Touch Screens really such a good idea for computing?

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 13, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Most of you have used a touchscreen at some stage, whether it is checking in at your doctor's waiting room or in a baggage section at the local airport. As a home system for a computer however I personally fail to see the benefits - your hands get fatigued and the screens end up a mess of fingerprints and marks.

I read with great interest an article on the Washington post last night which details some of the new technology and explains that touch experts say keeping your hands above your heart for a long period of time isn't an ideal situation.

Microsoft have an interesting take on the technology with the Microsoft Surface computer, this is a low table which rests in front of you.

It is an interesting topic and I would like to hear your views on the matter. Would you be interested in a laptop with touchscreen technology?

Allan Campbell Heaven Media

2. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I've used the Fujitsu P1510D subnotebook, which is convertible to a tablet. When in tablet mode the only mode of interaction is touch, but I know that if it had a touch point control in tablet mode, there's a chance I'd have used that instead. On my Samsung i780 phone I regularly use the "mouse" mode control instead of the touch screen, for accuracy.

Generally, touch works when there's nothing better. I don't like touch pads, so I'd prefer a touch screen over them. For current e-books, the slow screen update and limited controls means that a touch screen is the best control for selection.

Touch may also be more intuitive. A mouse isn't intuitive at all, but it's familiar enough to most people that it's second nature.

Come to think of it, the Wii controller is quite intuitive for most people, since it's basically pointing at the screen. A controller of this sort that's pretty small may be a better solution for standard monitors. If something detected when my finger is pointing at the screen (either through computer vision or a small device on it) and was able to follow it around, it could potentially allow me to select things without moving my hand from the keyboard, which would be nice -- much nicer than having to touch the screen.

3. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Not a fan, especially with phones or pda's when you drop it bye bye for your screen also the responsivness is to question, you know when you wanna select an option but that button gui is too small you end up selecting something else..... we'll see where this technology will go. I personally feel like the future of computers will be with visual responsive systems like the wii, or minority report

4. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of it for a laptop or even netbook. I think it can work on something nice and small handheld, like the iPhone, in fact I really like the touch screen gui on the iPhone, but I don't think it would work on a bigger heavier machine, it's ok if you're at a bus stop using the screen built into the shelter to find cinema times, but not on a laptop running windows.

5. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

I like the idea of a touchscreen that lies on the desk replacing the keyboard/mouse, particularly for graphics/modeling apps; however i still want a vertical main screen for viewing.

6. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I can't imagine it taking off at all besides tablet PCs which can rest on your lap. Just imagine trying to play an FPS in prodabble mode, it'd suck so hard.

I say keep it to phones and PDAs

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

i'm with LeanWolf on that one, as a secondary display/input device it'd be perfect, especially for audio and graphics

8. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Nah , not interested . Prefer a fingerprint-free screen , mouse is much better . I am already fed up with Laptop touch pads.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

As a secondary screen/input device I can see it being useful, especially for graphics/audio production as mentioned by others here. It would have to be laying flat or slightly angled on the desktop for comfort.

As the only screen, such as on a laptop..... not so much for me.

10. CitySlicker

CitySlicker Banned

Bah, these screens are a real bio hazard - full of germs and grease from other people. There is no better way to transfer diseases just like supermarkets.

can't stand that touch crap

11. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

I hate those things too, I thought I was the only one. Gimme a muse and keyboard anyday:cool:

12. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

what 'til you try a multi-touch trackpad - then come back to me ;)

13. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Yeah the Apple touch pads are pretty nice. still prefer a mouse though.

14. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

for sensitive tasks, like photoshop or riding faders in an audio app, I prefer a nouse too, but the trackpad on my air is a massive step above any PC touchpad i've used, to the point where I've got no problem carting my laptop around without a mouse

15. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Well , IMO it is impossible to game without a mouse too :D

16. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

an RTS would be interesting with a multi-touch pad if it were designed for it, but anything else, no way

now I think about it, a touchscreen RTS.... could be pretty cool