Thoughts on the so called snooper's charter

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by blibbax, Nov 26, 2016.

?

Do you think the snooper's charter will be:

1. Good for the UK's national security

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bad for the UK's national security

100.0%
  3. Neither of the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Details here if anyone hasn't heard of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_Communications_Data_Bill

It was recently passed into law by UK parliament.

My main thoughts:
    1. IP addresses aren't people. If I sit outside your house and hack your wifi, I can go visit whatever sites I like and this could later be used in court against you, as far as I can tell.
    2. As it stores domains rather than full history, it's very easy to circumvent anyway. I could just visit the Google cached version of pages I'm worried about, or use a VPN.
    3. I'm worried at the lack of public oversight around access to this data.
    4. It'll surely be a matter of weeks after ISPs start collecting this data before one of them is hacked and a loads of people's internet history is uploaded online.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Next time vote for a party which is against this.
    Good luck.
    I am against anything which gives more power to the government over its citizens.

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the law in Sweden since few years back. Only one ISP have fought against this but have been forced to comply with storing user history. Though, they offer a free VPN (unencrypted) to circumvent this.

As you say, if someone hacks into your wifi and visits illegal sites and downloads illegal stuff it could put you in prison since it's up to you to prove you didn't do it. With a law like this the fundamentals in our constitution that you're innocent until proven guilty isn't valid anymore, this is a reversed evidence situation.

blibbax likes this.
  4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I did vote for a party which was against this. But politics in the UK is pretty hopeless right now, unless racism, authoritarian government, and economic inequality are your three favourite things.

Interesting, I didn't realise that anything like this was in place elsewhere.