The New 2014 Corvette Stingray

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by Calliers, Jan 14, 2013.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

The boot of what exactly? The Lupo or the Corvette?

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

either, but the Lupo could fit two or three bags of food safely.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I've had (including myself) three people and their tubas in my Seat Arosa (Lupo) :)

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I drove from Suffolk (Isleham) to Manchester with two and it was a lively ride. I noticed with two people aboard it still drove like a gerbil with a bottle rocket up its butt. Thank God there were very few real hills or I would have worn out my clutch.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I carted around 5 people (including myself) in mine during holidays in both Devon and Cornwall. There were hill starts aplenty, but it stood up well!

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

The one thing I found distressing, even though the mechanic reassured me it was okay, was the obvious oil foam that was created by the engines activity in the air cleaner. Near as I can tell, the tiny engine worked very hard and oil foam was inevitable, but it really bothered me. Other than that, it ran like a scalded cat. I think it was a marvelous car, but you wont see it on Top Gear eh?
    [​IMG]

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

No, although Top Gear magazine was rather fond of them.

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I fancy a small car just like that now, so I got the budget equivalent, the Ford Focus, and its marvelous.

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Ford Focus is considered several sizes up over here - the Lupo was a rival to the Ford KA. Above that is the Ford Fiesta, and above that the Ford Focus. The Focus is considered a rival to the Volkswagen Golf, though actually the Focus is bigger than a Golf.

10. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

You have taste fella. Nice car which I had the pleasure of being up front with a mate. It was the hot version like a GTI. Not sure on the type though!

11. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

I'm an ex biker. My knowledge on cars is pretty much confined to the 70's that I could answer. That though is a Lotus front end imho.

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Yes, I am familiar with the obvious differences in size, but having driven a Ford Focus as a substitute when my mini cooper engine was binned, I prefer the Ford to the VW on any level. The Lupo was and is a good car, but problematic and bloody expensive to fix, where as the Ford Mondeo, Focus and Fusion have given me nothing to worry about. I find used VW's typically have the crap run out of them by some chave that used daddy's allowance to tune out what little performance that could be legally extracted from the powerplant and run into the ground.
    And the stupid "fartcan" exhaust installed on supposed "tuners" defeats the computer controls to manage or maintain optimal performance. I had to pay someone to remove the tuner crap from my Lupo to get it to run right.
    You see the same thing in America with "wannabe" tuners buying kits from a performance shop and then mangling an installation just to make more noise or a few more horsepower while they mentally masturbate in traffic waiting to race another car just like theirs to the next red light.
    I am pretty much a purest and prefer stock to get my kicks, but that is dictated by my income and common sense.
    The last real performance cars that went in a straight line and had the horsepower stock to back it up are long gone.
    I miss the 70s.

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I'd love to retro fit a classic car with the tankish appearance (big and loud) with modern tech.....

a 1970's chevelle using modern alloys and materials, pumping a 454/455 or even a 5xx big block (7.3-9L v8). Twin turbo.

instantly well over 800hp without even pushing the psi and extremely fuel efficient not to mention light.

actually probably would require counterweights.. but i'm sure a real steel frame would still be required to keep the entire car from twisting itself over.

I still fancy this as one of the best looking and performing cars... pricetag however is a bit much imo.. Just dump the idiotic low profile tires.... totally useless

[​IMG]

14. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Anyone touching that Merc would not be a shadetree mechanic for sure.

15. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

:rofl:

Well, any car that's been through that kind of treatment is going to come out in ill health. My car's needed nothing but a set of new tyres in some 4 years and 20k miles, though. And it's now 15 years old.

That said I'm not surprised you prefer the Focus for other reasons besides reliability - it's a much more expensive car. As for reliability, Ford certainly have come on a long way in recent years.

My mum ran a Mk4 Golf TDI for a while, and that thing was an absolute tank. It got no end of abuse, had well over 200K miles on the clock and just kept on chugging. The only thing that ever needed fixing was the underbody protection one time - and that should tell you everything you need to know about the treatment we gave that poor car. Even the cabin materials were indestructible.

16. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

The VW is more expensive than the Ford in U.S. dollars. But I suppose the primative Ford and VW and pretty robust.

17. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

You pay more for a Lupo than a Focus? Ouch. Or is it just that Focuses are really cheap there?

18. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

No, I bought a Skoda Octavia, and it was not cheap by any means, and perhaps not in the same cat as a Ford Focus, but with the entire cost of maintenance, license and taxes the Skoda was more expensive than the Ford by a long shot. The Skoda, is a VW by any other name, and served me well, but its just so much cheaper overseas. The Ford gave me much better mileage too.
    It might seem like Apples and Oranges, but I bought both for the same purpose and found the Ford much cheaper to operate and maintain.

19. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

funny thing Jeff, when we went test driving last year I thought it was a waste of time, because I just assumed I'd want a Golf
    as it turned out we were completely underwhelmed, and (obviously) ended up going for the i30, although I quite like the Focus too. just slightly preferred the i30.

I'd still have an old beat up Golf to just run into the ground again though, one of the old fat ones from the 90's :)
    (It's that 'first car' love thing)

really loved the Octavia I had too, despite the flighty front end. Shame the engine cooked itself :(

20. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Yeah, depending on how you like squirrely cars, the VWs are okay, I rather enjoy the fact that you have to constantly keep your eyes on the road with one. I have run off the road in East Anglia and buried myself in manure and plow furrows in a huge muddy mess, only to be towed out by a tiny old lorry with a hook and chain.