This device cannot start. (Code 10) - XtremeGamer

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Kaelan, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Kaelan

Kaelan New Member

System Specs
    Processor : Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz
    Motherboard: XFX 780i SLI
    Ram: 8 Gigs OCZ Reaper @ 800mhz
    Video Card: EVGA GTX 260
    Sound Card: XtremeGamer model: SB0730
    Bios Revision: P08
    Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream 850 Watt

Onboard Sound Disabled in Bios.

Problem
    I installed the sound blaster into a brand new system with the specs above. Tried all the PCI slots, tried different bios versions, drivers that came on the cd and newest ones, different amounts of ram. However I still can't get the card to work just keep getting the error message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Any ideas?

Been trying to figure this out for the past week now just can't get the card to work.

2. scurvy

scurvy So Cutesy Wootsy

3. Kaelan

Kaelan New Member

Yep I've checked around and dozens of people have had this error with X-Fi cards and Windows Vista - 64 but I can't find a resolution to the problem.

4. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Welcome you try my driver mods yet?

5. scurvy

scurvy So Cutesy Wootsy

hey Bob, I love the way u go from thread to thread plugging ur drivers.

6. Kaelan

Kaelan New Member

Yep went into safe mode uninstalled the old drivers and tried yours Rob. Nothing seems to work. I'm thinking of just getting an Asus Xonar DX2.

7. Robert McClelland

Is that card still under warreted?

8. Robert McClelland

Thats what I love to do help people out try get there sound card to work :)

9. Kaelan

Kaelan New Member

Yep just bought it last saturday works on my other pc just not this one.

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

A couple things:

- The other machine that you tried the card on (which works), what OS do you have on it? If it's the same, what revision is the OS? Original, or SP1? And what version of is the OS on the machine that the card doesn't work on?

- The machine that the card doesn't work on, have you tried disabling UAC, as well as disabling and/or uninstalling any anti-virus software before you install the card? If you have UAC disabled already, have you tried re-enabling it to see if the driver needs it enabled to install?

- Have you tried running the driver installation using the "Run as Administrator" option?

- You have the onboard audio disabled, but had you, at any time, had it enabled, and the drivers for it installed? If so, make sure the drivers/app for it is uninstalled within "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel.

11. Kaelan

Kaelan New Member

The other machine was running XP SP3. Current machine is Vista 64 SP1. Tried with both UAC enabled and disabled still won't work. Clean Install of vista so there's nothing on here except the basics. Yep I've run the drivers as admin. It was a clean install of Vista so no onboard drivers were installed. Here's a pic if it helps http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5751/errormsglv3.jpg

12. Robert McClelland

Did you updated your chip drivers?

13. Kaelan

Kaelan New Member

Yep tried newest drivers, tried the ones on the cd, also tried Daniel K's. I'm thinking of giving up and going with an Asus Xonar Dx2.

14. Richie-b

Richie-b In the corner

Try disabling the onboard hdmi on your gtx260, I had some problems installing the onboard soundmax on my machine and this helped.

15. Kaelan

Kaelan New Member

GTX 260 HDMI isn't showing up in the sound panel so don't know how to disable it.

16. Richie-b

Richie-b In the corner

It might show up under system devices in the device manager as "High Definition Audio Controller"

I had 2 devices listed in the device manager, so i disabled the top one and re-ran the installer,re-booted and the drivers loaded.

Hope this get you fixed

17. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The GTX 260 doesn't have an HDMI port though. If you mean you had problems with your current card, the ATI HD4870, then this is different as the ATI card has an onboard Realtek audio chip that is used for the HDMI audio out. The only Nvidia 200 series card that has an HDMI port is the GTX 295, and even this requires that the SPDIF header from the sound card is connected to the video card to pass the audio through the HDMI port. ATI is the only one that has an onboard audio chip (as far as I'm aware). There is, however, one thing that might be a problem, and that is that some motherboards come with onboard HDMI ports, and I have seen separate audio listings for the HDMI port over the onboard audio. Disabling the onboard audio can sometimes NOT disable the HDMI audio, so you have to do some digging in the bios to turn that off to. If the motherboard doesn't have an onboard HDMI port, though, then this isn't relevant.

@ Kaelen. You mentioned that you have an XtremeGamer... however, are you sure it's not an XtremeAudio? The reason I ask is that the drivers for the XtremeGamer, or the other X-Fi cards, won't work for the Audio.

I also remember there being an issue where a few X-Fi cards had different device IDs, and wouldn't work with Creatives drivers. Whether these were OEM cards made for Dell or someone else, I can't remember (in fact I remember there being mention of a Code 10 issue in the PAX thread).

Oh, and another suggestion. In the bios, check to see what the setting for Plug and Play is set for. If it's "No", change it to "Yes".

18. Kaelan

Kaelan New Member

No hdmi.
    I experimented with disabling everything on the motherboard from the firewire to the serial ports. Nothing helped.

Yep its an Xtremegamer retail not oem.

I think it has something to do with the Nforce board, the gtx260 and the 8 gigs of ram. Don't think they play well with the sound card.

I'm going to try getting an Asus DX2 see if that will work, going to return the gamer.

19. Richie-b

Richie-b In the corner

Thanks for the info Tipstaff, I only did a quick search to see if the GTX260 had onboard audio and spotted a SP/DIF connector on the card in a photo and assumed the card had on-board audio.

I recieved the same error(code 10) when I switched back to using my on-board Soundmax audio, but I think it was a combination of not remembering to switch the soundmax audio back on in the bios after removing my existing soundcard, and trying to install the soundmax drivers on a deviced that was not switched on, and subsequently trying to force an install of soundmax drivers through the device manager onto a "High Definition Audio Device" listed in the device manager.

The solution was to uninstall all the audio devices listed in the device manager along with the drivers, re-boot into the bios and enable the on-board sound,save, re-boot and install the Soundmax drivers after Vista had picked up the new hardware.

Sound a bit wacky I know, but beer and computers never go together :D and I'd had few that night.

20. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

to take the thread on a different tangent - I had the same error message with a generic CMI based USB interface after a repair install of vista 32. Re-installing a signed driver fixed the problem