This Laptop Will Just Not Quit Messing With My Head

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by digerati, Aug 4, 2008.

1. digerati

digerati Everyones life has worth

Okay, so a friend/co-worker has a HP DV9000 laptop that was giving him problems. He could only browse websites that were in his favorites. I get the laptop, disable the anti-virus suite and go to work cleaning it out with adaware and resetting network sockets and what not. Adaware finds like 1,000 infections and I clean it out. Browsing works a bit better, but still certain websites weren't working, but hey, we had progress. I give him back his laptop to take home.

He goes home and re-enables his norton 360 thingy, the computer tells him he needs to restart, he restarts, and at boot he gets "Error: Userinit.exe - failed to intialize" and it won't boot properly. I figure maybe the registry got corrupted? I bring home the laptop to use one of my xp discs to repair the registry and the xp setup tells me that it CAN'T FIND A F*XING HARD DRIVE! Alright, this is a problem. But maybe I'll just use a bootable flash drive, but oh wait, the interweb tells me my 8gb flash drive is too big for that.

Anyone got any suggestions?

2. Syndicate2083

Syndicate2083 New Member

you could always just partition the flash drive down to like 3 gigs or something.

3. Nuke209

Nuke209 New Member

I believe it has to do more with the SATA thing, that's why it cannot find the HD.
    I know on my notebook, I have to set the SATA from AHCI to Sata Compatility to install xp onto it.