Tofu..... anyone eat the stuff?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by kris23, Aug 24, 2008.

1. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

yea i was just wondering about all the benefits of it....

my friend is a vegetarian and says the stuff is good in place of meat...

now i don't plan on becoming a veggie but since the stuff has a pretty low fat content and is about the equivalent of actually eating some vegetables every once in a while.....

what if i got some tofu and ground beef and lumped them together in a gigantic burger? :confused:

would that decrease the amount of junk i shove into my system daily?

i tend to eat by far the most food out of everyone i know.....

i mean whenever i go to an in n' out i order 2 animal style 4x4s animal style fries and a medium drink.... thats my usual meal and im usually too broke to get anymore than that

yet im still smaller than most people which leads me to think its going somewhere else.... heart attack anyone? :hmm:

2. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

The traditional chinese-style tofu can also be used to treat osteoporosis.

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

lol niiice

4. cozumel

As for your diet, it would be far better just to take a disciplined approach. Eating tofu will not replace the vegetables or fruits that you fail to eat. It's all about eating a balanced diet and ensuring you are consuming the appropriate vitamins & minerals on a daily basis. It does not cost more to eat healthy foods and can save money when compared to the price of process and pre-packaged foodstuffs.

So, to answer your question:
    I have not eaten tofu yet (that I have been aware of) and you, kris, should eat heartily and eat well.

5. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

lol k so just wondering... does THIS sound healthy?

[​IMG]

and THIS

[​IMG]

i tend to get 2 of each.....or more :D

6. cozumel

By the look of things, you should change your name to kris 'coronary' 23 :)

7. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Tofu is full of protein, thats why its used in place of meat. Personally, I don't like the stuff, and I've had it prepared traditionally. It just doesn't taste good to me.

If you really do eat like that Kris, you'd better be burning a lot of calories. I mean, a shit load of them. It's won't kill you to eat that now and then, but it's best not to all the time. God, I'd feel like shit if I ate like that all the time, but I'm a bit older than you. Still, given your age, if you can get on a healthy diet now, you won't regret it in the future.

8. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

one thing i noticed is that i dont gain weight if i eat like that, but then again, i tend to walk alot....... sometimes 3 miles if i go to the mall...

and from my school to in n out and back then to my cousins place.... like 2 miles daily... dont think that alone can burn this but it is very hot around here....

9. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I have found in life that if you exercise a lot you can basically eat almost anything. Obviously if all you eat are burgers and fries thats not particularly healthy as the body needs a balanced diet to operate at its best.

When I was kickboxing a lot I would eat 3 or 3 eggs in the morning or porridge (to get a slow burn of energy throughout the day to stop me wanting to eat garbage). Then mid morning I would have 2 pieces of fruit with water.

For lunch then something like pasta or a salad with chicken and tuna and a glass of pure orange juice. Mid afternoon 3 more pieces of fruit. Then for dinner a proper home made dinner with potatoes, vegatables and red meat (for the blood and nutrients).

The thing is like most things in life a balanced diet is the way to go, if you just eat one thing you are missing out a lot of income in food which in important.

Key things to note. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, if you eat crap in the morning, you will eat crap the rest of the day. Eat a good breakfast and you wont get hungry again for quite some time so you dont "snack". Also if you eat after 9pm the food tends to lie in your stomach until the morning which is the fastest way to put on weight, most people are inactive at night and its never burnt off.

That said, exercise is very important. Walking is good but you should think of taking up a sport or doing a workout in a gym (or at home), even cardio work on an exercise bike is a good idea and they can easily fit in a room or garage at home. Certainly good for the heart.

10. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I eat it and enjoy it. Not all the time but occasionally, very tasty ;)

11. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I eat tofu sometimes, rarely as an alternative to meat though. Few days ago I added tofu to my regular meat/bean chili, didn't affect the taste much, but I like to keep my diet varied.

Too true, Michael Phelps has a ~12,000 calorie per day diet, which is pretty much what the average person should be eating in a week.

Breakfast is much neglected as a meal. When you skip breakfast, your body tends to "see" this as starvation, and slows down your metabolism, not something you generally want.

Cardio is real important too, as a fitness nut, I could go on about this subject, but in an attempt not to derail this thread too much, I'll just say I'm a huge fan of high intensity interval training (HIIT - see google).

Actually, if anyone has fitness/diet questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer them, keeping in mind that I'm no professional. :)

12. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

You may have a super high metabollic rate; there was this very good friend of mine who could eat a hog in the morning, a horse at lunch and a bull for supper and he was still as toned as MacGyver, though he would play lots of rugby, exercise, workout etc, and was a very active person always moving about and doing something when I would visit him, he'd fart alot too. :lol:

I used to be short and fat once upon a time, and...depressed. Used the food as a vector for relieving my pain, not something I want to go into in detail but when I was a kid (junior high and below) I was pretty messed up. I found that as my life got better/I worked out the problems that were causing me to be so miserable and in turn cause me to want to eat and eat and then eat some more when I was sad, I all of a sudden stopped eating all that junk food and even find it tasteless now/prefer a glass of orange juice or apple juice or ice tea to a can of coke. I rarely eat anymore chocolate and sweets anymore too and needless to say my body has thanked me for it, have lost almost 20 pounds and still losing more weight so far, I have much better relations with people since I look better (I'm tall and big now :cool: ) and feel better about myself and as someone who has been there before Kris (not being fat but eating junk food and all that stuff, etc) you feel much better/healthier/upbeat about yourself when you eat less and less of that junk food, I'm telling you, it really is just that, junk.

I'm not saying that you are depressed and that's why you eat it, etc, but rather I just wanted to share with you my story of how I stopped eating that, and started eating this (healthy food and little amounts at a time). Believe me, you'll thank us a few years from now when you have to buy life insurance and they say you're healthy as an ox and your premiums are low as hell. :D

13. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i guess my metabolism would be high then.... i eat alot, try to eat a good breakfast whenever possible and work out every couple days..... on top of my daily walks

i noticed i eat more than some of the largest people i know, these being 350lb+ people..

one thing i could stand to do is try to get a more regular eating schedule..... but its hard doing that since my school doesnt give food very often in a day...

14. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Sounds like a concentrations camp you're attending there not a school :D :D :D

15. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

just remember that most people with high metabolic rates tend to suffer in later life. When you hit 25-30 it will start slowing down. If you eat what you say you do then, then you will ermm rapidly expand ;)

16. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

That's true If you have a high metabolic rate you will burn the stuff you eat faster but like Zardon said it will catch up with you later in life:bleh:, any way on the Tofu issue its a good thing never tried it myself but hear that its really goooooood thats why Japanese people live to be so old lol:D

17. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Then again you could just try tofu for a while and let us know what you think... lol

18. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Omfg, I'm goin to In & Out

19. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

animal style 4x4 and animal fries are awesome

20. cozumel

Just backtracking on this thread a bit. But having super-high metabolic rate won't keep you healthy. You could eat a blanced deiet and be unhealthy. Or you could eat like Sumo wrestler and be unhealth. Exercise (regularly) to burn of the calories and keep you cardio-vascular systems working and body in shape is probably the most important. AND a balanced diet of some sort or another