Timing out during big downloads

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Tone VAIO, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

I have a fairly new Sony Vaio. I have sbc yahoo dsl and wireless. I use my dsl when trying to download large files in order to make sure i keep connected.But it keeps timing out everytime it gets to about the same amount of information. It times out after 3 % is downloaded. Im trying to download a free trial of Everquest trilogy. Its about an 8 hour download, but it stops afteer about 10 minutes. Smaller files really easy andd fast, but this just won't work at all. No viruses, no spyware, no adware. Im running Win xp home sp2. N e help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

Are you perhaps behind the router?

3. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

are you also using IE?? i cant trust it anymore with larger dloads

opera/ff with resuming capability might be a good idea

& is the dsl desyncing when the dload fails? (disconnecting) maybe try to load google at the moment of the dload failing..... your ISP might also possibly be up to something

& wireless router might also be messing up...

4. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

router

i think so. my dsl modem is also a wireless router too. I just have one box that runs my plug in ethernet and my wireless.

Yes I am running IE.

I don't think its disconnecting because im still able to surf the net when it happens.

IT looks like its still downloading, you see the file flying over to the other folder..but it is stuck because no MB are changing.

I will try Opera. Is it free?

All this fuss because i want to try the free version of Everquest b4 i buy it.lol

5. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Tried Opera, same problem. It keeps timing out at 3 % downloaded or approx 35 mb.
    Is there a way to set your computer so that it doesn't time out at a certain MB??

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

You can try a free download manager. If the download times out, you can simply pick up where it leaves off in most cases.

Check here: www.freshdevices.com

I've been using these free apps off and on for a few years now. There's a download manager that's pretty straightforward and can be incorporated into your browser of choice.

7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

opera (& FF) resumes dloads, try that before a 'manager'..... maybe the server is being mean

try another large file too, like say..... directx SDK that's like 300mb from microsoft

8. Dyre Straits

Out of curiosity, are you attempting your download from here:

http://everquest.station.sony.com/trilogy/download.jsp

If so, I'm getting a very speedy and steady download rate at the moment. File size is 1.18 GB.

Are you sure you have enough space on the hard drive you're saving it to?

EDIT: Don't feel too bad. I just got timed out after 12% of the download. :(

EDIT 2: For my own test, I've installed FreshDownload on my second computer and am downloading the file on a 2nd attempt.

EDIT 3: The download halted at around 300 MB. It took some time before I could get it to continue, but, it has picked up where it left off. It's presently over 35% completed.

UPDATED: This entire download process has been frustrating. Even with a download manager the connection breaks down about every 200 MB of file size. I've had to stop, close the download manager, restart it (even restart the computer once) in order to get it to proceed.

So, unless you have a good download manager....or something that will pick up where you leave off, this file is going to be tough to get.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  9. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Work has had me goin lately, but i am back. I have read all the posts and i thank you for all the responses.

.Yes, that is the same sight im trying to download the software from also.

hmmm, I believe i have enough memory, my laptop is fairly new and i don't have a whole lot on it. Sony Vaio SZ series with intel centrino duo and 74.1 gb free space. my largest program is probably openoffice.

i hate to buy it and find out i don' t like it.but i might have to just spring for Everquest full version.

10. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

I'd say it's the wireless problem. I had the same problem which was soilved with an updated firmware for my router. The symptoms were exactly the same. I couldn't download anything bigger from the internet, or even transfer in my lan.

11. Dyre Straits

^^^^

I'm not on wireless, though.

12. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

yes dload manager (or resumer like opera/FF)

13. Cube623

Cube623 New Member

from Dyre Straits attempt i think nothing is wrong. it's just the website you are downloading from has a crap server i think.

If you can try and download it from somewhere else otherwise get a download manager or opera to resume downloading if it fails.

don't worry i don't think anything is wrong it's just the website being on a crap server IMO :D

14. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

OK. I have Opera. But I havn't figured out how to use the resume function yet, but I will chekkc that out when I get home. I just downloaded Opera a few days ago and it is a nifty little browser.

I will also see if i can find any firmware for my sbc router.

15. Cube623

Cube623 New Member

i wouldn't worry about getting router firmware as i've stated above i think the website you're trying to download from is situated on a rubbish server.

If it does this with every big download you try to download from different websites then yes something might be wrong with your router but if this only happens with one specifc download from one specific website i would say it is the website not you.

also in opera to resume downloading i think you have to right click on the download and click pause then right click the download again and click resume but i haven't used opera in a long long time so it may have all changed again by now

16. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Hey Cube, what browser do you use?

17. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

This was the correspondence between me and the tech person on Sony's website.

Summary: Chat Session
    Product Level 1: EverQuest
    Category Level 1: Technical
    Category Level 2: Installation
    Date Created: 06/26/2006 02:28 PM
    Last Updated: 06/26/2006 02:28 PM
    Station Name:
    First Name:
    Last Name:

Discussion Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Chat Transcript - 06/26/2006 02:28 PM
    Hi, my name is TSR Johnny W.. One moment please, while I read your question.
    TSR Johnny W.: Do you have a router, firewall, internet connection sharing or antivirus software running? Do you have Kazaa or variant, AIM, pop up blocker or spyware blaster? If so what is the name of each item you have.
    Tone: hello'
    TSR Johnny W.: Are you trying to install the game from the website or from the CD's?
    Tone: from the SONY website
    Tone: it works until it gets to 3 % downloaded
    Tone: 30 mb, everytime
    TSR Johnny W.: Do you have any of the above listed?
    Tone: no kazaa or aol
    Tone: i have a popup blocker
    Tone: no spyware blaster
    Tone: my pop blocker is yahoo or google
    Tone: i have a wireless router on my dsl modem
    Tone: sbc yahoo 2WIRE
    Tone: no internet connection sharing
    TSR Johnny W.: Please tell me which router you have on your system?
    Tone: its called 2WIRE
    Tone: its built into the dsl modem provided by SBC yahoo dsl service
    TSR Johnny W.: You need to contact the tech support of your router and ask them to open the 1023 and above ports on your router and please do clean boot on your system to disable everything running in the background.
    TSR Johnny W.: You may want to try and disable the firewall, and antivirus software if they are installed.
    You may also want to that try running a clean boot, by making sure all unnecessary background programs are disabled. Please follow the directions below on how to accomplish this.

To disable background programs.

1. Select the START button.
    2. Select RUN.
    3. Type in "msconfig" (without the ")
    4. Press OK
    5. Select the STARTUP tab.
    6. For Windows 98/ME, uncheck all boxes EXCEPT for SCANREGISTRY and SYSTEM TRAY. If you use Windows XP, click on the disable all button.
    7.Hit apply and then OK. Restart the computer when prompted, then try the game again.

TSR Johnny W.: Please try doing this and if you still face the problem, then you can contact us again

Wish me luck.

18. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Well, i had my ports opened, and im still having the same issues. i have found though, that i can resume with Opera, but it sucks to have to sit here and every 3 mbs of so stop and resume the download.

i would rather just set it to download and go to bed.lol

19. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

Oh noes its Everquest! Get used to crap servers.

20. Cube623

Cube623 New Member

Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2. I think it's good even though many people absoultly hate Internet explorer