Timing out during big downloads

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Tone VAIO, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

So i went to SBC chatline customer support, because I did the computer side of it, so i checked to see what they had to say about the dsl.

After having me check filters and such they ran their own tests on the line and concluded that there is something wrong with the line and they need to check it out in person.

Will get back to you with the updates asap.

Thanks for all the love and support.lol Will let you know what the outcome is!

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

That doesn't explain, though, why you experience the same slowness at work.

But, if they can help you at home, all the better.

FWIW, here's my own test just completed:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
    Download Connection is:: 8049 Kbps about 8.05 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 983 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Server 1)
    Test Time:: 2006/06/28 - 10:19pm
    Bottom Line:: 140X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.04 sec
    Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 12.375 seconds to complete
    Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 55.09 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)
    D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-RGPWE48T6
    User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

3. Cube623

Cube623 New Member

Dyre Straits i think he meant he has 2 pc's at home one in his office which is connected by cable one somewhere else which is connected by wireless from his office computer so if the line is faulty then yes that would explain it :D

4. Dyre Straits

From Post #36:

"Yes , same laptop as the one i listed the specs for. I took it to work to see if it was my connection or my laptop."

No, I asked him that specifically.

5. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Yeah, i thought about that last night. It would not explain it.

I also came into work today and got almost the exact same results on my "Work Desktop" As I do with my laptop at home and when i bring it here and plug it up.

Could this be an area thing? My job is not far from my house.

WORK DESKTOP RESULTS

Your connection is: 342 Kbps or 0.34 Mbps
    You Downloaded at: 42 kB/s
    You are running: 6 times faster than 56K and can Download 1 megabyte in 24.38 second(s)

Almost identical to the results i get at home and work with my laptop. I can't tell you much about my work puter cause its not mine, but its a new Dell and im sure it should be faster than it is. Again surfing is great, but downloads and upload are lackluster.

The plot sickens....

6. Dyre Straits

It's beginning to look like it's an 'area thing'. Definitely something your provider needs to look into.

Do you have the same ISP at both work and home?

7. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

Im not sure. How do I find out what Network my job uses??

8. Dyre Straits

Do you mean ISP? As in Internet Service Provider?

Because 'network' refers to the system by which all your computers are able to communicate with one another.

If ISP is what you're looking for, the accounting department likely knows who they pay for the service.

BTW, if you tell us which ISP you use at home, we may be able to check performance right from here.

9. Cube623

Cube623 New Member

this might be a bit farfeched but normally at work and schools the workplace\school only has one or two internet connections. every single computer is connected to the same connection through the network so if there are a few people using the internet it's bound to be slow regardless at work.

do you know of anyone living nearby that has the same provider? do they have the same problem?

10. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

The skinny

Ok, the tech came out and here is the update.

There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that there is nothing wrong with my computer, which we figured.

The bad news is that, it IS my area. The DSL office thingy or whatever is really far away. The tech thought it was close, but i found out it wasn't. Soooooooo, I can't get any faster. The lady was like, don't even upgrade to a more expensive plan because you will just end up with connection problems. I can't even get the full power on the level i pay for.

I was at 333 or so kbps, she tweaked a little on her end and got me upper 600's. Told me that was the highest for my area. And there is no RT.

Sucky, but its still better than dial-up, even if barely. I think if i stay here I will try cable when my contract is up.

Thank you for all your love and letters of support and encouragement. :)

p.s Anyone know anything about TCP/IP parameters tweaking? I saw a Windows software program but didn't know if I should mess with it or not.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  11. Dyre Straits

I've been at work and just got back in a little bit ago.

I did have DSL in this area when it first came out. I'd forgotten about the distance related problems I had at that location and, YES, the distance is a big factor in how well DSL will perform. So, I can confirm you're stuck with that stinking slow speed until/unless you get Cable.

Cable is what I have now through Comcast and I've been very pleased with the support in our area.

If you go to the www.dslreports.com site and go to the TWEAKS section, you'll see a download for DrTCP. It's a very user friendly app and totally free. I'd suggest using that one in your attempt to try to tweak as much speed as you can with your present DSL.

12. Tone VAIO

Tone VAIO New Member

thanks!!

I will look into that program. If i could etch out a few more hundred kbs lol i'll take it!

Again, thank you for all the help. This is a nice forum. I wish I knew a lot more so i could be as helpful as you guys have been to me.