To 8 or not to 8

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Takaharu, Oct 20, 2012.

?

Will you buy?

Poll closed Dec 19, 2012.
  1. I'll buy it or I have bought it

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Undecided

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Looks like Stardock is going to make a killing on Windows 8, they ought to send a big fruit basket to Ballmer and, in particular, Steven Sinofsky for making it possible. :lol:

2. IvanV

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Although I haven't yet installed either of them, I did go ahead and download the three various versions back in mid-September.

These are:

WindowsDeveloperPreview-64-bit-English-Developer (5GB)
    WindowsDeveloperPreview-64-bit-English (3.8GB)
    Windows8-ReleasePreview-64-bit-English (3.4GB)

These are the ISO's and I could put them on a Dual-Layer or BluRay disc and send to you via FEDEX or UPS. No USPS!

Or, if you have some way I can upload them to a Dropbox, I could do that if you let me know which one or ones you want.

4. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

For those who would like windows media center, MS is offering free product keys for a limited time. It might take a while to get the email for your key, however (I'm still waiting after 20 hours). Check it out here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

I installed Win8 yesterday morning after picking it up for $40 on a whim. I didn't try any of the release candidates, read a lot of bad reviews online, and despite that, I am surpised to say that I really like it. I like the metro interface, even if it's very different than anything MS has done before. It took an hour to get used to, and I'm still figuring out alot of the nitty gritty changes, but I think it's really intuitive and easy to use. The OS itself is quick, even on my aging q6600. The few games I run work just as well as before, with GW2 even running a little better in highly populated areas.

IvanV likes this.
  5. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

I bought it, But honestly because it only ended up costing me $15

Sure metro is a bit different, but with one program you can get the start menu back and disable metro.

It installed in about 1/3rd the time win7 did, its more responsive, imo MS broke its every other OS is crap stigma.

6. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Also for those that dont know, Stardock has a program called start8 which disables metro ui and brings back the start menu, but with some metro flair

7. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I just remembered. My school has an MSDN account which it provides to all of its students. I might be able to get myself a legitimate copy of Win8 for free through my school! :D

What's the difference between the last two? Why is there a 400MB difference?

As for which one to provide - based on space - the ReleasePreview would be the best option for me.

8. Dyre Straits

One is a Developer's Preview and the other is for Public/Standard Use.

9. CDsDontBurn

what's the difference between developer preview and public / standard use? what features are different between the two?

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

developer preview is the first one pubically available.. oldest and less finalized... public one is basically the completed version...

11. CDsDontBurn

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

So since oct26th... i've had a handful of people come in and ask if it's necessary/worthwhile moving to windows 8...

At which point i take them over to my windows 8 test rig i have on my show table... And then plunk em down and hit the power button.

Then watch as they get kinda wowed and intimidated by the star menu screen, a little excited when they see the internet explorer block..... click on it... use it breifly.. then get ABRUPTLY irritated/lost/frustrated.

I usually at this point have to step in and show the corner solution.

Again they go dilly daddling around only to get hung up.

Majority of the time the kids seem to be less interested in the more complicated things and will just get bored.

However the adults either wanting to do some work or play or whatever get a little fed up.

And the VERY few customers that do know a few things about a machine and windows get outright pissed off when they try and find what should be the most simple things such as CONTROL PANEL not being under settings, or found anywhere simple/obvious.

I had one person up from the states that works as tech support for a major company that happened to stop in one evening out of curiousity (we get hundreds if not thousands of hunters this time of year from the states from all over). Suffice it to say, SHE after about 10 minutes of fiddling basically point blank said

"Oh fuck, this is going to make my job about million times harder, even worse is that it's even more difficult to visualize where they are if they were to try and visually explain what they are seeing to try and determine if they are even anywhere near what we'll want to get them to, TO MANY STEPS!"

Almost all of them said it's like using an iphone or android device... without the convience and more complexity and more difficult/less simple way of changine settings.

Almost all of them said that the power button has no REASON For being where it is..

AND they when they noticed the control panel is NOT under settings, they said of all things the control panel SHOULD bloody well be there, if not the control panel.. then the entire control panel list should be there at least.

I seriously wish i could have walked into microsoft and sat and pointed out What should be clearly obvious. Put this shit here.. move that shit over there, wtf is this shit, get rid of it, wtf is wrong with you guys....

13. CDsDontBurn

So, I checked out my school's MSDN product line, and OMG. I'm in heaven! Win Server 2008 R2, Win Server 2003, Win7 Pro x64, Win8 something or other x64, Office Pro 2010, and so much more! :D :D :D

Imna be downloading my copy of Win8 sometime this week and a few of those other goodies as well :D

14. IvanV

Notice that you have both x32 and x64 available and you can order both => you get two separate keys and both of them can be used to install x64 version. :)

EDIT: Also, for Windows Server, you get three keys (I think), for three different editions.

15. CDsDontBurn

I also noticed that there were 32bit and 64bit versions of the "upgrade" versions. Can those keys be used for a full install?

16. IvanV

I think so, but I don't think that you can order more than one variation of each 8 x86 and 8 x64.

17. Dyre Straits

From past experience, the answer is, No. Upgrade keys can only work when upgrading from a previous version of Windows.

18. CDsDontBurn

From past experience, I agree. No idea if this still holds true with Win8 though.

19. Dyre Straits

I can't imagine that this would have been changed. Why have an "upgrade" version at all then?

EDIT: Thinking back, it may actually allow a full install so long as you provide a KEY from a previous version. Worth a shot maybe.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  20. CDsDontBurn

I'll check it out. I probably won't be able to get around to doing any of this downloading until Friday at the earliest because of Halloween and what-not.