Tracking PCs anywhere on the Net

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Mar 4, 2005.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

A University of California researcher says he has found a way to identify computer hardware remotely, offering a new way to bypass some common security techniques and unmask anonymous Web surfers.

Tadayoshi Kohno, a doctoral student, wrote in a paper on his research: "There are now a number of powerful techniques for remote operating system fingerprinting, that is, remotely determining the operating systems of devices on the Internet. We push this idea further and introduce the notion of remote physical device fingerprinting...without the fingerprinted device's known cooperation."

The potential applications for Kohno's technique are far-reaching. For example, it could be possible to track "a physical device as it connects to the Internet from different access points, counting the number of devices behind a NAT even when the devices use constant or random IP identifications, remotely probing a block of addresses to determine if the addresses correspond to virtual hosts."

2. eggs420

eggs420 my bud > yours

I challenge him to determine how many devices are on my NAT. :rolleyes: I smell dung on this one. Sure you can attempt to fingerprint a system based on its stack response time, but surely there are too many variables that will effect that to make it truely usefull at least currently.

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Brought to you by your local chapter RIAA/MPAA. Your hard earned settlement dollars at work!!!