

i got a problem. i cant fast travel or wait because it always says "cannot XXXX because enemies are nearby" even in the cities!!

theres no way im going to buy a horse and ride back n forth to city to city. is there a fix for this? i need my fast travel!!

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm a little perplexed that you're getting this message in the cities, too. Usually, though, if I get that message I can just move a little distance away and then I can fast travel and/or rest, or whatever.

That you're getting this in the cities gives me a hunch that you've ticked off a bunch of people.....OR....maybe you're a vampire.

5. tEckniks

tEckniks New Member

my infamy lvl is 0 .. my bounty is 0 .. i have no idea what happened. I was on the mission to get the Great stone from the ruined tombs... left my horse outside fighting goblins... went in, did my thing. got the stone, came out the horse was dead and i couldnt wait or fast travel.

sigh .. my last save game is 3hrs behind in gameplay :dead:

6. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Go to the Arena and kill some time or try an Inn.

7. Dyre Straits

I'm at a loss to explain this, too. But, even when I'm outside or down in a cave, if I move around and away from detected enemies, I can always find a place to rest and/or fast travel.

What overall Level are you?

I know how you feel about having a save game so far from your current progress. :( I learned to save VERY often and not rely on just the Autosaves.

8. tEckniks

tEckniks New Member

well .. never figured out what was causing the problem.. so i just reloaded a saved game 3hrs behind :annoyed:

it works now.. and i just beat the main quest. now im kinda bored, is there any cool destruction spells that make ppl go flying when they die? i need to entertain myself. lol

9. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

There's this mod that contains berserk spells. like turning people into grey fox, or forcing someone to follow u, sleep, fight.; dropping sheeps on ur head lol
    I forgot the name of it, but im sure it's not hard to find it at tessource or the oblivion forums (through 1000s of posts hehe)

10. Dyre Straits

I'm kind of stuck with a fairly simple quest for a nice innkeeper lady. She's wanting 6 bottles of Shadowbanish Wine. I've found 4 so far and can't seem to locate another 2 bottles.

The ones I've found have been located at Ft. Magia and Ft. Carmala. Anyone remember where another 2 are located?

EDIT: Mission Accomplished!!! Anyone else need some guidance? Check out Ft. Grief. But, you'll need some nice acrobatics skill. :)

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  11. BattleAxe

BattleAxe New Member

I got someting that might be a start of a quest. I beat up an Ogre and it had these "giant-jumbo-potatoes". I had a message pop up after taking these, that "i have found jumbo-potatoes on an Ogre, I should keep them and try to figure out what use they are" - or something similar.

I sort of forgot about this until i re-checked my available quests and i wonder who should I see to get an idea what these things for. :confused:

12. Dyre Straits

Oh, yes, these are part of a quest. The party needing them is not far away.

13. AnneXu

AnneXu New Member

Does anyone know if this game runs on a MAC or is there some sort of emulator that will make it work on MACs?

14. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

what mac? If it is an intel based one, you could always install windows. otherwise your only option is VirtualPC which is going to run slow-ass.

15. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

wow this is one of the biggest viewed threads i have ever done hehe :)
    i congratulate myself :D

ok now back on topic hehe..

does anyone know if oblivion can be tweaked to use the full framebuffer of the 8800GTX cards...

768meg onboard is a lot to waste. :)

16. Tipstaff

From what I've read there are a bunch of little things:

- grab the larger
    4096X4096 replacement textures

- run with 16x AA/AF (although, whether or not it would be playable at that is the real question)

- run with everything set to max ingame

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

17. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

16AF makes about the same performance difference of 0AF.

18. kelticknight

kelticknight DriverHeaven Knight

might get this game over xmass
    good few friends still going on about it

19. neokenzo

neokenzo New Member

I used to have an ATI X850XT PE and tried playing the game and was getting 4-8 fps. I've recently upgraded to 7900 GT and I am still getting 4-8 fps on the game :(

20. Tipstaff

Dont' forget to reset the graphics by running the Oblivion Launcher, going into "Options", and hitting the "Reset to Default" button. This will force Oblivion to re-detect your system, and adjust the games graphics settings to match. First time you run the game do not run with Anti-Aliasing on (leave it set to None), and don't run with HDR just yet either. Run the game, and tweak the in game settings until you get it to run smooth (er). After that you should give TweakGuides Oblvibion article a read as it has a plethora of info on getting the best performance out it.

*Be aware that if you have gone through this article previously, or have gone through tweaks like it before, it is a good idea to delete the oblivion.ini file, and start fresh, especially if you've gone from an ATI card to an nVidia card. Reason being is that while a tweak that gave you gains in performance on one card may be a hinderance to the new one.*

Also, be sure that you don't override any settings such as Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering from within the nVidia control panel. Leave those things on off, or application controlled.