Torrent's Mess Up My Router!!

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by thingsthings, Dec 16, 2005.

1. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

HELP!!! Torrent's Mess Up My Router!!

I've tried both Bitcomet and Azureus to see if it was anything to do with the application rather then the actual download being a torrent. I've got a modem connected through to the router, the router is connected to my pc.

Now, here is the problem. When I am browsing (not downloading torrents), the internet is fine, as soon as I start to download a torrent, the timer will start clicking (not literally). Whether it's 5 mintues or 20 mintues, the net will die. As I've already stated, that I have tried using another torrent downloading program, but it has the same behaviour. I've port forwarded to ensure that the applications can do their thing, but as it stands, if I want the internet, I have to stop downloading torrents......but I don't want to do that.

Any suggestions?

TnT (not the dangrous kind)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Firstly what router are you using are you on the latest firmware?
    Are you allowing port access to the software via the router ok?
    lastly are you sure its the router? some ISPs now block P2P etc for legal reasons.

3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

i have the same problem with my belkin router if i use it just for browsing its great fire up bitcomet and within 15 mins my net connection is dead but the router is still downloading ok

just lose the ability to browse and email ,

port forwarding is set up and the firmware is the latest

4. Rasta Monsta

Rasta Monsta Just an Average Joe...

I have read that some DLink routers are crashed by Bit Torrent. . .

rasta

5. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

I've got an Actiontec Router R3010UW with the latest firmware out for it. The router itself allows you to forward ports based on the pc rather than a specific program. What I have done...for example.....Bittorent using port 54845, so I have told my router permitted port forwarding for port 54845 (udp and tcp) for host '192.168.0.10' (assigned by router using DHCP).

I know other people who are served by the same ISP as I am, and have no problems with P2P s/w.

Any suggestions?

TnT (not the dangerous kind)

6. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

anyone have any idea as to what the problem could be?

7. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

When you bypass the router, does it work normally?

8. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

Yeh, bypassing the router allows my internet to run fine even when I'm downloading using bitorent. However, as soon as I introduce the router to the network, I'm back to getting the problem. If I wasn't sharing an internet connection then it wouldn't need to worry about the router.

So I need to get this thing sorted, having to hard reboot the router every 10 seconds is getting beyond annoying.

9. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

From the guides I've read when a router's involved, bittorrent uses multiple tcpip ports. So if you have your listening port set at one number, make sure to forward, say, the next couple hundred ports as well to see if that helps. For instance, for default BT ports, you'd have to forward tcp/ip ports 6881-6999 for it to run correctly and to give you decent speed.

10. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

I've forwarded 10 more ports after the original one that Azureus uses. Still, the problem continues.

Is there anything else that I can try?

11. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

you might want to try and lower the number of incoming connections allowed to your bt client. it might be overloading the router if you have multiple ips connecting to your pc

12. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

its the router :)

Get a Netgear modem/router (all in one rather then 2 devices) they use cisco chips and can handle all the connections.
    If you dont have money lower your max connections in azureus to 50 and see if it still crashes.. it shouldnt do.
    Seen it before on my old dlink modem/router... which I sold quicker then you can download 1 album with 6MB

13. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I agree, DLINK are quite terrible. The only routers I buy are netgear (their online support site is also great IMO), never failed me yet and cause the least issues out of the handful ive tried.

14. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

My Dlink has been purring a long since May of 2004 /w no issues.

15. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

i noticed a kind of similar problem with me,awile ago,dosent do it anymore because i turned on DMZ or maybe it was jsut comcast but it would take my net like 3 hours to go out instead of 20mins or so its doing to u and it would to it when i didnt download torrents......ur sure it dosent do it even when u dont download???and yes dlink is horrible ive switched to a linksys recently (these problems were when i was useing the linksys tho)try turning on DMZ and make sure its set to the right lan ip

16. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

The problem always occurs when I'm downloading torrents whilst connected to the router. At the moment I am having to disconnect from the router and directly connect the modem to my pc in order to download any torrents (which is just a tad bit annoying to say the least).

I would rather stick with my router (Actiontec Wireless Cable/DSL Router R3010UW) if it is at all possible to get around the problem without forking out for a new router.

I've checked high and low on sites to see if I can come across anyone with similar problems who may have found a solution, but no luck.

Any more suggestions would be much appreciated.

17. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

dam it its the router!
    try a friends netgear...

18. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

Came across this unit.

NETGEAR MR814 802.11b Wireless Access Point Router

For £20 considering most routers are in and around the £60 mark, this sounds too good to be true. Has anyone got one of these or something similar? Considering I'm buying off ebay, I need to make sure, don't like the hassle of sending things back from online purchases.

19. sarelc

sarelc New Member

no problems with d-link here, but thingsnthings has an actiontek so i'm not sure what relevance that has :)

as someone else said, it's likely the number of connections you're trying to make is too high. when the router gets overloaded, it resets itself. all "broadband" routers do this as a last ditch effort to keep your network running. i looked at actiontec's site, but it contains no useful information about the limits of your hardware.
    the settings you need to change will be different for every program. azureus will be the hardest to set up because it gives you the most control. basically what you want to do is play with the "global maximum connections" number - 200 is a good starting point. tweaking other options can also improve your results, here are a few tips:
    -set the max connections per torrent to about 1/4 of your global maximum. so if your global is 200, setting each to be able to make 50 connections should achieve a good balance.
    -use your queue. don't have more than 6-10 torrents active at a time. 2 downloading and 4 uploading will give you pretty good speed on all of them. if your program has the settings for it, allow it to activate extra ones if an active torrent is getting less than a certain speed (1.5k/s for instance)
    -limit your upload AND download bandwidth: you have a set amount of bandwidth - your downloads will suffer if your upload speed is maxed, and vice versa. azureus and utorrent at least have changeable bw limiters, so you can quickly change the limits to numbers you need - lower when you're surfing, and higher when you're only concerned about getting that one file you need in a hurry. so when you increase one, decrease the other, and you'll get better results. ex: 112D/26U, 90D/32U, etc (for 1Mbit dsl)
    -lower your maximum upload slots per torrent. 2 is good for general downloading, but if you need speed on a torrent with a lot of leeches, increase that one individually to 4-5 - the more you upload, the more data you'll get from the seeds.

[edit: you might also want to disable DHT, as that alone will dramatically reduce the number of connections.]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  20. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

I'm using Bitcomet to download. Now, before I connected the router, I was getting a good download rate of 25-30Kb (even though I have a 3mb connection, this is deemed to be good when downloading torrents, well for me anyway). I introduced the router back into the equation. Tweaked those settings you suggested. Not sure if I have done the correct settings, I can't seem to get a rate higher then 5kb now.

This is what I did.

1. Went to Bitcomet's preferences.
    2. Clicked on Advanced and then it's sub option "Connections"
    3. Within' the sub category I did the following
    ------------a) untick "Enable DHT Network"
    ------------b) set "Maximum Connections per task" to 50
    c) set "Global Maximum Upload slots" to 200
    3. On the Connection option set the uploads speed to "15" and "unlimited" to download.

Are those changes what you suggested? I'm not too sure about setting 3b. Not sure if it was the upload you wanted me to change, though that was the only one there I could see.