Timing out during big downloads

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Tone VAIO, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I tried IE 7 Beta 1 for a little while. There were some issues and I had to revert to IE 6 updated.

What, if any, issues do you see with Beta 2? If things are fixed, I may go ahead and give it a whirl.

2. Dyre Straits

With the Download Manager I posted, it 'should' do the reconnecting for you. I kept restarting it manually, though, due to the fact that I had it running on my other computer while I was doing other things on this one.

3. Cube623

Cube623 New Member

it's brilliant. i haven't encountered any problems with Beta 2 at all (although i didn't try Beta 1 so i can't really tell what any differences are) but i think it's fast and neat. it quite secure and it has an in built phishing filter which saved me from possible financial ruin!

I had a phishing e-mail and it was early in the morning and i was just not awake, i clicked on it and IE7 started coming up with messages saying this is probably a phishing website so i defenatly ike it! Try it Dyre Straits and see what you think i defenatly would recommend it. The only problem i can find is that it is more of a resource hog then IE6 but it's loads better than IE6 and it's still in Beta stage!

4. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Well I tried all that they said, and i even opened all my ports, and i still get the same problem. I even tried a new download manager (Free Download Manager) thats suppose to be All The Rage, and i still ge the issues. I disconnect after about 30 mb or so everytime. And the download is slooow. Only like 40 kbs a second. Should i just accept that its Everquest?

Also, any suggestions on how i can test another large file so i can know for sure?

5. Cube623

Cube623 New Member

to be honest i would except it's everquest.

to test another big download just download say a game demo or something along those lines they're normally big. go to www.gamershell.com (i use that alot) or any other demo site and try downloading a demo

6. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Ok, so typically, how fast a download should I have with DSL? I mean like an average speed? Is 39 kb/s typical? Im trying to figure out where Im suppose to be.

7. Dyre Straits

It really depends on what 'flavor' of DSL you pay for. AND, it also depends a LOT on your system settings for downloads.

Try a couple of places to test your speeds:

www.dslreports.com (Click on the TOOLS option in the top bar)

www.pcpitstop.com

These two sites have tests you can use and then compare to others using the same service you do.

8. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Ok, something freaky happened. I decided to try another large download. This one was about 50MB. Normally the download clocked at 40 kb/s. But a few times it jumped up to like 70+ kb/s. Whats that about?? How can I keep it up there?

Oh yeah, i still have the disconnection problems. But with the download software, i just click start and it piks up where it left off.

Are there any programs that restart the downloads themselves?

Is there a setting in my computer that maybe I am missing? One that could possibly be causing the timeout?

Again, any help greatly appreciated.

9. Cube623

Cube623 New Member

what internet provider are you with? and what speed is it? (right click on your connection settings to see) also are you using wireless internet or something like that?

also i don't know any download managers that automatically continue downloads but Getright is normally a good download manager so give that a go.

10. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Ok, Im at work right now(teehee)
    But I will be home soon and I will check that out.

I use wireless at home, but I have a dsl connection in my office at home, but it was timing out too.

I use SBC att/yahoo service.

11. Dyre Straits

I've tried GetRight as well as the one I posted. They both work about the same. Freshdownload does make attempts to resolve the connection and you can set it up for a maximum number of attempts. I think it defaults to 5.

And, yes, I'd like to know how your system connects to the Internet. Do you have a direct connection to the DSL modem? Do you use a Router? Wireless or wired?

12. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

54Mbps when wireless.100 mbps dsl. My modem is a 2wire, that has the dsl and the wireless. i apologize if im not giving the right info. Also, not matter which way i hook up i get the same speed, 40kbs wether wired or wireless or at work or at home!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  13. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

I ran a test and these were the results.

click START to re-test
    Preparing Speedtest . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
    running 10s outbound test (upload) . . . . . 128.45Kb/s
    running 10s inbound test (download) . . . . . . 325.09kb/s
    Your speed is 5.91 times faster than 56Kb dialup
    Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

14. Dyre Straits

40 Kbs on DSL??? That's not even as good as a 56 K dial-up over the phone line. Are you sure about that?

In most cases, DSL starts at around 1.5 Mbps and goes up....with additional costs....to around 8 Mbps.

Did you try those speed tests I linked to earlier? Try Testmy.net here:

http://www.testmy.net/

Near the upper left corner next to Home is the Download test link. As you hover over that you'll see the Download Test option. Click on it.

Then, in the next screen inside a box will be SmarTest. Click on that to start your test.

There will be a Results come up as it finishes near the bottom that you can click on to Save to your Clipboard. Do that and then simply Paste the results in your next post.

EDIT: I see you edited your post as I was responding. :)

15. Dyre Straits

OK...the next thing to look into is the NIC settings you're using inside your computer. You say you get the same speeds whether at home or at work, right? And, maybe I missed it, but, is this with the same laptop?

If that's correct, what network card (NIC) is installed? We'll have to check its settings.

EDIT: To give you an idea of how this kind of thing can affect any of us, check out my recent thread over here:

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?p=931013#post931013

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  16. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

OK, the 40kbs is what shows when im downloading something. It usually shows between 36-40kbs. But tests say im faster than that?

Yes , same laptop as the one i listed the specs for. I took it to work to see if it was my connection or my laptop.

17. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

latest tests

Your connection is: 339 Kbps or 0.34 Mbps
    You Downloaded at: 41 kB/s
    You are running: 6 times faster than 56K and can Download 1 megabyte in 24.98 second(s)

Test Time:: 2006/06/28 - 6:54pm

May need help : running at only 13.68 % of your hosts average (sbcglobal.net)
    This was tested from a 579 kB file and took 14 seconds to complete

I don't know whats wrong..
    and i can't find that program for the NIC so that i can try it...
    but at least now i have discovered I am crawling even for my DSL setting Im crawling.

18. Dyre Straits

Yes, it's your laptop....or more specifically, your wireless NIC and/or settings.

Right click on the My Network Places icon. Then select Properties from the bottom of the list.

What Device Name do you see in the Local Area Connection?

EDIT:

Well, maybe we can expedite things a little bit if you'll do this:

Go to Device Manager.

Expand the Network Adapters

Double Click on the NIC that shows there. It will be something other than NIC. (NIC = Network Interface Card) If there are multiple things listed look for the one that indicates Network Connection.

On the tabs across the top of the next screen select the Advanced tab.

Now highlight the Connection Type (or maybe Link Speed and Duplex) and notice what is showing in the box to the right. It 'should' be AutoSense

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  19. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Mine is under PCI fast ethernet controller, and it is set to auto sense.

My Intel Pro Wireless doesn't have a speed and duplex selection.:-(

This is insane. Surely this laptop can handle the speed...i think...if not, i want my money back!!!:uhoh:

20. Dyre Straits

I have an Intel ProSET for Wired Connections. The controls for it are listed in my All Programs list under Intel Network Adapters.

What you might need to do is go to www.intel.com and download the current drivers for it.

Good luck!