The World Is Coming To An End! (In 17 Years)

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Shaith, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Shaith

Shaith New Member

An asteroid discovered just weeks ago has become the most threatening object yet detected in space. A preliminary orbit suggests that 2002 NT7 is on an impact course with Earth and could strike the planet on 1 February, 2019 - although the uncertainties are large.

Astronomers have given the object a rating on the so-called Palermo technical scale of threat of 0.06, making NT7 the first object to be given a positive value.

From its brightness, astronomers estimate it is about two kilometres wide, large enough to cause continent-wide devastation on Earth.

For more details, click <a target="_blank" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2147879.stm">here</a> and hold onto your hats!

2. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

hehe, Well good luck to everyone, I'll be 35, prolly have a loverly wife and two kids when I'm cut off in my prime, :weep:

3. Doomtrooper

Doomtrooper Driverheaven Senior Member

Hmmm...off to start working on some form of spacecraft..If I start now just maybe...where is a good place to find used rocket engines ;)

4. huwdw

huwdw New Member

Re:

Try the Russian Space agency, if you can buy trips in to space from them, im sure they'd sell you a rocket or two for the right price :)

5. Dom

Dom New Member

The world's coming to an end! The world's coming to an end! Not. People have always said the world would end, basicly ever year. The world was supposed to end in the year 1000 and two years ago, but nothing happened. So I'm not worring this time. :cool:

6. Shaith

Shaith New Member

Re:

The Russians haven't made anything that'll actually stay UP without our help yet.

Remember MIR?

MIR, in Russian, supposedly meant "peace". Perhaps we mistranslated - it actually meant "pieces"

Flaming ones at that.

Let the end of the world come - I'm planning my party already :)

7. Togy

Togy New Member

Re:

You think 35 is old? 35 is not even the half way (usually ;)

8. Olivaw

Olivaw New Member

In the AP article titled "Astronomers: Asteroid Hit Unlikely," the reporter Andrew Bridges wrote, "Astronomers said the odds were one in 250,000 and further calculation would probably show it will miss the planet entirely." So I'm not too concerned about that one, but in the same article he said, "Last month, an asteroid the size of a soccer field missed the Earth by 75,000 miles in one of the closest known approaches by an object that size." :eek:

9. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Is Microsoft behind this??!?

NT7, eh? Well since NT5 has sold so well, we have to take action immediately! Massive boycotts of all Microsoft goods and services, along with global support of the US Government's case against MS!! Hopefully our efforts will help completely destroy Microsoft before they release NT7.

RISE TO ACTION, O MY BROTHERS!!!

10. Shaith

Shaith New Member

Re:

And if I recall correctly...

They didn't know it was coming until it was on top of us.

11. coffindancer

coffindancer New Member

And remember, it will wipe out one (1!) continent and will bring climate changes!

Well that means we will finally see the sun again in germany and with a little luck it will hit the atlantic ocean and so I will have some nice seaview in the middle of germany, too ;-))!

12. RadeonMAXX

RadeonMAXX Made Man

I'm not going to worry to much about it. We should have technology to be able to defect or destory it by then. I say deflect it with a high power laser or some sort.

13. ATiWillCrumble

ATiWillCrumble New Member

or use a satilite and create a tacyon field around the earth and open a rift in space and send it back to the future....ok that was aload of crao really. cough i've watched too many episodes of star trek NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

14. raptora12

raptora12 Mystic seeker

there is an astroid you will be able to see in august with binoculars

:)

15. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

I figure that the asteroid has 17 YEARS to bump into something else and change it's trajectory. I'm not worried.

16. raptora12

raptora12 Mystic seeker

to tell the truth one that size,moving at that speed in no atmosphere

the moon would be our best chance.the nasa people are already working on plans to defect objects of this size.one scientist on t.v. said that he would hope they could deflect it.when they figure out how to.

17. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Hello? it's quite simple, has anyone ever seen Armageddon? You jus' got to send some Hollywood filmstars up there (no big loss) they'll blow it up for us. and the world will be safe, and if it's gonna take 17years to reach us? then it must be going pretty slow, in which case, i predict it will nudge us, and be repelled back, and the Aliens that sent it to earth will have it heading back to them, it's really jus' a universe sized game of pong, Nasa must have signed up for it on the internet in the 50's

18. One of the Twelve

One of the Twelve New Member

...weer all going to HEAVEN - are we? So, no need to panik at all :D

19. Shaith

Shaith New Member

Re:

"That's like shooting a BB gun at a freight train, doc."

20. Qba73

Qba73 Bench This

its not the ones we know about that scare me, its the one's we dont know about that scares me the most, the budget for detecting these objects covers roughly 25% of the objects up there, food for thought, jus live life to the fullest and if that day comes just kiss ur ass goodbye..lol