Thermal Pads

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

In the next few weeks, I hope, I will do some maintenance on my laptops. I believe there are thermal pads on some locations which I might as well replace them. The problem(?) is that from what I know there are different thickness pads and I don't know which to use when the time comes.

Anyone with experience on the matter? I have never done this before and I hate the idea of using the wrong thickness and ending up with worse situation than before.

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Im not a fan TBH I have only used one once and when the time came to redo the pad I could not get the heatsink off, the pad had welded them solid to point where the cpu pulled out of the board still stuck to the heatsink ... never again for me

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

until you see the thickness and clearances of the existing pads, it's relatively next to impossible to make a suggestion on what to order.

Personally though, replacing the pads are unnecessary unless they are damaged or weren't making proper contact to begin with. Much like thermal paste rarely is ever a problem unless it's complete garbage to begin with.

4. Trusteft

Yeah, the problem is that if I try to replace the thermal paste of the GPU, the whole assembly has to be removed, which includes parts of the motherboard under said pads.

As for their thickness, I am not sure how I can measure them at such small sizes, plus the whole been squashed to a sheet of paper after many years, is going to help either.
    At least from videos I have watched of other similar attempts.

EDIT: I said thermal pad for the GPU, when it should be thermal paste. Now fixed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  5. Judas

Far as i know, the thickness is determined by the gap measured with it mounted minus the existing pad. The only reason you don't use a thermal paste in favor of a pad is a clear gab rather than full physical contact. There's only been a few cases where i've replaced a thermal pad with thermal paste after disovering that the part actually had physical contact which substantially improved cooling. Coincidentally theyve been in HP and Toshiba laptops.

For example.. if the gap is say 1mm, i'd probably favor at least 1.25mm thermal pads as you need at least a little pressure, 1.5mm may be more ideal if the components "shift/contract". The thing about thermal pads is that the thicker they are, the more resistance they have for conducting, so the thinner you can make it, the better without losing full surface contact. And no, smushing the thermal pad that is thick, down making it thinner doen't functionally work the same. as a thinner pad.

But i'm sure plenty of different opinions and suggestions other technicians would likely have. I'm sure a few would say a 1mm gap should have a 1mm thermal pad, i just personally like to have a little extra pressure there rather than being loosely fitting and possibly losing contact in some situations.

6. Trusteft

What if I remove the heatpipes as is, replace the thermal paste on the GPU, and leave the thermal pads, any that may exist in other parts, as is? Even if they are in terrible condition?

7. Judas

It's worth a shot unless they are truly in horrible shape.... best you can do is keep an eye on it and then see if it becomes a problem.

8. Trusteft

Oh man, the idea of doing that drives me crazy for some reason.