"The One" System - one of the fastest computers ever built

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Feb 18, 2004.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

seriously craig, why dont you make a REALLY kick ass system and sell what you have now - for one top of line rig. I read alot of your posts and you are heavily into Ocing, so makes sense to me, unless you really need 3 systems......

2. craig588

craig588 Banned

Those other 2 computers are the 2nd best in the house, and the rest are all even worse. I could probably get what? Maybe 400-500 for each of them? For the PIII rig I might get 200$. I dont think I could even sell a PII rig, or a PII laptop. And then theres my dads old 486 backup machine that he always backs up all of his work onto....

We use every system more than it is worth to sell it. I tried selling some NF7-S V2 mobos, and even offered to do VNB and Vdimm mods on them for free, but still no one wanted to buy them for only 75$.

3. HardwareHeaven

well then your claim of being able to build a better system with unlimited funding (or $6000 if thats unlimited) is something we will have to take your word for. now lets get this thread back on track.

can anyone here beat "the ones" 3dmark scores? cause id like to hear ! :lol:

4. craig588

craig588 Banned

hmm, 6000$ I dont remember seeing that limit before. Lemme price this out.....

2x regassed Mach II systems 2000$
    2X r9800XTs 800$
    2X AFXs 1400$
    1GB pc3200 regged ram 500-600$ (I'm not sure, I dont know much about regged ram)
    2x Asus AFX mobo 300$
    2x 36GB raptors 250$
    lite-on dvd/cd burner 150$
    PSU 200$
    audigy 2 ZS 100$
    Pastes, gels, compunds, sparys, ect. 50$
    electronic components 50$
    lian li 70 200$
    chilled water setup was about 400$ worth of parts
    pelteir 15$
    copper stock 10-50$ depending on how much I screw up :D
    Total: 6665$ I guess I cant get the best out of 2 on the AFXs.
    I could just RMA the comonents that didnt clock as high back to newegg like so many people do, but I dont like returing stuff that has been overclocked in any way. (Except mobos because the manufacturer specficily makes them for overclocking)

I'm sure this system will be able to beat that systems scores by quite a bit. If I happened to get really good runs of the stuff it might even have a chance at going for the fastest in the world.

How could you spend 6000$ without using some sort of phase change system?

5. HardwareHeaven

$6000 was the price Kyle posted on Page2 (for one system). and if i was building a system like this I wouldnt use the 36 gig raptors they are slower than the larger models.

6. craig588

craig588 Banned

really? I didnt know that. I used them because I havnt seen anyone that uses more than like 60 gigs on a consumer level PC. On buisiness end computers they have hundreds of gigs of data to manage.

7. HardwareHeaven

this is meant to be the FASTEST system out there? right? the Average Read Seek Time: 5.2 ms
    on the 36 gig drive with 55 MB/sec outer-zone transfer rates, whereas Average Read Seek Time: 4.5 ms on the 74 gig with 72 MB/sec outer-zone transfer rates.

ever heard of Raid 0? ive two of the 36gigs in Raid 0 and its screaming, not much point building a top end system and using a single drive - hard drives are a massively important part of a system. ive a review of the 36 gig 10k raptors in raid, go SEE the differences.

you dont know anyone who uses more than 60 gig on their system??? ive around 700 gig of storage on my system, and id class 60 gig as entry level now. this is a moot point. its about SPEED.

8. craig588

craig588 Banned

of course I was going to put them in raid 0, thats why I used 2 of them.

If I only bought 1x of the r9800xt and the mobo I could afford 2x 76 raptors, but I'm taking a big chance in hoping that they will not be dud overclockers. (all theroetical, I cant afford even a single raptor in real life ;))

9. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Hey snuffy, is that a custom watercooling setup? Could you please tell me the average temps? Also if you don't mind me asking, how much voltage did that FX need to hit 2.7GHz? Sorry for all the questions but I'm thinking of picking up a nice watercooling setup;)
    thx

10. craig588

craig588 Banned

its a danger den maze 4 on both the CPU and GPU.

11. snuffy

snuffy Just one of the many.

