This A7V333 is killing me....

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by gonx_me, Nov 14, 2002.

1. gonx_me

gonx_me New Member

Hi to all!

I've a Asus A7V333 rev 1.01 bios 1015, and i'm having big trouble with it. Since i've upgrated to bios 1013 (from 1012), i've started to have problems with warm boot. I always upgrade my bios with a MS-DOS disk with aflash. It started to hang during restarts, or just corrupted my SO. I've thought that a new bios would fix this problem, but nothing. I've updated to bios 1014 and them to 1015, but no help. I've also tried to downgrade the bios to 1011, or 1012 or 1010 but the problem continued.
    After that, i've thought that could be power supply problems. I've have change from a OEM (original Task) 300W to a chiefteck 360w, but also no go. Them i've thought that could be a memory problem. I've changed the 2 dimm DDR 2100 OEM to 2 Kingstone DDR 2700. No go. I've tried to change the dimm banks, but also nothing. I've tested with several SO, from win XP (with and without SP1), win2k, winME, win98, Red Hat, With NTFS, FAT32, and linux.
    I'm not making any overclock.

But the wierd stuff is that, if i've start normally (cold boot) i've no problem at all. All runs great. But if i have to restart the computer, it hangs during boot (stop when the energy star symbol appears) or runs throught boot but when it's starting to run windows it says that my SO is corrupted and you have to repair your windows instalation.

Could you help me?

Waiting for a quick anwser, Gonçalo

P.S- Sorry for my english, it's not my 1st language.

2. DLD

DLD New Member

-Sounds like it could be a Windows problem. Maybe some initializing files got corrupted. Have you tryed to reinstall XP?
    -After flashing, did you set the new BIOS's parameters and after that, just when your desktop showed up, was there a message from XP that "new hardware is found etc."?
    -Sometimes the discharging of the CMOS (with battery taken out) helps a lot.
    -Have you uninstalled/reinstalled Via's "4 in 1" driver set?

3. gonx_me

gonx_me New Member

well, i've tried to reinstalled all windows. I've tested it with win XP, win2k, and winME and 98. and no go. I've tried to reinstalled, tried to recovery instalation and nothing.

After upgrading bios, i've tried to clear CMOS (using the jumper), put everything at default, and still nothing. If i restart from windows, i can't get to windows again. It just will not boot. It hangs after the "energy star" symbol apperar or after hard drive detections. But if i start from disconnected from power, or after a clean shutdown i don't have any problem.
    I've tried several via's drivers set.

Should i send it to RMA?

4. yello

yello New Member

not for sure if i heard correctly so someone correct me if im wrong. i thought kingston ram are not compatible w/ this board? im probably wrong. also, have u try giving your ram more juice?

5. One of the Twelve

One of the Twelve New Member

This is definitely not a windows-problem. Sound like processor (or, memory) problem. Please check out, if "Motherboard Monitor" or "Speedfan" works on your mobo, and check out the processor temperature. If it gets too high, which I assume the problem to be, please try to find out a better cooling system.

I am almost sure your AMD is far too hot.

6. gonx_me

gonx_me New Member

well ....

I've change the board and the problem is gone. Now i'm runnig on a A7V8X and no problems at all. It's was the A7V333. My temps were 29C the board and 47C the CPU on-die. So was not the temps problem.

7. Desert_Siege

Desert_Siege Professional Slacker

Saw this one too late, but may have had a fix if you had a parallel printer...

I had the same board and in order to do a warm reboot for some reason I had to disconnect my printer. As stupid as that sounds, it worked. If I left the printer connected, it would hang after showing installed memory and Processor, right before it displayed the connected drives. Most annoying. Have a co worker who has the same board and no issues with it what so ever. Maybe just a fluke thing, who knows. Important thing is you got it running.