Toyota: Probably will never own one

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by Dyre Straits, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

This is mostly in reference to the late models of the Camry and Prius.

While my PT Cruiser has been in shop a few times, the last two instances I was assigned Toyotas to drive. My warranty covers the use of the rentals while my car's in the shop for warrantied repairs.

So, with the Camry, I had it a few days. And, during those few days, I lost count of the number of times my accelerator foot would slip off the accelerator pedal. Something about the way the foot well is designed would guide the heel of my foot to a point where the pedal would slide off the end of my shoe. This happened at least somewhere between 25-30 times during the few days I drove that car.

Now, my PT is back in the shop since this past Tuesday night and, on Wednesday I was assigned a late model Prius. This car has some really nice features and does handle very well.

But, once again, it's just like the Camry where the foot well is concerned. At least a dozen times over the past few days, I've had exactly the same thing happen.

This doesn't work out very well if you actually want to GO anywhere.

And, while I don't have huge feet, my 9 1/2 size foot should be well within the scope of being able to keep my foot on the gas. At least I'd like to think so, anyway!

And, having been driving now for nearly 48 YEARS, this is the first time I've had something like this happen. So, it's definitely not ME at fault here.

Any Toyota owners here? What has been your experience?

2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I've driven plenty of priusses but never had this occur to me.

3. Dyre Straits

Just out of curiosity, don't you drive on the opposite side of the road from what we do here in the USA? If so, wouldn't your driver seat be on the right side of the car instead of the left?

And, if this is true, I'm not sure if the situation would remain the same due to the difference.

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Toyota have a reputation here for building boring cars that don't have that type of issue. Or indeed anything else actually wrong with them.

But we also have our steering wheel on the right-hand side of the car. (As do Japan and NZ, afaik.)

Why you people put it on the wrong-hand side is totally beyond me :D

5. Neshi

the time I drove cars was still when I was living in the Netherlands. Had a job at a Toyota dealer at the time and drove at the right hand side of the road there too (steering on the left hand side).

6. Dyre Straits

So, what year models would those cars have been? I know that the ones I've driven this year are at least the last 2 year models.

7. Neshi

oh, that's right.. probably not the same. That was when the Prius was first released.

8. Dyre Straits

Yeah, I had to wonder because, as I stated, there's something in the way the foot well is designed in these that naturally guides my heel to a point where the placement is all wrong. If I were to have to drive one of these for an extended period, I'd have to come up with some kind of floor mat that would compensate for this and force my foot more to the right. I'd probably have to put some "filler" under the mat to make it work.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

My Father and sister both have Toyotas but they aren't the last two years models. Sisters is the newest, 2004, and I've never had this problem and neither have they.

Maybe it's Toyota's way of fixing the "acceleration problem" they have had in the recent years. ;)

10. Dyre Straits

That actually is something I've thought about, too.

11. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Maybe you could try a car that's not a Toyota?! It seems unlikely, but it could be that the PT got you used to pressing the pedal in a specific way that doesn't work well with other manufacturers. Seems to me like either every Toyota is weird, or the PT is.

12. Dyre Straits

Since it's just a few days that I have to drive these rentals, I'm not really inclined to request a different car. (Mine is supposed to be ready to pickup tomorrow.)

As I mentioned previously, I've been driving for almost 48 years now. I've driven small cars, big cars, pickup trucks, buses, all kinds of vehicles - both "foreign" and "domestic". I've never had this problem on any of them except for these last two Toyota's.

13. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Have you ever driven an auto rickshaw?

[​IMG]

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Those were all before you got used to the Cruiser :p

No, but I once persuaded a busker to let me play his guitar.

15. Calliers

My father once got driven in an auto rickshaw by a taxi driver while in India, he said the experience scared the beejesus out of him. Apparently traffic in India doesn't follow any particular rule of flow and people (especially taxi drivers) just go up and down any lane they want lol.

16. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Off topic, but related to what Allan said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhT9LRkJJh0

This video is of particular interest to me, because I'm considering going on a "banger rally" to Murmansk this summer - http://www.dakarchallenge.co.uk/challenge/murmansk+challenge/. I probably won't, but I might do a banger road-trip of some sort. Basically, the idea is to take a car that I do not care about ruining, and if I have to, scrap it somewhere and get the train back. It all depends on whether I can persuade a few mates to join me :)

Anyway, sorry for derailing your thread, Dyre.

17. Calliers

18. Neshi

If you have watched Top Gear, especially one of the specials, you will realize there are lots of places around the world where the term 'traffic rules' fall on deaf ears. ;)

19. Calliers

I think I know the special you are talking about,, the one where they were delivering food prepared by worker's wives to workers and racing the train that is usually the one that does the same thing right? :D :D :D

Yeah that was a good one, and yes I did watch a lot of Top Gear, the British one, not the new crappy American one, it is an -excellent- show. I have to get that new Blu-Ray they've put out, "The Worst Car in the World". :lol:

20. Neshi

There is the middle east special as well.. it's a dual carriage way, 2 lanes each side. But the traffic is just barreling down one of the sides of the road.. up and down the same 2 lanes, leaving the other side completely deserted.