The OFFICIAL "I got a HD6xxx series GPU" Thread

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Dyre Straits, Nov 7, 2010.

1. GamerMax

GamerMax Advanced Computer Nerd

What costs a 6850? I thinking about getting one

2. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

Recieved a XFX reference 6870 1GB purchased from Dyre Straits yesterday! :D All I can say is wow! I had been using a X1950XT 256 MB for close to the last 2 years and obviously the 6870 is a huge upgrade. The interface alone is so much better. Paired with a Gigabyte P45 DDR3 mobo and a dusty Xeon 3110 (E8400 Wolfdale) at 3.6GHz (stock v) it will play most games great, and probably all games decently.

Temps seem decent with the reference cooler, though it is the cold season here and the room ambient is often pretty cool. The reference cooler is doing as expected exhausting any hot air out the back area and not warming up my HDD area. Slightly noisy as expected but will be manageable with all the great software available today.

One thing I'm goin to have to learn up about is the powerplay options and why the the core keeps jumping from 300 to 900 while maneuvering around the desktop/web browser. I hadn't noticed it jumping up and down until I opened a 1080.jpg wallpaper. With the window open (not maximised) if I drag it around the screen it stutters very hard. If I observe afterburners monitor, the GPU seems to be changing core clocks when the stutter occurs. :confused: It'll come around I'm sure. I already had a peak in RBE at the gpuz dump, just to see what all was going on.

Then there is the new CCC that I have never seen. Tons of options in both the 3d settings and video playback tab that look fun! :drool: I had a slight issue with an app I use to change the look of windows. 7 Theme Source Patcher changed alot of stuff to a darker theme, icons and such. But with it installed the CCC refused to start. It was simple enough to undo the changes right in the app and CCC opened after that. If anybody has any suggestion on how to change just about every windows icon to black/darker variant, hook it up. :)

Fired up Skyrim for a few mins to run around, all sliders maxed, all the drop-boxs on high, 8aa/8af, CCC at default settings, it looked to play just about flawless. Also ran 3D Mark 11 and scored a P3662.

Many thanks again to Dyre Straits! :)

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

@[hobo]eclipse: I'm glad you're enjoying the card. It should provide ample game playing enjoyment for quite some time to come.

Keep in mind that I'm clinically deaf, so, fan noise isn't an issue for me. But, that said, I turn on the Overdrive in CCC and set my fan to run at 60%. I've never, in any game at all, seen the temp go over 78. These cards are designed to go up to near 100 without causing problems, but, I still would be uncomfortable letting them get there and stay there for very long.

What PowerPlay does is switch gears whenever a 3D app is present...and animation/video. I "think" the switching is happening whenever a Flash animation shows up on the screen....even in a browser. You might try turning off hardware acceleration for Flash to see if that solves the issue.

Enjoy...and You're Very Welcome!

4. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I got a Gigabyte 6970OC2 to go with my 6990 in Tri-Fire and it's been a learning experience :D

The whole thing is very fickle and while I get serenely low noise levels and less heat using the Windforce card as the primary it ends up making Tri-fire less stable and have so far found it stable using the 6990 as the primary and yanking out my X-FI card so there's just two vid cards in there with plenty of space in between for them to breathe. Doing this I had rock solid performance and 95%+ scaling in BF3 for several hours. Running 1920x1080 4XMSAA/FXAA High around 90-120fps average. I guess I'll either put the sound card in and hope the heat doesn't get out of control or replace it with the X-FI USB.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

What kind of instability? Loss of Xfire performance or crashes?

6. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

It was locking up during gaming needing a hard reboot. I'm not sure what caused this but swapping them was the immediate fix.

Here's what my current configuration looks like. If I remove the X-FI card the temps are good and neither card affects the other due to sufficient airflow. As is GPU1 on the 6990 runs 5-7C hotter due to the fan being blocked but I think I can live with it.

The wiring is a mess and not really fixable, those are all the front panel headers. Power cables are actually not in the way of airflow that's just the angle.

Temps during gaming are:

6990 GPU 1 85-87C , GPU 2 75-80C
    6970OC 55C max. I have it at 85% fan speed but it doesn't seem to matter it is one cool running card even when benchmarking.

[​IMG]

So far I've really only played BF3 with the Tri-Fire configuration but I did try some Crysis 2 out and there was enough juice to play maxed out in 3D at good framerates.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Is it possible to have the 6970 in the top slot but use the 6990 as the primary card?

8. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

No, top slot is the primary 16X slot, the others are 8x.

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Ah fair enough - I guess you wouldn't want to take the 6990 away from the top slot anyway, then. When you were using the 6970 as primary, was that in the current card position also? It's a shame your top slot is blocked for the X-fi really - you could get a big ass third party cooler for the 6990 otherwise :p

10. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I fixed the lockups and now run the 6970 as my main card.

The problem with the 6970 turned out to be it couldn't go past 910/1375 without crashing, so that's where it's at and the 6990 is at 920/1350 and now I can use the 6970 as the main card which means lower temps and quieter fanspeed.

11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Nice. Odd that the reference 6990 goes further than the improved 6970.

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Bios doesn't give you the option to set which PCI-EX port is primary?

I swear mine does.... we at least the boards that provide multiple x16 slots. Hell even the old A8R32-MVP Deluxe board allows to swap the priority of the pci-ex slots.

13. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Doesn't matter anyway if he's got the 6970 working as primary :p

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yeah i know.. i was just thinking outloud... quietly..... by typing it.. and posting my thoughts.. o_O

15. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

It does have that bios option but the thing is if I move them around physically the sound card isn't blocking the 6990's airflow so that's why temps get so much better. That, and the 6970 only hits like 65C at load so as the main card it keeps it cooler.

16. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Well I've got a laptop, but I thought I'd post in here anyway. I recently got my new lappy which has an AMD Radeon 6850M 1GB so I guess I'm in the 6xxxx club. More specs to the left of this post under system specs.

<-----------

17. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

That's a humdinger of a lappy if there ever was one! Congrats!

Calliers likes this.
  18. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Thank you lol. :)

19. dgerryts

dgerryts New Member

20. BigBodZod

BigBodZod Member

A gift to myself is a new Gigabyte 6970, 2GB model from Newegg :)

Should be here around the 21st or so.