The Official "I got a 7800GTX" thread

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Kombatant, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Kombatant

Kombatant Active Member

I got one for testing a while ago:

[​IMG]

So anyone planning on getting one?

2. Prelude

Prelude New Member

Rofl, €599,- where will it end... (Do they expect us to get two of these? what a waste of money imo) I will never ever spend more then €300,- on a videocard. Not that I don't have the money for it, but just because of the principle. It's just so ridiculous.

3. Kombatant

Kombatant Active Member

Actually I've found cards here in Greece for €520 (which means that, judging from the fact that in Greece cards are usually a bit more expensive than the rest of EU) you will be able to find a card under €500.

4. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Tigerdirect already shipped mine.:cool: Should be here later today or Monday.

5. quakerjtf

quakerjtf New Member

I can't believe how much people are ranting about the 7800. For a next generation card, it's just above an x850xt pe. Unless nvidia is going to come out with something much better, the R520 will crush it to pieces, especially in crossfire.

6. nitrousoxide52

nitrousoxide52 Driverheaven.com err .net

Exactly, but they released it early like this so people who were waiting for R520 won't wait anymore, and just buy this card.

7. quakerjtf

quakerjtf New Member

Yeah but the R520 is gonna vaporize this. The 7800gtx SLI only gets something pathetic like 11200 in 3dmark05 stock. Well whatever, if you guys want to waste $600+ on this crap, your fall.

8. blix9

blix9 New Member

I'm with you, Prelude. There was time I called 'going out on my limb' to buy $200+ video card. For me, it is miracle that these graphics card companies pulled off convincing general publc(at least many people in forums like this) to spend over $300 for a video card. Not to mention those over $600. Sheesh... Once again, their marketing departments should feel triumphant.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  9. quakerjtf

quakerjtf New Member

You have to consider the cost/benefit with graphics cards. Spending $300-400 on a new video card is ok if the card has huge performance increases over older models and is necessary, like if you're running on an FX5200. The x800 doubles performance over the 9800 and the R520 will most likely double x800 performance from what I've seen. The 7800gtx has about a 30% performance increase over the 6800. With the psu requirements this thing has, they should have it priced at $500 if they want anybody to fall for it. Nvidia knows there a bunch of morons out there that won't even look at the specs of the card and will just burn $600+ on this thing. blix is right, you really have to give a hand to their marketing.

10. mda96bjh

mda96bjh New Member

I GOT 2!!

yup....SLI Leadtek 7800gtx @ 496/1300

3dmark'03 30,249

:D :D :D :D

11. sc3000

sc3000 New Member

Im kinda waiting for the new ATI card, but im not gonna wait if it don't come out by mid july

12. Shike

Shike Official Cyberpunk ^_-

I'm probably waiting till Christmas for a couple reasons...I want to see the budget line of the 7800s, what the launch of the R520 has to offer not in 3dmarks but actual gaming performance. Lastly, I don't think nVidia completely ditched their Ultra line and find it amusing that this is named GTX, but I may just be paranoid and uninformed...

Lastly, I'm still bound to the AGP slot at this time....oh the pain...

13. Blackboost

Blackboost -=[DHzer0point Author]=-

The 7800 GTX is a great product. The R520, well let's see when can ATI get it on the market. Because the way it looks from their quaterly reports and from the way they handed the demand for the x800 XT and PE chips, this one looks headed the same way and that's very limited, highly priced and let's not forget my favorite "we can't deal with the demand for this product". Don't blame nVIDIA for getting ahead on the market, blame ATi for not getting up to par with them.
    Don't get my wrong, I like both companies since I run an X800 XT PE (AGP) on this rig and a 6800 Ultra (PCI-e) on my girl's rig. Its just that this thread started as an let's see who got a 7800GTX and it turned into another lame ATi vs nVIDIA thread IMO. Like Shike said, a card should be judged on actual gaming performance and not some some synthetic benchmark like some guys do.

(flame suit on):)

P.S. ATi or nVIDIA, you can be sure that the guys at DHZeroPoint will have nice sets for you to play with.:)

14. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I just got a ATI X800 XT PE (for very cheap :D ) so I'm waiting for a LONG time...

15. rudedog

rudedog New Member

Got 2 myself, now if I can only find the time to install them....

[​IMG]

16. Kombatant

Kombatant Active Member

Can we keep the discussion to the people who got 7800GTXs and their experiences with it/them? I am certain you can create "my future R520 will be bigger than yours" threads elsewhere. Thanks :)

17. SaberZ

SaberZ -Android Fanatic-

I would love to get them, but unfortunatly selling my less than a year old BFG 6800 GT OC for 280 and less hurts. Specially since if i wanted to upgrade i'd upgrade to SLI 7800GTX's and would need a new cpu and mobo to do so.

I would probably get 80 bucks if not less for my 2.6c P4

80-100 for my mobo with swiftech cooler for the chipset.

In my eyes that wouldnt be worth it. I'm fiending for an Athlon 64 3500+ but the price is ridiculous for a trivial speed increase over other models. That or an X2 4200-4400+ :(

18. CruNcher

CruNcher New Member

Hi somebody tried the H264 acceleration allready with the newest Driver does it work without a special codec ? the best to test is with a very large HDTV sample 1920x1080 :)

19. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I finally went pcie and picked up one of these bad boys. The Dell 2405fpw was the main reason for the upgrade as my X850 was taking a beating at 1920x1200 with 4xAA/8xAF in many games. The switch to pcie has been effortless and i have to say that this is one kickass card. It has eaten everything i have thrown at it at the above rez/settings along with TRSSAA and it looks really-really good; even better than the X850 if you can believe that. The BFG I picked up came clocked at 460/1300(vs.430/1200 stock) and it’s a great value for the same price as the others. It runs at about 48-68c but it feels A LOT hotter to the touch-you can fry eggs on the backplate lol. It cost me a small fortune but I do not regret it-and that's very rare these days:)

20. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Similar experience as dipstick's...cept my card isn't hot to the touch and runs cooler than 68C under load, even at 496/1425 (when RivaTuner gets bitchy, but zero artifacts after 30 minutes of 05). Mine was out in the open, no case but no airflow either. Mine idled at around 41-42C at 460/1300.

Plan on playing with it again on Tuesday when I get my second PSU (I have two systems right now and my new one doesn't have any software, so I keep my PSU in my old system) and my rad for my watercooling. I also figured out how to make Rivatuner shut up about the internal test...

Anyway, it seems my card is a very good OCer and it can handle my 2405fpw's 1920x1200 at stock speeds anyway. Things are looking very good with this card.