That price was to build the system.

Also if your are going to play the pricing game.

2 SK8V even form the all powerfull cheep-o Newegg they are 209.00 a piece. SO not 300 but 418.00

The custom laser etching....that was not free.

The case was not a Lian Li but a one off custom Acrylic case made for this project.

Also this system wieghs about 65LBS complete and is one piece. I would love to see you stuff two Mach II systems into a PC70 case with the rest of the parts. Even if I low ball the wieght to 50lbs a piece the system will weigh over 100lbs. Like I said the system is completely self contained. It has one more power plug than a standard system and you only have one button to push to start. The power button.

Also I used a Plextor 8x DVD-RW not a Liteon. It did include a MX500 mouse and a Zboard too. Both are small adds.

Finially someone ask how much. That was a built price not parts. That included the labor to build the system which took well over 40 hours.

BTW the system is still on the first page of the ORB in 3dmark03.......

Sort by best score per person....last one on the page is this system.

12. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Hey Craig, I'm glad it's just our name we share, and not Ego's I'd be trapped here in my room with a head that size, hehe, j/k Good work on your system but it's not a shopping cart competition ;) :D

13. snuffy

The stuff was by Danger Den. We are a dealer of their stuff and it is top notch. I have personally used their blocks for over 2 years and never a leak or an issue. Also they are real nice guys who will help you out if they can. To hit 2.7 GHz I was running the CPU @ 1.75 core which is the max for the board without the volt mod. We were using a 226watt @ 15volt Pelt. The PSU that we got to run it was supposed to be a 15Volt unit but I was miss shipped a 12 Volt piece and did not have time to replace it with the bigger unit. The temp started to climb when I went higher on the volt to run high speeds. I had it running @ 2.86 Ghz at 1.85 volt but was not happy about the temps.

@ 2.7 the system idled around 10C.

I have a FX51 @ 2.4 GHz stock Vcore. Running the DangerDen RBX. Extreme radiator. 312 GPH pump. Idle around 29-32C load around 40C.

14. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Awesome, sounds like they make some really impressive watercooling equipment. Do they have a website or do you have to hunt down individual pieces? I'm looking for a nice kit that will cool better than an SLK hsf but also last for some time.
    Sorry for all the questions, your help is very appreciated.

15. snuffy

You can buy it direct from www.Dangerden.com or from me (www.aacdirect.com). Our prices are exactly the same. If you tell me your system specs I will PM a price quote for a setup that will work for you. Also do you have a case that you are going to run it in. If so tell me that too.

16. craig588

craig588 Banned

Oh, I figured most mobos were only about 150$. Guess not...

My systems always look like any other system. Theres no point in modding for visual effects because you look at it, what maybe 15 seconds a day to turn it on. (Prove me wrong)

I said I could rig up simple timing circuts to allow you to only need to push one button and I could very easily rewire the mach IIs to run off the same power that the PSU does. The mach II units are desinged to go on the base of the case, not inside. Mach II units weight about 50 pounds each, so this whole assembled system would weigh about 150 pounds, but what does that have to do with anything? Desk strength?

Oh, and If price was that big of a problem, I could use 2 mach 1s, they are identical to the mach IIs other than being less user friendly, but they do provide the same temps.

17. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Sweet, you're the man! Complete specs are in my sig (athlon 64/9800/Xaser III case)
    Thanks a lot!!!

18. HardwareHeaven

Craig what the hell is the point of building a rig meant as a very special giveaway from alot of major companies in a very public event and putting it in a cheap ass beige case! part of the fun of building high end rigs is the visual impact. Incidentally we arent here to prove you wrong we are here to talk about this rig, not how l33t your rigs would be if you had been given the same money as Kyle - learn some social graces. The rest of your last post isnt even worth commenting on. beligerent just for the sake of it.

Now for the final time if you have nothing else to say in this thread without sounding like an ass I suggest you dont.

check your pm

19. HardwareHeaven

I smell new hardware coming your way !

20. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if i ever getting enough money.... which is probably never going to happen..... i'd wonder how well 4 of those drives in raid 0 would preform....