Tick Tick Tick

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by DarkFoss, Jan 17, 2005.

1. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

Ahh, the seemingly endless waiting for those new ATI Linux Drivers is almost over :drool:

2. TJ-

TJ- New Member

yea pity they dont support the mobility series :rolleyes:

3. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

Hmm I got the impression that the new drivers would support the mobility series.
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33795689&page=1&pp=30

Of course wading through all the whiney spam, has addled my brain somewhat.
    Also mentions something about needing a patch if your using the 2.6.10 kernel?
    Changes were made too late to be incorporated in the new 8.8 drivers.
    I've been up too late and couldn't find the patch itself, time to sleep.:sleep:

4. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

It's not april 1st yet :p

5. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Well, I hope they will be released soon... it doesn't matter to me if it's going to happen today or tomorrow or next week, I just want them to support X.org 6.8.

6. RIV@NVX

It's released!!! Direct link to X.org versions (i386 and x86_64):
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx_6_8_0-8.8.25-1.i386.rpm
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx64_6_8_0-8.8.25-1.x86_64.rpm

Some possibly useful links too:
    Drivers: http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
    FAQ: http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html
    HOWTO: http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/linuxhowto-ati.html
    Issues: http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/linux/linuxdriverissues.html
    Release notes: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.8.25.html
    Linux and XFree86 Info: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html

I'm going to test it on FC3 this weekend, since I'm really busy during the week. Others please report your findings when you manage to test it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  7. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

I'm going to try'em tonite...should be quite fun to install'em without gui support.

8. TJ-

TJ- New Member

Display drivers and multimedia applications for notebooks with ATI graphics solutions are available for download from your Notebook manufacturer.

For your convenience, a list of links to notebook manufacturers is available in the ATI Onboard section of our website.

***well thats no help, toshiba doesnt supply any linux drivers, i called them and they told me they dont support linux!

The display driver supplied with a given notebook has been customized for:
    the built-in flat panel display
    any other graphics or video options installed in that specific computer.

As a result of these customizations, ATI Customer Care is unable to offer drivers for notebooks.
    We recommend that you:
    use the driver supplied with your notebook computer, or,
    obtain a driver update from the manufacturer of your notebook computer.

9. md5

md5 New Member

yeah sucks, and there are no Omega drivers for linux :(

have you tried installing those RPMs ? They might just work for your laptop

10. UberLord

Time to test em out on my AMD64 box tonight ....

I'll be happy if it gives me snappy 2D - I'd be happier if Composite and Damage extensions work :)

11. TJ-

TJ- New Member

rpm's???

12. RIV@NVX

Almost my thoughts!!!

I'll be happy if it gives me 100Hz refresh rate in 2D - I'd be happier if I could run RTCW:ET (only well known native linux game I have) without problems. And what's Composite and Damage? ;)

13. UberLord

14. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

Bah Permission hell

So far no joy for me. I'm following Ati's installation guide They compiled fine but I got the Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present error and told me to go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir and execute ./make.sh. So I su to root and cd to the directory and issue the command. I get a permission denied:sigh:
    So I rebooted the comp and of course no gui so at the intit 3 screen I log in as root cd the the directory and get the exact same error logged in as root. Being a newb I'm quite confused I thought root had all privliges?? Did a little reading about chmod chown quite confused myself is any of that nessisary when you are logged in as root already ?

15. UberLord

root does have all privs (except in an ACL based kernel), but root still cannot run files not marked "executable" which is probably the problem here.

Code:
    cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod
    chmod +x make.sh
    ./make.sh
    There - that should sort it!

16. BulletFx

BulletFx New Member

hi, ati says that to install it's xorg 6.8 drivers you must need GCC installed....how can i check if i have them installed??

17. RIV@NVX

Doesn't work here. I tried anything that came on my mind, but still it won't work :(

I'm using FC3. I can install it with "Install packages" from GUI or with rpm -Uh --force fglrx_version.rpm, but either way it doesn't actually install (as in integrate into OS), but just extracts files into some places in the OS.

Then I run fglrxinfo, and it says something else than "ATI Technologies" (I think it was Mesa3D). ATI suggest running fglrxconfig, I come to the end and it writes a file called X86Free4-Config (or similar, suggesting that it doesn't nicely support X.org yet).

Then I restart... nothing, still default drivers. Perhaps the most stupid thing - I rename xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bak and that file created by ATI's fglrxconfig to xorg.conf; after a restart, X won't start. I had similar story when attempting to change minimal refresh rate for my monitor to 100Hz (having 100-160 instead of 50-160); after restarting system, X won't start. It won't go further than something like "Configuring kernel parameters:" (second thing, if it would matter I will look for the correct name).

Any ideas?

18. BulletFx

BulletFx New Member

yep, i'm having the same exact problem with Suse 9.2 ..... can someone help us out??? anyway it's a shame tha ati still come out with such drivers.... it seems they came out in 1989!!! please ATI look at nvidia's linux driver....

19. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

Thanks Uberlord.
    Your commands did fix the permission problems :)
    Still was unable to complete the install though. Seems Mandrake 64 didn't include the option to install the kernel source/headers during the installation. The 32 bit version does. I'm also missing libstdc++-devel. Guess Mandrake64 10.1 didn't want anyone to have it easy lol. I've since reinstalled Mandrake 10.1 Official(32bit) so I can find the files and place them into my home directory, since I lack the commands to mount the cd drive and search the 4 cd's until I find them..very lost without a gui atm. I'll probably download and try to upgrade x.org when I try again since Mandrake is still running 6.7xx would be just my luck to get everything else configured and fail due to that.

Riv@nvx, Bulletfx, you both may find this link helpful it seems both your distro's have already packaged and uploaded the new ATI drivers you may have better luck installing those. I hope it helps G'luck!

*edit* Also to check on what packages you've got installed you can try this command for rpm based distro's.
    rpm -q <package> in addition to checking the gcc also check; glibc-devel, gcc-c++ libstdc++-devel, make, kernel-source and or headers.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  20. RIV@NVX

Thanks DarkFoss, I will try that.
    BTW, do you know how to force refresh rate over 85Hz in Linux? Not with just ATI, but overally.