The official "I got a 7900 GT/GTX" thread

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Kombatant, Mar 29, 2006.

1. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Hey- you can get next day air cross shipping for free at the EVGA forums.. They have a specific problem with those card.. the new ones are "fixed" with a volt mod or something.. Definitely go there and they will hook you up.

My GTX is running at superclocked speeds no prob.. well memory almost- core right at 680.. Only have tried up to 1700 mem.. I am thinking 1750 will be no prob.

2. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I'm sending the RMA for cross-shipping today but they do not pre pay for Canadian customers. Not such a big deal except if you read EVGA forums there are many people who are on their 4th and 5th RMA. The cards they are sending out are tested/fixed and still fail. The one I got was supposed to be a fixed card and little good that did.

There is no way in hell I'm gonna pay to ship 5 times to EVGA if that happens.

3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah I think you are lucky though.. I bet you will be getting a fixed one. I think I must have for how this card runs.. but I got it directly from them. The people with a lot of RMA are really a very very small percentage of all the customers they have. And it was actually a problem with a factory in China, and Nvidia's fault. It seems like everyone is getting the good ones now.

I need to go over there and find out how to tell if you got a fixed one or not.

4. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

EVGA needs to do a better job of testing. I mean are they just putting the cards through an hour of 3dmark2006 and sending them out? You should see the threads on their forums it isnt a small number of people who've gotten DOA RMA cards. If possible I'm gonna request they run my replacement in a loop for 24 hours :D

Don't get me wrong I'm patient, the card was performing top knotch till it died I will go through 5 RMA's if I have to and not complain but EVGA better cover some of that shipping or it'll costs in the hundreds.

Heres some Oblivion style tearing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  5. randolph

randolph New Member

dammit

wish i could also be another one's that post "i got one". now just drooling... er.. jealous over those friggin people.

6. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I am RMA'ing mine too- it is doing weird things at default speed after it warm up.. It started artifacting in 3DMark 06 last test (deep freeze).. Then clicking monitor off and on and freezing up windows until I hard boot. They have not sent out the replacement for cross shipment yet though, they have a "stock problem".. That is fine with me as I can still play games on it no problem artifact free. Maybe I will get a newer stock card that has the "7900 series problem" fixed.

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Unfortunately EVGA and Nvidia haven't solved the problem yet and the only solution is they test each batch thoroughly before sending out the replacements. They are still the same cards as we have now. The cross shipping might take anywhere from 2-3 weeks at worst due to the large number of RMA's. Mine got shipped this week it was about 2 weeks wait time.

Have you considered stepping up from GTX to GX2?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I already stepped up from a 7800GTX OC to a 7900GTX EGS.. so no more stepping up for me.. That's ok though, this card is very very fast.

9. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Got my replacement 7900GT CO and it was DOA. Not happy with it cause I paid 50 bucks to customs and gotta pay another 40 to ship back both cards. Screw EVGA's "screening" and supposed testing of all cards.

10. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

you paid brokerage on a RMA?!? That isn't right. I've RMA'd quite a bit to the US, never had to pay any brokerage fees on them.

11. jasonbourne

jasonbourne New Member

i`ve been using my xfx geforce 7900gt extreme edition for 4 months now and i never had a problem i overclocked my card to 600/800 since day one . temps idles at 40 ,41 and it never goes higher than 54.

12. the big Firefly

the big Firefly New Member

i got the same card.....but i dont know if overclocking is so good of an idea.....i read that the factary clocked cards gives problems so overclocking it more....well i dont thing ill be doing that as of yet:hmm:

13. BWX

BWX get out and ride

7900 GTX Series
    New part number - Existing part number
    512-P2-N571-AR - 512-P2-N570-AX
    (my new one)------- (my old one)

They making new ones at EVGA that are fixed. I got one a couple days ago as a cross ship RMA. Need to install it.

Also..

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17364&whichpage=1

also
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1889122&enterthread=y

edit- also interesting but kind of unrelated..
    http://digitimes.com/mobos/a20060703PR207.html

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  14. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Yeap my new 7900GT CO is on the way now apparently these new SKU's are really good.

15. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah I think the cooler is even different on this GTX, not sure though, I need to pull this old one out and see. I hope this new one OC's like the old one.

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

17. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Update for anyone interested...

I've had my EVGA "Reloaded" 7900GT CO overclocked to 550/790 and it runs great and fairly cool (60C at load). So far it crushes every game except Oblivion. Even Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter runs smooth with everything on High.

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I'm surprised it doesn't run 600+ core.. Aren't they the same chips used as GTX's?

19. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I haven't tried to go further than Superclock levels. I'm sure it'll go to at least 580/800. I'll give it a shot today.

Do you recommend any programs for overclocking and testing on Nvidia cards? I'm just using coolbits manual overclocking atm.

20. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I used ATI tool but that was sketchy as hell. It would OC on top of an OC sometimes,. Like instant artifacts all over.. then sometimes it wouldn't OC it at all when you told it to. When it does work, it works well for artifact testing, just hard to get it to work consistently.. When dealing with expensive hardware.. I just decided to use coolbits and the NV CP.

When I do "find max" it always comes up with crazy results different every time. Sometimes it hardly does any OC, sometimes it goes to 690/870..

My card basically just keeps OC'in on the core.. I have never found the limit. I am sure it can't go much higher than 725 core, because the vertex units run 50mhz higher than the overall GPU speed. so that means 725 + 50.. that's nuts.

I don't want to push it. The memory on these new cards is not as good though, it is more reliable but doesn't clock as high.

I just test with games and with 3dmark 06 deep freeze especially. That's where the old cards would bug out.. I think there is an Nvidia specific artifact tester somewhere.. but not sure. There are all kinds of Nvidia tools that I have never used.

Every time I go to an Nvidia forum there are a bunch of little morons running around picking fights with people trolling for anyone who hints at a driver problem, etc.. The mods are worse than the member trolls.. It's funny, I never really realized it because I've had ATI for so long, but the word Nvidiot accurately describes a lot of people out there on the Internets. :lol: