Thinking of buying a new digital camera

Discussion in 'Heavenly Visions & Echoes' started by Calliers, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Kizo

Kizo HHs Valve fanatic

I would have suggested taking a look at Sony NEX 3N, but the Olympus choice is the better one for your needs I think (not to outgrow it soon), since it has more features than the Sony, even though it has smaller sensor.

If you can find that the Sony NEX 5N is in your price range, in my opinion that would be the best choice. (a little older model, couldn't find it at amazon.ca, should have a price higher than the 3N, lower than the 5R)

Calliers likes this.
  2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

My recommendations were based on size ;) but the E-PL3 is more capable in terms of options/settings than a "Rebel" camera, can do custom white balance via Kelvin settings, a faster frame rate and the angled screen is handy for shooting in the sun and "above the crowd" angles.
    The little flash can be annoying on top, but it clicks in quickly (much better than the Sony method) takes up very little space and comes with a pouch that slides onto the neck strap, so even when not on the camera it's still there when needed

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I can't wait to order and use this camera, will be getting the Olympus Pen E-PL3 for sure, just can't wait. :)

Plus rep all around.

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

you will purchase this camera and then within time, more gadgets and thingamabobs to make the experience more fun. Do you have PS on our computer, even ELEMENTS is good.

5. Calliers

No, I don't have PS on my computer, I'll have to get it as soon as I get the camera too. :)

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I think Adobe Elements is a solid product, certainly gives the consumer good tools, well worth it. Here is a good site for information, among many of course.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

Thank you, more rep going your way!

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I wanna pony....

9. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

haha... Rockwell, interesting guy... PS Elements is really quite capable, great for organising and editing all in one

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

He is no different than a few other folks that claim to test everything, but he is a good read and informative. Frankly that is why I prefer Nikons to this day.

11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

There is a newer version of this than the one I have now. But, this camera has done for me everything I wish for it to do...and then some! Here is a good review of it, too...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydschx100v

[​IMG]

Following are some actual shots I took with my camera at the circus a couple months ago. These are all without any flash and mostly with very low lighting. My seating was about half-way up from the performers ... probably a good 100-150 feet from them. The zoom on this camera is to die for!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shot will give you a very good idea as to how far I was sitting from the performers. And, this is all without a tripod, too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is an enlarged image directly from the shot of the Lion with its mouth open... Taken directly from the original shot...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  12. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Nice clarity but I would recommend in pictures like that top one toning down the speed so that you get a little motion blur. Not a lot, just enough to show movement.

13. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If you want clarity, you can get clarity; if you want motion blur, you can get motion blur...

[​IMG]