The GeForce FX: It's Deja Vu All Over Again

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Feb 2, 2003.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Article over at NVnews

The initial reviews of the GeForce FX are out and the general consensus among our visitors is that it's not what they expected. Generally speaking, we had been hoping for a 30% performance increase over ATI's Radeon 9700 Pro across the board and less of an impact on performance when both antialiasing and balanced anisotropic texture filtering are enabled at the same time.

Has a six-month product cycle somehow made us forget the issues that befall NVx0 chipsets at launch? Well, it's happened before, and we should expect the same from the NV30. The drivers will improve, and performance will increase across the board as a result. The NV30 can be thought of as a concept card. It contains new features just as the GeForce 256 and the GeForce 3 did. However, NVIDIA's rollout plan is to expose new features and ensure stability and then concentrate on increasing performance.

2. Asuka

Asuka BANNED

Geforce FX sucks donkey balls

That's utter nonsense you're telling there. The Geforce FX stinks like a three months dead fish, even if some nVidiots refuse to see it with their blind fanatism.
    Currently, the very most the Geforce FX could do was a pitiful 10% lead, and that only in few tests. In others, it was only around 5% ahead, equal up with the Radeon 9700 Pro or even behind it! As an average, it has perhaps a tiny 5% overall lead, hardly even noteable - and the Radeon 9700 Pro still has the clearly better image quality. Not to forget about the vacuum cleaner fan they put on it which will make you at least near-deaf pretty soon (I hope you've listened to the deafening noise it makes - several sites have mp3s of it). Finally, it's still much more expensive than a Radeon 9700 Pro! Ok, there may be new drivers soon, and they may refresh they old shameless "25%-performance-increase"-lie, but it certainly won't give you anything more than 5%, at the most. If the card sucks, there's not much you can do about it with drivers. Let's face it - nVidia messed up this time, big time :dead:

3. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

I hate to say this but its very clear how nvidia will make sales on Geforce FX:

(1). 3dmark 2003 - who wants to bet against it not favouring NVIDIA Hardware (again?)

(2). Brand new drivers (5x.xx?) claiming 50% or whatever performance increase for all Geforce FX cards (Detonator FX?) introduced just as the card is available everywhere on the market or when ATi launches R350.

(3). More NVIDIA + Geforce FX Hype because of rumours on number (2)

(4). I bet all nVidia engineers that were involved in NV30 cooling solution right now are working 24-7 to reduce its noise and heat (if that's possible)

(5). ...

If YOU want to continue this list - go ahead...but you see my point I hope...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2003
  4. HsuGotaQ

HsuGotaQ Hydrogenated Dumbass

The funny thing about any company saying there new drivers are X % faster has always puzzled me. Generally by looking at real world situation vs approximations by companies, I'd say that :

??? % based on vendors quote = ??? / (10 or 7) % in actual performance increase

Yes there will be 50% increase eventually, but that will only happen after 2 years. I must admit however that the general public will believe every word of what Nvidia will say based on past reputation. I truly believe that this product is still too young and is probably in a mid-beta stage of it's life. My bet goes that Nvidia had no choice, but to dish out a new generation gpu and that they are scared of the new ATI onslaught.

5. weeble

weeble New Member

absolutely...I've used nvidia cards since the tnt....my next card will most certainly be an ati