took the plunge and got a 360

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Geminiwave, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Guyver2K5

Guyver2K5 Don't make me hungry.

wish i had a 360:(

lol

2. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

pluvious...send me your gamertag when you do. We can play gears together.

I dunno how to do friend stuff on live though...but my tag is geminiwave so i should be easy to find

3. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

I'll let you know ASAP about my game tag. I think I'll still have my old handle of "Jiggles".. but I'm about to goto xbox.com and find out before I set up the 360. (per the instuctions ;))

I stopped 2 people from buying that Nyko fan when I got my 360. The sales rep that sold it to me was about to buy it today until I told him what I read here. Then while I waiting near the game section I noticed a dude standing there gettign one to and I told him to avoid it too. heh. I told them if they want a fan make sure to get one that has it's OWN power supply and not daisy chain off the 360's.

Tried to get Gears at Best Buy today too ($44 new) but it was of course sold out. I got a bundle with 2 games for $429. GUN and Ridge Racer 6. I won't be opening up GUN and try to turn it in at Gamestop or EB's for credit toward something I really want. That is.. if they give more then $10 for it.. otherwise I'll just keep it I suppose. :( They wouldn't let me trade it out for a better game.. so I was stuck with it. Even Perfect Dark Zero would be have better IMHO.

Off to hook it up.. post tomorrow with my first impressions.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I have GUN for the PC....man this game sucks. It feels like it was made in 3-4 months.

Ridge Racer is not my type of racer, but it is better than GUN. :)

Perfect Dark Zero? Hmm, not sure about that one, I tried the demo and the game felt, odd, felt boring.
    Buy some better games for the 360.
    BTW, yesterday I bought GoW. I played through for about 25-35 min. NOT impressed. It's ok, but best 360 game? nah.

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Something I forgot to mention back a few posts was that there is a similar cooler to the Nyko Intercooler, where it snaps onto the back, however it doesn't run off the 360 power. It's called the GameXpert Xbox 360 Cooler King. Take a look at the pics on the site, and you will notice that it doesn't draw power from the 360 power cord to supply additional cooling, but it infact runs off the USB power just like the vertical stand cooler, however this one is still usuable in a vertical or horizontal position just like the Nyko one.

'Course, that isn't the first thing that stands out though. The first thing you will notice is all those video connectors. This thing is a complete connector replacement for the 360. Rather than having to buy seperate 360 cables that will cost you an arm and leg for whatever type of video connection you need (espeicially the official ones), the GameXpert has ALL OF THEM (with the exception of the DVI/HDMI of course) by way of standard connectors. Just use the switch on the back to tell the Xpert what connections you want to use, and off you go. The biggest complaint I've always had with the 360 is that the connector itself for the video output was to rigid, too long, and when the system is in it's vertical position, the connector has a lot of stress put onto it. This thing may not overcome the length issue, but it damn well relieves the other two, cuz now I can not only use shorter (to remove all the cable clutter) better quality cables, but I can use right-angle ones too for when I run the system vertically.

The drawbacks? It's only available in the UK right now (you can order it on Amazon.uk though for around $25, and have it sent here, as well as getting it through other online sites), and if you use the wireless adapter you can forget about this thing because there is nowhere to snap the adapter on. But these are minor quibles at best for what this thing provides.

6. Geminiwave

thanks alot tipstaff. tell me about this AFTER I buy my VGA cables.

damn...its actually pretty close in price too. I want one now.

7. Tipstaff

:lol:

8. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Wow.. was up until 2am last night messing with the demos and inlcuded content. Even with CRT it looks HELLA better then the old xbox. Ridge Racer looks very clean. The only issue is the text is designed for HD so on a CRT its TOOO small and almost impossible to read. ( I had to lower my 'sharpness' on my set :( ) Hook up was simple and migrating my old LIVE account couldn't have been simpler. Just a few pieces of info and it did it automatically. Nice bonus was they grandfathered in my $49.99 Gold account and won't be charging me the $59.99 until NEXT year. I expected to be charged the difference..

HORRIBLE NEWS though.. I have the crappy Hitachi drive and boy it's noisy. I placed the 360 on my tower speaker (HK 50's) so it could have proper air flow. But its pretty loud until I start up a game. I hate to say it .. but I hope mine breaks soon so I can exchange it for another shot at getting the better drive. I bought a $55 2year EXCHANGE ESP .. so I can just go pick up a new unit if it bricks within 24 months. (I assume I keep my old Harddrive and just pop it on the new unit, perserving my saves and content)

9. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

I'm enjoying my 360. Got all 3 cables, s-video, component and vga. I switch between my 29" CRT TV using s-video and my Dell 24" LCD using VGA. VGA looks alot sharper than component with the LCD. Once I get a DLP, i'll hook it up there permanenlty either with vga or component, whichever will be better.

I got 2 wireless controllers and will probably pick up the MS charger pack and an extra batt. I have a wired controller which i use for the PC so if i need a backup, it's there. Got 2 headsets, Live Vision webcam (on the PC now though) and just recently got the HD-DVD player. Thinking of getting the wireless headset too... and what about that steering wheel? Hmmm...

Haven't been playing much lately though, trying to catch up on some PC games. I finished Farcry Instincts on XBox and have it on 360 so looking forward to replaying it on the 360 and then doing the next chapter. I was also playing FC:IP alot on Live, but my trial ran out and haven't signed up again. Soon.
    Other than that i have Perfect Dark Zero, Amped3, Test Drive Unlimited and just picked up Black for the XBox. It runs nice through the emulator. I also tried alot of demos, my HD is full right now.

