This old Soundblaster Live! 24 bit

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by IEMC, Feb 1, 2008.

1. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

I have a 5.1 surround currently installing on my onboard sound card. Works fine, great quality, no issues there.

From an old computer of mine, I have this Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (SB0410) and was wondering if it would make a difference (not necessarily better, but could be, but worse) in game performance / audio quality.

The reason I ask is because it's fairly old / low end by todays standards, but I have it, it's in perfect condition, and it will be replacing onboard sound card if I use it.

Does anyone have any experience with this card / have some input as if it's wise to use with today's top of the line games? The most graphic intensive game I play to date is TF2, just to give an idea of what I expect to run with it.

I'm not looking for a new soundcard, just wondering if the one I have is worth using.

Thanks for any input.

2. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

A few months ago I bought a SB Live from WallyWorld for $20 bucks and I've noticed a huge improvement over the onboard sound quality. Not so much in games performance wise (other than EAX support). Give it a shot, you might be surprised.

3. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Assuming you're talking about the Biostar Tforce 945P motherboard, the ALC655 audio has a lower SnR ratio than the Live! (90dB vs. 100 dB., I believe, according to their specs), so I'd go ahead and give it a shot.

The card and the onboard sound both support only EAX2, so it won't make any difference from that point of view.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

ALC655 isn't all that bad... but it's no where near the HD standards set by realteks own preferences for the ALC88x series...

It'd be a toss up, the only difference being that the creative driver support is exceptionally lacking while you can still get ahold of up to date, fully supported and working WHQL drivers from realtek...

5. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

I went ahead and tried it.

While I cant notice any quality issues (if anything it's a tad worse), the only issue is the way the card does surround. I've tried all the different settings and I can't get it to match how the onboard surround was.

The card just doesn't handle the different channels correctly, or something, I don't know. Like, the rear channel is muffled.

Thanks for all the input, anyhow, but I'm sticking with the onboard.