Thoughts on Polaris: RX 480

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Neshi, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

So, $199 for the equivalent of a R9 390X, GeForce GTX 980, or air-cooled Radeon Fury.
    That's quite something.

I would say a hell of a lot better than a 1070 for double the price.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

We'll see how true this is soon enough. I am hopeful, but I'm not taking it for granted. If the transition to 14nm goes really well, it doesn't sound unrealistic.

3. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

AMD revealed these numbers and prices at Computex, I'd say it is quite true.

slightly paraphrased

EDIT:
    I guess you mean real-world performance opposed to AMD marketing talking. Got it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    IvanV likes this.
  4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

amd is usually ... usually a little more in line with realitic values for their pr/marketing... when they post them... nvidia.. however.... will blow things way the fuck out of purportions any chance they get.

However in either case... I would prefer to see what comes of is before saying.

As we know right now... nvidia's 1080/1070 is just a die shrunk maxwell with significantly (massively improved) better VR support... it's not remotely pascal at all... they appear to have just named the chip pascal cause it was demanded from the people.. and it's a lot easier slapping GP on the chip model than to admit they couldn't produce an actual pascal chip in time that wasn't going to cost you $30,000 per chip.