All that's missing is time... Not enough hours in a day...

10. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

I'm going to use normal batteries instead of the rechargables. Check the voltage on those .. 1.5v is better then the 1.2v you get with rechargable IMHO. Not to mention the extra cost of the charger system and batteries. (I buy my AA's at Costco in bulk so I have plently to feed my pad)

11. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

Pluvious : I'm debating. I have Energizer NiMH rechargables, which charge in 30 mins. Plus what counts are Ah no? What is the Ah on an MS batterie? The higher the voltage the more it drains the Ah... i think. Higher voltage is not really needed, if only to make the motors for the rumble stronger... My Energizers are 1.2V @ 1850 mAh.

BTW, i forgot 2 things. I also have 360 streeming off my PC. No real use for it because they are about 15 feet apart, but it's still cool to access your songs, pictures and video through the dashboard.

The other thing is HDMI. It sucks to have a high end gaming console in 2006 and only have analog connections. So MS would have to issue a new board for HDMI? Whatever the real reason, i guess they figure most people will have it hooked up in their living rooms to a CRT so why factor in the extra cost.

12. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Well... just got back from Walmart and scored Dead Rising for $32. They let me exchange the unopened GUN game (pack in) without the receipt! SCORE. (I had to pay the differnece.. but $32 was better then what EB's was going to give me for trade in. $5. Thank god I didn't break the seal on the packaging..

Yeah.. 1.5V would be better for the rumble.. I'm not going to be blowing through batteries too fast I think.. so I'm going to stick with Duracells.

I'd like to stream stuff off my PC too.. but I'm not sure the hook up.. I've been unhooking my cable directly off my pc and going direct to the 360. Don't I need a router or something to access my pics and stuff?

Is there a way to customize your gametag picture?... I'm not sure I like the options they provide which are all bassed on 360 games.. feels like I'm pimping their games for them.

13. Rawr

Rawr New Member

Yeah I'm pretty clueless on how to access pictures / mp3s from my XBOX to my PC..not sure what I have to have going on my PC to make the connection. Am I suppose to use Zune software or what?

14. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

If you go into the options blade on the Xbox one of the settings gives you a little code. You need to enter this into media connect on your PC. You will need to run through a router though. To be honest it's a little hit and miss. Sometimes it connects it other times you have to go hunding through services on your pc to start the correct service. It's a pain in the ass. For some reason Autopatcher stops the service whenever you update it.

15. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You don't need a router as far as I know. I have the 360 connected not to a router but straight to my PC through ethernet, then share the internet connection. Thus Live and possible streaming/sharing of files, though I haven't tried the last one since I have no interest in it.

16. Tipstaff

There are a ton of gamertags to choose from, either by default on the system, or via download from Live or other content (like OXM CDs). There is one way to do a custom tag though. I know that if you have the Live Vision camera you can use images taken with it as gametag pics (my friend has done this). However, there is one catch. With the 360 you have 2 gamertag pictures: one that is personal (which is also the one your friends can see), and one for public. I know the pic that you take with the camera works for the personal/private gamertag, but I don't think it works for the public gamertag. I think it has to do with Microsoft wanting to keep all posibilities of people abusing it down to a minimal (ie. no nude, or obscene gamertags). Don't know of any other way to get custom ones.

As for the rechargable battery options, for myself I bought the official battery from Microsoft (just for warranty concerns), but I picked up the charge cable from Pelican. By doing this I saved myself about $10. 'Course, this was before the charging stations came out. There are a bunch of them out there, but the best 2 are from Microsoft and Nyko. The Microsoft one comes with the charger, and a second battery, while the Nyko one comes with the charger, and 2 batteries. Both are the exact same price too at $30 US. The plus goes to the Nyko one as it does both batteries in 2 hours (the MS one does only 1 in 2 hours, 2 batteries in 4), and comes with 2 batteries, however the Microsoft charger is more compact. If you already have a battery, or are concerned with the warranty on the controllers, go with the Microsoft one. Otherwise go with the Nyko one.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  17. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

I have a router, so 1 cable from the PC and 1 from the 360. Before upgrading to WMP11 i was using Windows Media Connect. WMP11 now incorporates media sharing, kinda replaces WMC, so i just go into the sharing menu, select the 360, add the folders i want and then from the 360 side let if find the PC and it will see all the files in the folders i selected.

Pluvious : Get the Live Vision camera...

[​IMG]

You can also use it to blend video into the dashboards background...

[​IMG]

18. Raptor

Raptor New Member

Hey, a got a 360 too! Hooked it up to my Dell 2001fp and optical out to my Logitech z5500. Using the MS VGA HD cable and the picture is astoundingly good. Got GOW and PGR 3. I am really impressed! :eek: I updated the 360 so it could play the old 'xbox' games (got live gold) and put in Black and even it looks and plays like a second generation product. It looks fantastic! Just wish I had a tad bigger panel but the 360 and the accessories and games really cleaned me out for along while. :tears: Wow, GOW is hard tho. Gonna take me awhile to learn the control scheme.

ps: I beat Pluvious by a day, bwhahahahaha :p

19. Geminiwave

Pluvious...Raptor...what are your gamertags?

20. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Sorry wrong thread, saw the title and thought this was the Saddam Hussein thread.

Shuffles out embarrased:oops: