Trouble with my Geforce 4 TI 4400 and Win XP

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Spigot, May 11, 2002.

1. Spigot

Spigot ph34r the l33t ducky

Hey all. I hope you can help me out here!

I just purchased an Xtacy GeForce4 TI 4400 128MB card to replace my Voodoo 5 5500.

So far, I love the card, but every so often it just locks up Win XP Home and I have to do a restart of the system (sometimes by doing the 3-finger salute, sometimes with the reset button)...

It only seems to lock up when I'm gaming though. If I'm just using 2D apps, it works fine.

I have a P4 1.6 GHz w/ 256 MB DDR RAM.

I downloaded the latest WinXP detonator drivers from Nvidia. the 28.32 I believe.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Spigot

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

When you installed it...

...did you do a complete system re-install? Or how did you go about un-installing the Voodoo drivers?

Also, what apps do you normally have running in the background when ya game? (Norton, AOL, anything like that?)

3. Spigot

nope. I didn't do a complete re-install of XP. I was hoping I wouldn't have to. I had the amiga-merlin drivers for the Voodoo 5 and I did uninstall the 3DFX tools...

I only have ICQ and possibly MSNMessenger running in the background...

4. Spigot

When I look in Regedit

I found this:
    HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIGSystemCurrentControlSetSERVICES3DFXVSDEVICE0Mon22446688

I noticed an NV key below the 3DFXVS key... should I delete the 3DFXVS key? I don't want to totally bork my system, but I'd like to avoid a reinstall if I can help it (or is WinXP friendly when you reinstall it?)

Thanks for the help. I just want to get my card up and running properly.

---
    (this is new with my edit)
    Ok. I went through Regedit and looked for every instance of 3DFX and deleted that key (except where it was attached to a game or search key). I've been running the various tech demos from Nvidia and the card still locks up. Esp. on the Squid one.

I'm calling it a night for now. I hope someone can help!

5. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Could you post your system specs and possibly what drivers you're using with the motherboard... thx!

6. Spigot

my specs

Ok. Here are my system specs:

Pentium 4 1.6GHz processor
    Asus P4S333 MB
    256MB DDR RAM
    Geforce 4 ti4400 (128MB)
    Soundblaster Live Value!
    hmm... 60 gig drive
    XP Home

I had a Voodoo 5 5500 on the system until 2 days ago and was using the Amigamerlin drivers.

I just upgraded everything and put together the box about 2-3 weeks ago.

Here's what I got from the Belarc System Profile re: my mb.
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S333 REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4S333 ACPI BIOS Revision 1004 02/07/2002

Oh, and nothing is overclocked or anything. I want to make sure this brand new system is nice and stable before I do anything wacky.
    Let me know if you need any more info to help me with my troubles.

7. Spigot

Here's the error message I get when I restart XP after the system crashes

When I restart XP and get the error message, the error details are as follows.

"szAppName : Drivers.Display szAppVer : 10DE0251A2003C1545
    szModName : nv4_disp.dll szModVer : 6.13.10.2832 Offset : FD3406EA "

Is that helpful?

8. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Ok, first let's make sure that you do a clean install of the nVidia drivers. You might want to back up registry before just in case something goes wrong.

First, make sure that everything related to 3dfx is removed from the system - so check in add/remove control pannel to make sure there's nothing related to 3dfx there - if there is, remove it!

Now, from add/remove control panel - remove nvidia drivers but don't re-start yet! Before u restart, go to registry and scroll down to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video] - remove all keys underneath. You might have 1,2,3,4,5, etc keys - all should be removed. Now u can restart!

when u boot back to windows, the system will display message(s) saying the display adaptor isn't configured, not set to maximum...etc...ignore it for now. Next install 28.32 drivers, either manually by going to device manager and upgrading the current winxp default driver (12.40) or you can use nvidia automatic install program. Both should work.

Reboot when asked, when u boot back to windows, chage resolution to whatever u like, enable nView if u wish, etc, install refresh rate fixer (so u can play games @ more the 60Hz) - I think refreshlock v2.01 does the trick. Now play some games and report back on whether the problem is fixed. If not, at least u have fresh install of drivers so we can look @ something else next.... good luck!

9. Spigot

This might be the cause of the problem after all...

Ok. I sort of feel like an idiot.

I just checked the power supply on this box and it says:

Input: 100-200/200-240V~,7/4A,60/50Hz
    Output: 235 W

I bet that's just a tad too low to effectively run the Geforce 4 :p

Do you think that's the problem? What wattage should I pick up?

If I get a new power-supply and I still have problems, I'll try your wipe and re-install of the Nvidia drivers, Mark_Fox. Hopefully a new power supply will fix things!

10. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Yeah. I really think you should get a better power supply - 300+ I suggest - the more the better. 235W is just a bit too low I think ;)

11. Spigot

Got a replacement

Well, I took my 235W power supply back to the store I picked up the case from and they gave me a 250W with the auxilliary plugs for the MB. They didn't have anything higher than a 250W and they did say they were running a GeForce 4 ti4600 fine with the 250W w/ the extra MB plugs, so I hope this gets everything back on an even keel.

I'll post later tonight and let everyone following this sorry story how things are working out.

Thanks for the help though!

12. Spigot

Well, it looked like it was working...

hmm... Well, Morrowind worked just great for the last hour or so. Just locked up now though. Same crash as before... just freezes, then about 10-30 secs later reboots by itself.

Sigh. I guess I'll have to scrape my pennies together and see if I can find somewhere that has 300+ Wattage PS's around here. We'll see if I have many more problems overnight though.

Any recommendations for what type of PS is the best? I've heard Enermax is a good brand.

---
    New w/ the edit
    ---
    Gah! I followed Mark_Fox's advice and did a fresh re-install of my Nvidia drivers and wiped the Registry clean.

Everything was up and running and I threw in Medal Of Honor to see how things would go. It worked like a dream for about an hour and a half and then, bam, freeze and reboot again.

Sigh.

13. FastGame

FastGame New Member

I had your problem once and to this day I can recreate it by rolling back to 28.32 drivers. The 28.32's will lock games on my box , yet the 27.42 , 27.50 , 28.80 , 28.90 all work fine.

Also don't think....well actually I know it's not a conflict between any old drivers , cuz that just don't happen in XP. I have 5 sets of Nvidia drivers & 3 sets of ATI drivers on My Game rig plus the same type setup on 3 other comps. I can go back -n- forth between all and switch between the Ti 4600 & ATI 8500 at will , no problems , system restore is rather large though. Anyway not saying everyone should have a bunch of drivers in XP , but doesn't matter if you do just takes up space. The Add & Remove should work just fine on Old drivers.

Could also be a setting in your Bio's that needs adjustment , can't say cuz don't know what you have things set to ?

As far as power supply goes ? well I'm an Electrician so I think the First & Foremost upgrade on a computer should be a top notch power supply , makes me smile when I say that...makes others smile when they do it , lots of problems go away with good power supply. I have a Antec 510 watt supply & works great , Enermax is great also. 350 watts should be fine but what the heck if ya got some extra cash get the Big Boy , you can always take it with ya on your next upgrade.

Anyway do as Mark_fox suggest and also try some other drivers , give more info on Bios settings and no matter what...go get that nice Power Supply :)

14. Spigot

Going to get a new PS today

So the 28.32's are bad drivers, eh? I might just upgrade to the newer ones then.

I am going to go out today and get myself a new PS. I don't have lots of cash though, so I can't be too greedy. I'll make sure I get a good one for what I can afford though.

I DID clean out all of the old registry keys and re-installed the Nvidia drivers (28.32).

Oh, and as for the BIOS, I've pretty much left it alone since I got my system. Which settings would cause problems or should I possibly tweak? It's an Award bios... Asus P4S333 board...

Thanks for the help (again)... I can't wait until I can declare the problem fixed and close this thread :cool:

15. Spigot

BIOS setting

Ok. I upgraded to the 28.90 drivers.

Medal of Honor crashed again, after about 20-30 minutes of play.

I'm definately going to go and get that 350W or so PS today.

Question about my BIOS.

I looked in there and saw that the AGP FastWrite was disabled. Should I enable it? It looks like the GeForce 4 supports it, but I don't want to do anything rash and have my card catch fire :p

16. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Re: BIOS setting

No leave it disabled, it causes system instabilty, something u already have enough of as it is...lol

Question, u said u just put this system together, did it have voodoo5 in it before u upgraded to geforce4 or did u put it together and at the same time put geforce4 card in there?

17. Spigot

I put it together and had the Voodoo 5 in for about 2 weeks or so before I got the GeForce.

I was looking at my BIOS. The AGP aperature is 64, I turned the FastWrite on, but I can turn it back off if that's better...

I'm off to get the new PS shortly. Let me know if there are any other BIOS settings I should change.

18. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

The AGP Aparature should be set to higher in my opinion. 128 at least, my is on 256.

19. Spigot

Got a new power source... again...

Ok. Let's see if this works. I went out today and picked up a nice dual-fan 350 W power supply. I think it's called Silver or something (I'll have to look at it again)

I did have an interesting conversation with the guy who sold it to me. He stated that P4's pretty much require 250W to run the basic processes. And with a 4X AGP card it jumps up to 300W minimum.

No wonder I was having problems.

I'll be installing the new power supply when I get home from work and hopefully all will be well. Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll post an aftermath report once I've taken the new PS out for a spin tonight!

PS. I cranked the AGP aperature to 256MB earlier this morning... the performance was much improved for the brief time that everything worked... then it locked up again :tears: Hopefully that won't happen again!

20. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yes lets hear how it goes, ive been watching this thread with interest.......