to update bios or not to update bios?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by drivehard454, Jan 24, 2010.

1. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Quick questions for anyone who can help. Upon being bored, I looked up the bios version for my MB and then went online to find the updates. Found out there are 7 updates since my version, which is the very first one. I have easy flash bios so I am not as worried about attemting update.

Question....Do i just go to the very latest update or do I have to do all of them in sequence? Also, should I even bother? Hard to say if I need it, but they do have quite a few fixes in the updates.

There is also two utility updates....necessary to download?

Thanks

2. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

You only need to grab the latest one, or whichever one you want.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

No, you don't need to do each one in sequence and if you have easy flash you shouldn't need the utilities. My rule of thumb is don't fix it if it ain't broken.... but 7 updates is a lot. It may be a good idea to get a little bit more current.

Are the details available for the changes made in the revisions?

4. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

It is not necessary to update if your system is working flawlessly. But if you decide to do that get just the latest version. The update utils are not needed - you can use EZ flash.

5. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

The latest Bios update contains all the fixes from the previous 6 versions..So you only need the one bios update..

If the PC is running fine then it may not be to important to update,But as for myslelf i prefer to keep everything updated..

6. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

Exactly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

7. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

just look at the fixes they made and update it if you find that it's neccesary.
    Some updates inlcude fixes so the motherboard supports newer cpu's. So that might be worth it before upgrading

8. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Like Ty, Roy.. and Optix have said Dont update your Bios unless you are looking for a special feature that is not available in your current one. Coz if something happens to go wrong you are screwed abd your board will be dead so if its not broken dont fix it :)

9. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Nuff said. I will leave it alone. I was wondering about it mostly because my brother had updated his bios one time and the CPU increased .3 mhz, and seemed to work better. So I thought maybe I would notice something also, being that it is so old already.

Thanks guys

10. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

While I do agree with the adage of not fixing anything unbroken, sometimes updates are made to make things work better.

For BIOS, I tend to use the latest version..even going as far as using betas. Of course, I make sure to do the update the safest way possible...and this includes backing up the previous version and crossing my fingers :D